• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electric fillet knife

Lake Alice

Question

9 answers to this question

I do it the old fashioned way, too. I doubt I'll try electric either, cause I like to "feel" the fine point rubbing on the bones. I didn't like the electric knife I tryed once for carving turkey. Somethings can't be improved on. All the info on filleting fish I've seen say to cut through the ribs and also to separate the fillet from the bones. I always leave skin attached to the tail so I have something to hold on to while I separate the meat from the skin. Anyone else do that? The flexible fillet knife I use slides right over the ribs without cutting through them.

I'm a big fan of Leech Lake Knives. I don't keep hardly any fish, but they are works of art. If you have some extra $$ laying around, I would recommend them.

------------------
"Nothing says business in the front and party in back like a good mullet."

Those Leech lake knives are awesome but once you try an electric and give yourself the time to get used to it you probably will never go back! Plus, those Leech lk knives scare me with that 2 sided cutting surface, and I'm an ex-meat cutter.

Dave

------------------
Dodge, Lund, Yamaha, Fish trap, Strikemaster, Vexilar, Bud Light, did I forget anything?

I've been an electric knife user for the past 5 or 6 years. I'd challenge anyone to get more meat of a fish than I do with my eletric. Like others have said. It takes a little while to get the feel. But once you do you'll never look back. About the only thing I used the old fillet knife for anymore is taking the "Y" bone out of the very occasional pike I keep. I just don't clean enough of them to get a feel for them with the electric knife.

Borch

I was up at LOTW and forgot my fillet knife. well to make a long story short a guy in the cabin next to me offered to let me use his electric one .. I never used one before. This is no fish story... I cleaned 12 walleyes and 2 northerns in 15 minutes and cleaned the fish cleaning house !!! best fillets out of the 1000s I,ve done in my life..use it you will love it !!! I.ll never use a reguler one again.

Allright, I used it this weekend for crappies, gills and even a couple pike up at Bay Lake. What a great tool.

After I got the hang of it I cut the fillet off and left it attached, then scooped out the ribs, then took off the skin. The key on scooping out the ribs was to get a small entry cut, then push up against the ribs. They came right out and all the meat was left. It worked great on pike too--you could pull the fillet away and run it right along the y bones.

I highly reccommend this knife. The best part was looking at a pile of panfish (I had to do a fish fry for 24 people) and not being depressed about how long you would be sitting there cleaning. No effort, and you just fly through them.