• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Tires????

LaZyDayZ

I recently bought a used 400 Cat to be used for Ice fishing.

I read this forum often and hear about tires and how they make the difference in getting stuck or not.

I know little to nothing about tires and thought it might be good discussion.

Mine are stock but I do have a set of chains. Will upgrading my tires make that much difference and if so what does a guy look for for snow and ice?

Thanks,

I have a 400 yammy and have stock tires. I have never been stuck on a lake. I've pulled my portable and my 6 X 12 on wheels through an amazing amount of snow with no problems. I do have chains also, but generally only like those for glare ice. you should have no problems with stock tires, unless they are too worn, or you are pulling a ton

Hey LD,

For ice, you're not going to get much better than having chains on. For deep snow, you'd be better off with deep lugs, to paddle through the snow. Chains wouldn't work well on deep lugged tires. Taller tires would also benefit you in snow, but, you only have a 400 so, 30-inchers might not be a good choice wink.gif

I'd suggest putting the chains on and trying it out this year, since it's your first. Rather than spending some money.

I have ITP589's 27 inchers on my grizz, a very big improvement over the stock tires. the stock tires will be ok through lower snow amounts, and you seem to spin plenty, but the bigger tires pull right through with little work.

Deeper snow you can go with tracks but that can get a tad spendy. For traction you cant beet chains.

Here are a few tips. Chains are hard on your cement/pavement and they will leave some marks. If you have a ramped trailer with the "grating" on the ramps the good "V" bar chains are also hard on those. Chains have a tendence to flop arounf when installed. So when you install them plan on spending a few hours to do it right.

1) Pull your tires off

2) Let all the air out of your tires

3) Get those chains on AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN

4) Air up the tires and install them.

5) Do a real low speed pass to make sure you have good clearence on your machine with the chains on. Make sure you get a full range of motion on the front end when stearing.

I had chains for my SP700 and set up like this it hooked up real nice on the ice. The chains didn't flop around on it at any speed. Pluss no bungee cords to worry about loosing.