• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

POLARIS HELP!!

Scotteye

My 2003 Polaris is having a very hard time starting in the cold. When I say "hard time", I mean it sometimes doesn't even start in my garage. Does any one have any suggestions on what to do. I am going to Lake of the Woods December 14th, and I would hate to have this problem up there. I am not very handy, but it is almost like it is not getting any gas. Once I get it started, it bogs down for several minutes.

Thanks for any help!!

It would help to add which model it is? I know my 2002 700 Twin is ready for a battery before it goes up North. Leaving the lights on once in the cold can kill your battery.

I've had the 700 in the shop four times since new for a total of 2 months. Twice it wouldn't start. Lucky for me I bought the 5 year full warranty!!!

It is a 2003 Sportsman 700 (Carb). I don't think it's the battery because it is turning over fine, but what do I know!

I can litterally turn it over for minutes at a time, and it still won't start. I tried full, half, & no choke, but it does not matter.

Thanks Again!

Thanks again everyone for any help....The ATV currently has just under 240 miles (I purchased it used and have only put 20 miles on it). The guy I purchased it from had receipts that he just had the oil changed and a new "belt" (I am not sure what belt...if there is more than one belt). Anyway, this evening my neighbor got it started, but it took over an hour to get it going. He said the spark plug was very old, but still had a spark. According to him, the plug was ok. Again, I am not very handy in this subject, but I did still notice that it doesn't fire very often. I know when I go out to start it tomorrow morning, I am going to have the same problem. I have never used seafoam or any other fuel additive. A friend of a friend said to have the card. cleaned, but I am having a hard time finding someone to do this short notice. Any additional thoughts?

No offense to your helpful neighbor but I would say your spark plug is 2 years old if your machine is a 2003 and it has under 250 miles, original plug most likely. Possibly from the rough running as of late the plug has fouled to some degree and needs to be cleaned. Plugs are cheap.

More likely it is a fuel problem although I would not rule out an electrical issue.

Drain the fuel from the tank. Put this fuel into your personal vehicle if you have no other means of disposing it.

Add about a half gallon of non-oxygenated fuel mixed with about 6 caps full of seafoam to your polaris tank.

The cap on the seafoam can is your measuring cap.

Now try to crank it over and get it running. If you get it running and it cotinues to run keep it going by feathering the throttle or working the choke. You mentioned that you are not very handy and this is an easy way to help loosen up the carb without taking anything apart. If you are successful at getting it to run for some time choke it off periodicly to help pull debrie through the system. Let it sit over night and try it again the next day.

Good Luck...

If the fuel isn't good enough for your wheeler then it probably isn't good enough for your auto. Why contaminate your auto's gas tank? If you are draining the tank on your wheeler, find a place to dispose the old stuff properly.

I drive for a towing company from time-to-time and have actually had to tow vehicles that got the "old gas from the shed" dumped in their tanks. I'm not saying that you would break down if you do it, but why take the chance?

yeah but if you mix that old gas with a full tank of gas on a big truck with a big tank I wouldnt worry about it. Any way. Yeah sounds like you have a carb problem to me also.

Do everything scupper said except for the fuel in your vehicle maybe. But also get a spark plug in that beast too.Never hurts to have a fresh plug every year for 2.50. Your plug should be a NGK BKR7E. You might also want to put an inline fuel filter on that machine. It never hurts.You can get a real good one for about 12 bucks and a cheap one for about 3. Also when you park your machine turn your gas off everytime. The carbs seem to last longer that way and tend not to gum up as much. Thats my 2 cents

Welcome to the world of the polaris twins. VERY COLD BLOODED animals. I have a 03 700 myself. Mine was cold blooded to start with, now after all my mods it is even more so.

1) No oxy gas, it is THE DEVIL. Get rid of the oxy stuff you have in there. Anything that can grow alge in it I has to be THE DEVIL. I use non-ox and add a git of stabil to it.

2) Your engine isn't even broken in as of yet, after about 500 miles its considered broken in, should get easier to start then. Pluss it will be easier on gas.

3) Replace the plugs, I like NGK's. Have fun with the plug on the L side.

4) Choke it, pump the gass a bit, once it fires feather the throttle. It is an art.

5) I would get the batery checked, mine died last year and it would realy suck to be left high and dry out on a lake with a dead batery.. BEEN THERE DONE THAT GOT THE TEE SHIRT. Did I mention my batery died last year. BTW you can get small jumper cables for about $12 from Northern tool and the like, they fit real nice in the "glove box". Boy was it cold when my batery died.

6) for more help try these sights

http://www.highlifter.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

http://www.atvnation.com/forum/

or drop me a E-mail.

This might be a very dumb question, but where do I get non-oxy gas? Is this like the premium gas? Thanks again all!

Also, are there "2" spark plugs in my Polaris? Someone (a co-worker) told me there is only one, but with it being a twin, I thought there would be two??

Polaris had a carb undate on that year of 700.... can't beleive no one else has posted this information, I had the same problem, I was notified by my dealer and he took care of it. Thanks Terry!!

On my 02 700 I did have a no start issue a couple years ago. I'm not sure what it is called but the Polaris shop replaced a torn rubber boot near the carb. The atv would turn over but wouldn't fire.

Did I mention the machine has run on one cylinder twice now??? Complete engine tear down the second time, gotta love that full 5 year warranty grin.gif

They have the carb-update that is a different pilot jet I believe ( I have a 40mm carb of a 500HO in mine so I'm not up to speed on that update). Pluss a cold weather mod/update - I do have this one. Its a insilated reflective tinfoil type material that slides over the breather hose that goes from your air box to your valve cover.

Yes non-oxegenated gas would be the Super, just make sure it has the with sticker on the pump that says its for collector cars and off road vehicles. If the tag isn't on the pump it is oxegenated.

Your torn rubber boot was the intake boot. The 02's had that problem because the carb wasnt "bolted down" they would vibrate and then crack. QWuick check for thast is while trying to start it or even while its running, spray the boot down with starting fluid. If your machine starts up or reves up, then the boot is shot or you have a leak at the carb or at the head.

Hey firemedic I'm from cloquet too. What kind of mods do you have done to your sportsman? I have an '05 sp 700 with a few extras[winch and big tires] on it. I guess I don't have any input to the post except that it's no fun pull starting big atv's in the winter. My old '02 500 had a bad battery all last winter and I had to use the recoil the whole time. I hope I never have to pull start this 700.

It wouldn't start again today, so I put new plugs in and it started right up. Due to only owning it for a short period of time (and it's my 1st ATV), I didn't know how it was suppose to run, but after the new plugs, it runs a whole lot better. The true test is going to be tonight. I am leaving it out of the heated garage. Lake of the Woods Test!! I appreciate all of the suggestions. I was going to just bring it in somewhere. If any of you are going to be up at Lake of the Woods Dec. 14th-18th, stop by the sportsmans bar and I a few are on me!

THANKS!

I hope you won't have to pull start that 700 either,because there is no recoil backup for polaris 600,700 or 800's.Another thing to Scotteye,make sure you have a winter weight oil in to like Amsoil 0-40 synthetic.

I don't know that a synthetic oil would be a good choice right now, as he stated he only has 250 miles on it, I can't say for sure but I don't think that power plant is broken in yet, I would use a high quality conventional oil for a couple of more tanks of gas. you can get the 0wt-30 or even a 0wt-20 for that matter then switch to syn oil. hope this helps.

Quote:

I hope you won't have to pull start that 700 either,because there is no recoil backup for polaris 600,700 or 800's.Another thing to Scotteye,make sure you have a winter weight oil in to like Amsoil 0-40 synthetic.

Really? I guess I never even checked to see if there is a recoil. How do you start it if the battery is dead? Mine started the other day at 10 degrees with a quick turn of the key and some choke. I think I might put my battery monitor charger thing on it since I don't ride it that often.

The biggest down side when purchasing the 02 700 back in 01 was the fact it had no pull start option. I could have used the option twice to get the atv on the trailer to go to the dealership for repairs.

I have a 04 700 carb . Same issues you have. I brought it back to my dealer and he did a carb mod: Jets, spings ect. It was a Polaris authorized mod done at that time under warranty. Check with a dealer near you. By the way, it runs like a totally different machine now.