• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which does more damage???

kc0myy

I am not bashing the sled runners. I live in a trailer park. All the sled runners can drive there sleds out in the field in front of the park. I was taking my 7 year old brother and his friend out for a ride. I was towing them in a sled behind my ATV. The care taker was snowblowing. He stoped and yelled at me because I was driving my atv in the field. I was showing repect to the care taker. I said why can the sled runners drive there sleds in the field and I can't on my ATV. He said that the sled dont damage the grass like the ATV does. I said fine whatever. I was not going to make a seen in front of my brother and his friend. My tires were not even touching the grass there was about 6" of snow. I was by the road and what did I see I saw grass torn up from a sled runner. Thats my storie! Which does for damage the ATV or sled runners? PLEASE I am not trying to bash the sled runners. I like snowmobiling. I don't have a sled but I do like sledin. mad.gif

I thought the same thing as I left work Friday. Sled tracks all over the place and right next to the building. When there is little snow the sleds can tear things up. I don't know why but it seems that sleds can go and do things four wheelers would not be allowed to do.

either machine will do their share of damage when ridden irresponsibly.

Snowmobiles will have more flotation and traction in snow due to the larger contact area with the surface beneath them. ATV's on the other hand will have more of a tendency to sink in the snow and spin.

As far as going across a field, I would hope that you know the owner and have gotten permission to be there. This doesn't matter if you're on an ATV or snowmobile, trepass laws are the same no matter what you're riding/driving.

Just because there is a set of tracks going across the field doesn't mean it is legal to ride there. It could be the land owner, someone who had permission to be there, or someone breaking the law by trespassing. There are thousands of miles of grant-in-aid trails for snowmobiles in MN, not including ditches. There is no reason to bust loose on a farmers field that he might have a crop in such as alfalfa or winter wheat.

Do keep in mind that it is also illegal to tow a sled, containing a passenger, with just a rope. State law says any sled containing passengers must have a solid straight arm bar hitch and have 16 square inches of reflective material on each side and to the rear of the sled.

You can find a list of regualtions in the DNr site at www.dnr.state.mn.us

Quote:

either machine will do their share of damage when ridden irresponsibly.

I agree!

I'm a sledder. The majority of damage I see caused by snowmobiles is just a little grass getting ripped up on road approaches where the snow tends to be thinner and where there is stopping and starting of the machine.

On the other hand, I can take you anywhere in the state and show you 4 wheeler trails in the ditches that are very rutted up. During the spring, these same ditches become mud bogs for overzealous quad riders.

My opinion is that a quad causes more damage and that damage is done when there is no snow on the ground.

Tread Lightly!!

PLEASE remember I am not trying to bash sled runners. All the other residents of the park who have sleds and ride there sled w/o asking for permission. Even if I am not towing my brother (which I should not because its not the safest thing to do w/rope) I should be able to ride my atv in that field. I am driving my ATV responsible. I am not driving very fast or spining the tires or anything stupid like that. thanks later

Quote:

I should be able to ride my atv in that field.

No you should not be able to ride in this field. At least not without permission. Because other people are doing it, doesn't make it right for you to help yourself.

How old are you kc? I am guessing when I say 16 or younger. My apologies if I'm wrong. But you might want to look into getting your ATV safety certificate if you haven't already. After January 1st there is a new law that goes into effect which states: Anyone born after July 1, 1987 and are 16 or older, will need to take the homestudy CD-ROM test in order to legally ride on public lands and frozen waters.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to provide an answer.

ATV's do more damage, that's not saying sleds do NOT make damage, I just believe ATV's do more.

As far as trails and such, I only hope MN will provide more ATV trails, especially near the cities, that are groomed, and maintained as they do for snowmobiles. I think Wisconsin is far more 'atv friendly' than minnesota. But, hopefully that will change.

I am 35 years old. No just kidding. I am 17 years old with a driver lic. Do I still need to take the ATV cousre?? I was talking to some other residents of the trail park and they said that they didnt need to ask if they could ride in the field. I am just saying if the sled runners can w/o asking permission and they can ride in the field why can't I. I think that old man for a care taker does not like ATVs for some reason.

If the sled runners are driving in the field without asking, it is TRESPASSING, POINT BLANK!, Just because they are trespassing and have not been turned it yet does not mean that they could not turn you in first. It shouldnt matter if THEY didnt ask. If you want to be able to ride on somebody elses land YOU MUST ASK FIRST or you are trespassing plain and simple.If a judge asks you why you were trespassing and you tell them that all the sled owners did it first so why cant I? I bet the judge would laugh at you and make you pay the fines. Im not trying to be be mean, just telling you the truth.

there is no machine that will do more damage than that being operated by an irresponsible driver. In other words, if both machines are parked, they're not hurting anything. Add the rider component, then things change. The rider ultimately is the one causing the damage.

Much like Larry the cable guy blaming his pencil for poor spelling. Or saying guns kill people. You can't blame the machine for damage done. Blame the operator.

As far as snowmobilers being able to ride a field, this would only be true if they owned it or had permission to be there in the first place. Because it's white, doesn't mean it fair game. They would still be trespassing.

As far as the safety training, yes, you will need to take the CD portion of the course in order to be legal ( this goes into effect after January 1, 2006). It would only take about an hour and a half of your time and mail it in.

kc0myy, I'd imagine the caretaker is concerned about wheelers tearing up that field during warmer months and that no wheeler policy is enforced year round just because is easier for him that way. Could also be that be that he doesn't want any wheelers or sleds on that field, period. A trailer park is crowded enough with peace and quite hard to come by. So your use may seem harmless to you but it could very well be a disturbing to the other folks living there.

If thats not the case then knock on his door when the frost is deep and theres plenty of snow cover and ask for permission.

I talked with my dad and he talked to the office. he said no body is allowed to ride in the field. The people with ride in the field don't live in the park and who are trespassing. As far as the people who live in the park they are not obying the laws. I apologize for this post I was wrong. I thought sled runners could ride in the field. but they can't. I am sorry I was worng. Thank you about the info about the crouse I have to take I did not know that. I will take that cousre. I am sorry again.

KC,

no apologies are necessary. I do the MN DNR ATV Safety training and just wanted to make sure you had the right information. One thing is for certain, you can never believe people when they tell you the rules. Everyone makes mistakes, even our Conservation Officers. The best place to get your answers is the regulations in the MN DNR HSOforum. It's really easy to navigate through.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

I wish everyone would understand about tresspassing laws as it seems most do here. We then wouldnt lose so many miles of trails and privlages every year because of a few rotten eggs making all snowmobilers and atvers look bad. I just had a similar conversation with a co-worker who is in his 50's and should know better. He stated that he doesnt like to trail ride but gives his grandkids rides in the field behind his house. I said "well you must know the owner of the field or somehow have permission" and he said "No, but everyone else rides in it" I went off on him.