• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's see your...HUNTING SHACK

Craig_S

Nice place NDave. What are the dimensions? I'm finishing up my new shack in Wisc. I dont know how to post pics here so if anyone can point me someplace to see how to do it...

Furnace went in earlier this week (Empire crossflow direct vent) along with the SAT. TV. grin.gif This project started out as a "shack" but has evolved into a cabin(without water for now). I can feel your pain about being broke. tongue.gif

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ours is a 24 wide across the front, 32 deep.

3 bunk rooms. well 2 bunk rooms, a boys bunk room that will sleep 6 & a girls bunk room that will sleep up to 4 & a ma & pa bedroom.

hey MN Mike, as far as posting pics it's not that tricky, you will have to go over to a site like photobucket & open an account then upload your pics from your home pc to your photobucket account, then link them from there to here by using the "image" button here were you post & paste in the direct link found under your pics on photobucket. (copy paste)

broke? oh hell i'm busted broke.. gonna be livin on saltine crackers & hot dogs for years!!! smile.gif

but if you never take the plunge, you'll never have it.

I'm here for a good time, not for a long time.

Dave

Great shack NorthernDave. we got one north of beltrami to the west and have had a great time with our shack. its came along way since it once sat out in the middle of a field as an abandoned grainery. if i knew how to post pics i would get them on here. our shack is 16 x 32 and is a blast. if anyone can post my pics quickly let me know. thanks smirk.gif

Thanks Dave-

We like it, its been good to us and we have had some great times up there. We built it in 1980. Just about everybody who hunts up there had some part of building it or donated something to it along the way to make it work out. My Dad has many more hours in it than I do, but I helped build a gun cabinet that hangs on the outside on the one side you can't see. I was pretty young when that was built but still recall helping Dad build it in the garage. Having the cabinet on the outside keeps all the guns outside of the shack and dry. We used to walk out into the woods everyday so it got more use back then, now with all the logging we are driving to more spots every year....and everybody is getting older. The shack was a big step up from the travel trailers they used to stay in back in the day. The place works great for snowmobiling out of too.

Quote:

Great shack NorthernDave. we got one north of beltrami to the west and have had a great time with our shack. its came along way since it once sat out in the middle of a field as an abandoned grainery. if i knew how to post pics i would get them on here. our shack is 16 x 32 and is a blast. if anyone can post my pics quickly let me know. thanks
smirk.gif

So Buschpilot sends me these great cabin pics, amazing transformation of an old grainery & here's the kicker, turns out we know each other, used to work at the same place... too dang funny.

well let see if I can post his pics.

Very nice work buschy!!

DC400155.jpg

DC400154.jpg

DC400153.jpg

DC400152.jpg

DC400151.jpg

DC400150.jpg

DC400149.jpg

Very very nice shacks guys. Keep 'em coming! I get some idea for improvement from just about every picture.

Dave, you've got it bad man. You're obsessed! My kid asked me a couple of weekends ago if I ever just went to the shack to have fun. He noticed I always have some project to complete. And I'm thinking he's right. Although this thread just makes me think of more projects.....

Craig

I'll say it's a big improvement from the old log cabin but I do miss that place. I built a lot of this with used materials. I got the siding free- was left over from commercial building. A lot of the 2x wood was taken from commercial trusses that were built wrong for another project. The contractor was going to cut it up and throw away as the truss company doesn't want them back. Another freebie.

Ditto on the comment of always a project to do. We are going to tear the two old cabins down next as wildlife is taking over both buildings. A hunting or fishing trip always has a construction elements to it.

Quote:

Very very nice shacks guys. Keep 'em coming! I get some idea for improvement from just about every picture.

Dave, you've got it bad man. You're obsessed! My kid asked me a couple of weekends ago if I ever just went to the shack to have fun. He noticed I always have some project to complete. And I'm thinking he's right. Although this thread just makes me think of more projects.....

Craig

yes, I've got it bad, and it's just getting worse with hunting season coming.

out there all weekend again, it was great.

Here is our deer camp up by Lake of the Woods. When you see the name of it you will see where I get my handle from.

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

Here is our sauna/shower house.

IMG_1257.jpg

There are five of us that own this together and I can't wait to get up there mid October and again when it counts.

yeah drift, there's a sad empty pole out there now about 25' long hangin between 2 big pines from rusty old log chains....

Water? we don't need no shtinking water!!

naw, really I couldn't afford the sand pont well components this year, the point itself, the pipe, the pitcher style hand pump... just gotta let it go for this year. same with the sauna, covered porch... it's gonna have to wait.

Heck I'm so broke I'll be doing good to buy my deer license now!! smile.gif

I've got the north gable end wide open that needs a few 2X4's to finish framing so I can sheet it up & I can't even buy the dang 2x4's!!

crazy.gif

It's all good though, I'll have it buttoned up before the deer opener so I don't get snow blowing in there.

for now, our water is hauled in there in them cube shaped 5 gallon water jugs. we're "roughin it"!!

grin.gif

Come on boys!! lets see some dern shacks!!

Well here is ours. This will be the first year we will be using it. Its my Grandpa's old farm house that has been abandoned for about 12 years. The last people who lived in it destroyed it. They shot holes in the floors walls windows, and just made a mess of everything. We got the main level cleaned out. Wired in some lights and recepticles since we don't trust the old wiring to run off the generator. We patched the roof an ceilings and put up some paneling to cover the cracked plaster. We closed off a couple of rooms that are beyond cheap repair. Got a wood burner in thier for heat. Got some free furniture from craigs lists. About the only thing we won't have is running water. This will be a bit of a change for us since we are used to staying at my Grandpas house in town. But since there is more of us this year and my Grandpa has been in and out of the hospital we figured this would be the way to go rather than using tents or finding old campers. It should be intersting. I wish I had some better pictures, especially of what it looked like before but this is it.

outside.jpg

This is how most of the plaster walls looked before.

insidebefore.jpg

insidebefore2.jpg

insideafter.jpg

Here is an air photo from 1991, a couple years before abandoned.

1991.jpg

And here is one from a couple years ago. I think its cool to see the difference.

2003.png