• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you think?

RonZych

I have someone at work that is selling his 96 xc 600 and a 8+8 trailer(Not drive on off) for 1500.00. The engine has 3600 miles on it. It looks to be in excellent condition. I havent done a comp. check on it yet. He wants to sell it because he hasnt had a vehicle to pull it for a year. He is the type of person that takes good care of things.(Unlike me) crazy.gif

Does this sound like a good deal?

I may be able to bring him down 1 or 2 hundred.

I don't need the trailer so I would sell that and get some of the money back.

Ron

You will get a few opinions on that sled, some have had good luck with them...some not...I wouldn't pay $150 for the sled.. grin.gif The crank bearings in those triple's(I assume it's the triple) of that era were suspect to say the least.....Keep looking...If you don't need the trailer you should be able to find something a LOT better than that...

XC 600 is a twin

XCR 600 is a triple

Sounds like a decent deal to me. If you can get him to drop a couple hundred off the price, more power to you!

Any details on the trailer? Steel or Alum? Saltshield? Brand?

A good new aluminum 8x10 tilt bed will run you over $1200. They are still a little pricy used as well.

I'm not a really big fan of the 8x8 trailers. The extra 2' on the back of an 8x10 is really nice and the incline of the trailer for loading is less as well.

oops, it is a xcr.

The trailer is aluminum 8x8. I can read PDT on the side of it but the other lettering is too small. No salt shield.I havent gone to look at it yet.

With that many miles on it you would think that if the bearings were bad they would have gone out by now?

Keep opinions coming I have at least until Sunday to talk to him again.

I replaced the crank bearings on mine at 1400 miles...and was told to expect it if ridden hard...The suspension was always falling apart as well...Very fast sleds, very unreliable...Needless to say, I switched over to Hanson's side... grin.gif

So its an XCR 600 triple.

I'm not a big fan of the 600 triple sleds. From a mechanical standpoint, there is a lot more that can go wrong with a 3 cylinder sled. XCR 600 has 3 carbs as well which means 3 carbs to keep clean, synched, and in tune. That sled doesn't have nearly the suspension of the newer sleds as well.

I guess if I was looking for a sled, I'd be looking for a little bit newer 500 or 600 liquid twin. Lets see, like maybe a 1998 ZR 500/600 Arctic Cat with batteryless EFI. Good suspension, good motor, EFI is awesome, and there should be quite a few of them out there with acceptable miles as well.

What do you plan on using the sled for?

Edit: I can't believe that we're looking at 2007 model sleds coming out now! Cripes, I remember the day when I picked up my 2002 ZR 600 from the dealership. I mentioned 98 ZR since that was one of the sleds I always wanted. Can't believe that sled is nearly 10 years old now. Firecats are on the verge of being "old technology" now too. Unreal!

Quote:

hanson,

aren't you suppose to be catfishing in a tourney tonight? Or should I say right now since its 1:30 am

Well... here's the story. A buddy of mine called me the other night. He's going through some relationship problems and wondered if we could go get some beer & wings last night. I don't mind helping out my friends so I said yeah, and would miss the little cat contest. About the time we were supposed to go, he called and cancelled. Oh well. There's my excuse. grin.gif

In 1996 polaris had a XCR600, which was a triple with a single pipe. There also was a machine that same year called an XCR 600 SP which had the "aggressive" design which was a triple with triple pipes. In 1997 they renamed the single pipe triple XC 600 instead of XCR 600, and renamed the tripled piped machine the XCR 600. And in 1998 the the XC 600 parted ways with single pipe triple and featured an American made twin(Liberty engine). Once again the triple piped machine for that year was called the XCR 600. Like someone said before on this post, the 1996 and actually 1995 XCR 600s were plagued by bad crankshafts. I would probably steer clear from that machine myself. If you are interested in that type of machine, go with a 1998 XC 600(twin). That motor is reliable and has much more torque and horsepower(about 115 compared 95-100) than its triple predecessor.

Probably a good move. I guess I am in the minority with this sled. Lots of horror stories out there.

I have a 95 XCR , and it has over 5 k on the clock. I rode the thing hard, but took care of maintenance when it needed it, and fogged it well and stored it inside. No crank troubles at all.

Good choice. Had a 1995 XCR 600. Crank blew apart at 90 mph. Had to buy a rebuilt crank and used case. The sled never ran right before or after the rebuild. I would go through the carbs twice a season and could never get it to run right, no matter what jets I used. Real pain with 3 carbs. I now have 1998 xc600 twin. Far superior machine. There will be far better deals out there, I picked up the xc for $1000 last fall.

Agreed - good choice. I've seen too many blown cranks on those PoPo triples to ever recommend 'em to anyone unless they're giving it away...even then, be leery! wink.gif

I think Hanson's recommendation of looking for a newer 500-600 twin is the way to go, but not sure I'd recommend liquid if this is going to be an ice-fishing rig only. All purpose trail/fishing sled, sure. Ice rig only, look for a fan cooled machine. Lots of decent sleds out there for cheap right now.

Good luck,

Blaze

Quote:

In 1996 polaris had a XCR600, which was a triple with a single pipe. There also was a machine that same year called an XCR 600 SP which had the "aggressive" design which was a triple with triple pipes. In 1997 they renamed the single pipe triple XC 600 instead of XCR 600, and renamed the tripled piped machine the XCR 600. And in 1998 the the XC 600 parted ways with single pipe triple and featured an American made twin(Liberty engine). Once again the triple piped machine for that year was called the XCR 600. Like someone said before on this post, the 1996 and actually 1995 XCR 600s were plagued by bad crankshafts. I would probably steer clear from that machine myself. If you are interested in that type of machine, go with a 1998 XC 600(twin). That motor is reliable and has much more torque and horsepower(about 115 compared 95-100) than its triple predecessor.

Thanks....I was getting ready to explain what you did....

Price sounded a little high "$500" for the year and model.

I would recommend any Polaris XC especially the American made Liberty twins.......

Go Polaris... grin.gif

When do we "snowmobile forum" get bumped back up to where we belong..... grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks....I was getting ready to explain what you did....

Price sounded a little high "$500" for the year and model.

I would recommend any Polaris XC especially the American made Liberty twins.......

Go Polaris... grin.gif

When do we "snowmobile forum" get bumped back up to where we belong..... grin.gif

The other difference was that the XCR 600 was a mono-block engine where as the XCR 600 SP was a three "jug" motor.

Quote:

[Admin Note] Please read forum policy before posting again. If you would like to sell an item here, please purchase an add. Thank you for your cooperation.

[PoorWordUsage]? I'm not selling anything. All I said is I know of one for sale. A guy on the forums asked to let him know if anyone knows of an 98' XC 600 for sale...which I do. Is that against forum policy?

Thanks guys.... confused.gif