• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Disposing of fiberglass boat

Lost

Question

After much thought and heartache and back-ache and finger-ache and headache, I've decided it's time to get rid of this boat. Especially since there's another one in much better shape just waiting for me.

So my question is:
Where can I dispose of this boat I no longer want? Is there a boat graveyard somewhere? A boat junkyard? Is there somebody that wants a real project to work on for weeks? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need to get rid of this thing, THIS WEEK preferably.

11 answers to this question

I don't know about your county, but here in Rice Cty local landfill takes boats with no problem, they just charge by weight, costs me approx $ 50 to $ 80 to "dispose" of them.

Once I brought a huge 28ft cabin cruiser, they had a blast smashing it with dozers.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

Bury it Half way in the ground then plant flowers in it. There is and old 57ish Chevy that is a buried flower garden up in Babbitt and it looks very nice. I do believe they even keep the exposed part of the car waxed and everything - I have pictures of it somewhere. Keep Smiling.

Here's a novel idea, Cut it up, send it to total strangers. When it's all mailed, tell the mailman what you did and he'll get a retroactive hernia! OR, How about sending it to the DNR over a years time, FREIGHT COLLECT. Only fair, you paid for the licences, now it's their turn. Another idea, Gosh I'm hot! Take off all I.D. and tie it up to a private dock at night, sleep in the car and watch the show in the morning! JUST A FEW STRAY THOUGHTS.

lololol I love the idea of removing all the ID and tying it to a strangers dock altho I wouldnt recommend it, like I wouldnt recommend it accidentally catching on fire and burning to the ground or accidentally sinking. I've got the room to do it here I'd cut it up piece by piece and sent it out in the weekly garbage..
Otherwise the landfill is your only reasonable option... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

I have also taken more than a couple to the dump in Savage behind Menards.
One I took there cost me nothing as the scale operator wanted it. grin.gif
I always filled them completely up with construction scrap and even then never paid more than 200 bucks.

If it floats why don't you offer it for free on the for sale site on this web site. Some person with not much money might want it. You know - one man's trash is another man's treasures.

------------------
Phyl

I disposed an 18 foot fibreglass boat at the dump in Savage (BFI?) about 3 years ago for around $80. (They charged by the pound.) It was kind of cool. I pulled up into the dump on my trailer, they pulled a dozer over ond held the nose while I pulled forward. Then he rolled it with the bucket several times to push it onto the pile and lifter the bucket ond drove the dozer up onto it until it smashed.

fishinphyl, I got it for free a couple years ago. It was never fixed up enough to see if it floats. And someone with not much money wouldn't have the money to get it fixed up with it needing everything from a new transom and floor, to an outboard, all instruments, lights, etc.

Well, it's not my worry now. I took it to Shamrock in Blaine. They picked it up off my trailer with the big machines and charged me 52 cents more than their minimum charge of $50.00 for hauling stuff in.

Got kids??? Flood the boat and make it into a pool. I saw one person do that with a old fiberglass boat. He also put a little slide in it too. Looked pretty good actally. Just a thought. grin.gif

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!