• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's see your...HUNTING SHACK

Craig_S

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Looks like some new window and door work? What is the deal with all the hip roofs on these shacks? Must be the vintage. But I don't think I've ever seen a wider collection of hip roofs.

And it looks like you have electric? Why would you go home?

Craig

Just replaced some windows, yes.

This was a school house and I think they are pretty popular for shacks. That is why the roof.

I just installed electric a couple years ago, to include electric forced air heat. That was part of a major remodel project.

I don't want to come home but the wife says I have to work.

Let me see if I can get these to post.

Here are a few of the outside

sideshackaa4.jpg

shackrear1kk4.jpg

porchtb4.jpg

Here is the office

officeou6.jpg

The Deer Pole

deerpoleul4.jpg

Some interior pictures. The Kitchen Area

kitchenen0.jpg

Eating Area

eatingareaoz4.jpg

eatingarea1fh9.jpg

Loft Areas

westloftvo8.jpg

eastloftmh7.jpg

The Stove

stovekj5.jpg

Hopefully these will all post.

Nothing special but it works for us

Way to go Nitro! Can you get back in there and make those just a little bit bigger?

I see a loft over the porch area? If so, that's cool! My loft gets much too hot when it's sub zero outside - Maybe a loft over the great outdoors cools nicely?

A very nice shack. Last night I was missing my fireplace in my last house while reading a book. But thought that reading in front of the Shooterville woodstove would fit the bill nicely. Yours looks comfy too.

Opening day is just around the corner! Where's your hunting shack?

Craig

If I knew how to go back and make them bigger I would. Any idea how to do it?

Yep, loft over the porch. The 2 sides stay about the same temp. You really have to watch what your doing with the wood stove because she can get the upstairs hot and right now. It takes for ever to cool it down when it gets too hot. We have the porch ceiling/loft floor insulated pretty well.

Its pretty comfy and can get pretty packed too, we will have around 14 in it on opening weekend, but mid-week we are down to about 6. We sleep 6 in each loft and two on the couches that you can't see in any of the pictures. I put two pictures up of the side, meant to get one of the back up.

We are out of Orr, about 12 miles east.

Here is mine. When I first got this trailer I took one step inside and went through the floor and cracked my nads on a steel support beam, it was love at first site. I pulled the bathroom,painted it hunter green, build bunks, new 3/4 floor with authentic wood looking stick flooring grin.gif. Then I built a roof of the top so the trailer didnt have to bare all the of the snow load... All in all works out pretty nice, LP gas lights, stove... I had fun with this project but it is time to move on.

[image]IMG_0355.jpg[/image]

[image]IMG_0362.jpg[/image]

[image]IMG_0360.jpg[/image]

How about the 3 red cabins? grin.gif

We used to have quite a few nice racks in the cabin, but it got broke into and they took the nice ones. frown.gif Now we don't leave anything good around there.

Here's an inside picture (forgot to get an outside one).

cabininsideA.jpg

Here is a favorite sign from the inside:

cabinnotice.jpg

This is another good one for the outhouse:outhouse_what.jpg

Hey guys, brand spanking new here, just found this site today. This looks great, love the hunting shack thread.

A guy told me to check this out, wow was he right, this looks like a great site.

I'm building my hunting shack right now. We purchased land pretty much first of the year & began collecting ,materials & working on the property this spring. here, I'll see if I can post a few pics in progression. we're pretty excited to be out there for deer season this year.

Widetrack.... i'll have to send you a PM.. chances are we may know each other.

used to work for a company that built "wide tracks"

smile.gif

here we go...

building the insulated floor.

floorhalfdone.jpg

standing some walls.

100_0802.jpg

setting the first truss.

100_0828.jpg

setting the last truss

100_0835.jpg

Roof on, weather tight (kind of)

000_0014.jpg

sheeting the ceiling.

100_0913.jpg

And the most recent after building interior walls, wood stove installed... insulated & sheeted.

100_0990.jpg

100_0991.jpg

100_0992.jpg

100_0993.jpg

100_0994.jpg

We've bee staying out in our new shack on the weekends, lots of work left to do with trails, stands.. eventually a food plot or 2 I suppose.

I don't think it will ever end.... at least I hope not!! smile.gif

Dave

Quote:

Yes there are alternatives. Me personally, I'm not too thrilled about potential gas leaks. We have detectors. But electric would be a nice trick. We go on a fly-in every year and love the solar setups. RV water pump, electric lights, and usually propane fridge and water heater. It's sweet, but can't see the expense for the solar and wonder how it'd work in colder weather. I'd like to hear more ideas...

Craig S, first off great thread.

love all the shack pictures, great stuff everyone.

as for the solar, we have a pair of 12v batteries that are trickle tended by a solar panel & the whole works must have been put in at least 10 years ago, batteries too (original, not replaced yet)

We have the little panel inside the shack in a south facing window kind of mounted low so the panel doesn't distract the view.

Now I don't know if either of those 2 old batteries would crank over a car engine, but I know the light goes on when you flip the switch & we don't use the 12v light very often, we have gas lights in that shack. the bulb is pretty much for quick light only, we don't leave it on for too long. On ocasion one of the guys will plug a cell phone into the 12v to make a call or to charge a battery too.

I'll go with the same setup eventually in my new shack pictured above but for now it will have to be coleman lanterns cause this dude is broke.

Nitroant: "Nothing special but it works for us"

you gotta be kidding me, that place is frickin awesome!!!!!!

reminds me of our place south of Tower. We've got an outdoor wood fired sauna at that shack, very cool way to get clean every night before you zonk out.

Nitro that place is crazy awesome. I absolutely love it & hope that someday my new shack can have even a fraction of the character your place has. I love it.