• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's everyone shooting

Waska:

Canon 20D 8.2 megapixel DSLR (razor sharp prints to 2' by 3' and beyond)

Canon Digital Rebel (300D) for backup body

Canon BG-E2 supplemental battery/vertical shooting grip for 20D

Canon 100-400L f-4.5-5.6 image stabilizer (go-to wildlife lens)

Canon 17-40L f4

A number of other "consumer grade" wider-angle lenses of lesser quality

Hoya 77 mm UV and circular polarizer filters for 100-400 mm and 17-40.

Canon EX380 flash

Lexar's top 2 Gb and 1 Gb compact flash memory cards

Tiffen UV and circular polarizer for consumer lenses

Bogen-Manfrotto ballhead tripod

Slik ultralight monopod

Photoshop CS processing software

Epson R300 printer

Macintosh G4 with flat-screen 17-inch monitor

Noise Ninja for noise reduction

1. Pentax ist*DS

2. Sigma 70-300 f4.0 - f5.6

3. Pentax 18-45

4. Assorted older Pentax glass non AF and doubler

5. Lexar 512 SD and backup 256

6. 3 sets AA batteries 1800mah to 2500mah with Maha C-204W charger.

7. UV filters for all lenses

8. Polarizers for all lenses

9. Pentax software for RAW, Picasa2, InfraView, Autostitch (last 3 free, first came with camera $0 dollars in software, will be adding Photoshop SE in future).

10. 17" LCD with computer running Windows XP.

Future add-ons;

1. One or two good prime lenses

2. Monopod to add to 2 tripods (sports shots and wildlife)

3. 1gb Fast write SD memory card

4. Second body, newer for primary and current for second lense and backup.

The lists are endless but too many hobbies limits what one can spend on each of them.

1. Nikon D70

2. 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor

3. 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor

4. TC-14E II (1.4x) AF-S, AF-I Teleconverter

5. Nikon Capture for initial editing

6. Photoshop 6.0 detail editing

7. Neat Image for noise reduction

8. Sony Vaio laptop with 19" FP and 21" CRT monitors

9. Various filters (seldom use)

10. Canon A85 point and shoot camera when traveling light

Wish list.....

105mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor macro lens

TC-20E II (2x) AF-S, AF-I Teleconverter

This thread started on the bird watching board and I moved it here because of a wider audience of photo shooters.

And don't be shy if you don't have so-called "professional" equipment. Lot of nice work being shown here by all-in-one digital folks.

Have at it! cool.gif

1. Fuji s5000(10x optical zoom) 3.2 megs(6 in RAW mode) (2)-128 meg XD cards

2. Olympus "T-Con 17 (1.7) teleconverter

3. Tiffen Polarizers

4. Various Hoya and Kenko filters and adapters

5. Kenko dioptors.1,2,and 4 (for macros)

6. Pelican waterproof camera case

7. various tripods..Sunpak and others(don't use em much)

8. Cannon S820D 6 tank photo printer(2 years old but makes great prints)......also fill my own ink tanks..I only make 8.5"x11" prints

9. Adobe Photoshop Elements ver.7 (Picasa and other programs)

10.Sony trinitron 21" monitor

I've been looking at upgrading here this upcoming summer.....not sure yet what I'll be purchasing..maybe another Fuji......jonny grin.gif

Finally, a minute to breathe...There's a lot of new posts that I need to respond to, but I guess this one will be first.

Film:

Nikon F5

Nikon SB-28 flash

Fuji film--Velvia, Velvia 100, Provia, and Provia F, occasionally I will shoot Kodak film, but it is for the most part a backup for me, as I much prefer the coolness and grain/sharpness of Fuji.

Lenses are all interchangeable

Digital:

Nikon D70 (Second one)

Nikkor 18-70mm AFS zoom lens

Nikkor 28mm F2.8 lens

Nikkor 60mm Micro F2.8 lens

Sigma 170-500mm F5.6-6.3 zoom lens

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 zoom lens

Sigma 1.4x teleconverter

1- 1 Gig Lexar 80X FlashCard

1- 512 meg Lexar 80X FlashCard

various filters from Tiffen, Hoya, and B+H circular polarizers and warming filters, also a Moose Peterson 81a warming circular polarizer. With the exception of the Moose Filter, most of these haven't been used in years.

Bogen Tripod (I believe a 3036, but I don't remember)

Bogen heavy duty Monopod

Bogen three way tilt pan head

Bogen pistol grip ballhead

Bogen Ball head

Sekonic light meter

Pelican Hard Case (bullet proof)(highly recommended)

Tamrac photo Backpack (don't remember that number either--it's a big one though--carries either camera plus everything else.)

Hardware:

Sony Vaio 2.8 gig 17inch laptop -w- 40 gig hard drive

Custom 2.8 gig Desktop -w- 40 gig hard drive

21 inch CRT

Seagate external 120 gig hard drive (all three pretty much full--hoping for a new 300 gig for Christmas)

Canon I960 6 color printer

Nikon CoolscanV ED film scanner

2 (don't remember brand) light boxes for slides

Kodak slide projector

Software:

Windows XP on both systems

Adobe photoshop 6.0

Adobe photoshop 7.0

JASC Paint Shop Pro 8

Nikon View

Coming Soon:

Nikon Capture

Nikon D200 digital camera

Nikon 70-200 2.8 AFS VR lens

Nikon 300mm F4 lens

Nikon TC14eII and TC17eII

Coming when I hit the lottery:

Nikkor 200-400 F4 AFS VR zoom lens

Nikkor 600mm F4 AFS II

Nikon D2X (and since I'm daydreaming--make that 2 of them)

Tom Wilson

I use probably the most unprofessional equipment than anyone. I shoot with a Sony Mavica FD95 which has a 10X optical zoom and image stabilizer. It also has quite a range of F stop and shutter speed settings. I have also added a wide angle converter, 2X telephoto converter and a dedicated flash. I also have on hand, but haven't used since my 35mm days, is a Bogen tripod and monopod. The Sony only shoots at 2.1 megapixel but if I don't have to do any cropping it makes great 8 X 10's. I use Photoshop Elements, if anything, on a Windows XP PC. If I get back into photography seriously again I will definitely be looking at a Nikon DSLR. I have also used Nikon 35mm cameras in the past and was always happy with them.

X-tackleman... I think that I have you beat. I have a Kodak Easy Share DX4350 5.0 Mega Pixels. It's mostly for family outings and stuff like that. I was out with Buzz, Hobby, and Tom one Saturday and I am here to tell ya... there was a lot of camera envy going on that morning. I have a Cannon AE1 for 35MM. I bought it when I was stationed in Italy because I was going to get into photography! Yeah right, I do not remember the last time that I had it out of the camer bag! Have a cheapie zoom lense, a power winder and an awesome flash for it though! I would like to get into digital photography now though cuz once you buy the camera there is not much more expense for the developing and stuff. Time will tell, I thought that maybe this week I would be able to do that but them other 8 meat packers took my money wink.gif Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I've got a canon 20d which I love but I'm still learning. A friend who has a $150 kodak c340 takes really fine pics. He is much more artistic than I and I think that goes a long way in taking nice pictures. He's used my 20d and takes much better pictures with it than I do. I think how you see and set up your scene has a lot more to do with taking quality pics than I care to admit.

Jimbo: Get in there man! You'll love it. Digital means it just got a lot easier to shoot like crazy without the expense of all that film and developing (well, once you actually plop down the bucks for the camera and stuff).

Island guy: You've got a great camera. I was going to say you've got a great body, but someone would CERTAINLY have taken that the wrong way. Just keep shooting, shooting, shooting. You've had some fun with it and you'll have a lot more, and if you get used to it and shoot a lot you'll be amazed at how fast you see improvement in your work. And look at lots of other people's work, too. You can learn a lot from the way other photographers see the world.

I have a couple of questions for you pro guys or at least pro to me. I currently have a Konica G600. It is not a very good camera, for me at least, I get a lot of blurry pictures and my timing is not the best for the delay that it has. I am looking for something that I can push the button and it will take a good picture. I know that I have a lot to learn about taking good picture, but I want to buy something that will be a good camera when I finally do learn to. Also do digital cameras take pictures quicker than the delay that I have now which is about 2-3 seconds. Obviously I am really wet behing the ears when it comes to this, but I am just sick of taking 5 or 6 pictures to get one that looks good.

fishinphilth

I'm sure you will eventually get some good advice from Catfish and Tom Wilson or Buzz, but the 1 thing you mentioned is the majot drawback with digital cameras - the lag time. This I believe is common unless you opt for the much more advanced digital SLR or more commonly called DSLR. I've read specs and seen that they are capable of 2 1/2 shots or more per second. The lucky people with these cameras are able to fire 7 shots to our one. In nature and wildlife photography this can mean missing the shot completely or geting a couple great shots.

Once you get what you want, shoot a lot and shoot often. The more you shoot the more proficient you should get, especially if you can critique your own work.

fishin'

I am going to assume (which I shouldn't do) that your current konica has a zoom feature and this is where this could get tough.

In retail consumer grade point and shoot cameras, the term 2x, or 4x, or even 10x zoom is often used. This is one of those things that manufacturer's use without fully explaining it, but here it is in regular camera speak--each x of zoom = 50 millimeters in standard SLR film equipment. On the market now, are lenses with (for Nikon) a DX label--these lenses have a wider field of view than the same designation in film lenses and are made to compensate for the multiplication factor of the digital sensors. a 10x zoom = 500mm in a standard lens, that same 500mm standard lens, would be the equivalent of a 750mm lens on a digital camera because of the sensor magnification factor. All of that being said, you would need to look at how much zoom you have and how much you would want in a new camera.

Mike, I'm sure will chime in here, or Steve (even though he is on the other side) wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif but both Canon and Nikon make entry level DSLR's that are affordable to the average consumer. If your current camera has a 4x zoom, then you would need the equivalent of a 200mm lens (or zoom) to equal what you have now.

Next is Megapixels--how much do you neeed. I give you my word that either of the above mentioned systems will give you awesome photos once the basic skills of exposure are learned.

Next is speed--without getting up to the $1,000.00 range, no point and shoot digital will even come close to a DSLR in shutter lag time. From what I understand the Nikon coolpix series are very , very good options, for the person who just wants a point and shoot, and then you pay for the amount of zoom respectively.

My real and honest opinion on what you should do--go to a camera store like National camera exchange--learn everything you can from the guy or gal behind the counter, write down those models that you like in the store, then go home and spend some time on the internet learning about those models. Once you do this you will become an informed consumer, and won't get snowballed into buying something you don't really want. My last advice is this--if you know that photography is something you are interested in and you are willing to spend more than $500.00 (and to get that speed, you will be) then don't even look at the point and shoots--you need to look at the DSLR packages that are out there, and pick the best one you can afford. You might also consider looking for a good used system

Tom W

fishin':

Tom and I rib each other good-naturedly about the Nikon-Canon rivalry, but he is right on the money here.

If you want a digital camera without the lag time, go to a DSLR. No one I know can make a P&S focus fast enough to catch action. By the time it's in focus, the action has move don.

There are other good DSLRs besides Canon and Nikon, but they are the top two. You'll get either the entry level DSLR Canon (8 megapixel Rebel XT) or Nikon (6 megapixel D50 or D70) for less than $1,000, and that price will include one or two so-called "kit" lenses. One will be a wider angle zoom, one a more powerful telephoto zoom.

Like Tom said, hit a camera store and see which feels best in your hands. Don't worry about whether you ultimately pick Nikon or Canon, and don't listen much to the clerk. He or she may be pushing one over the other because simply because they're overstocked. The models mentioned above are so close together in capability, with only minor differences, that you won't go wrong with either one. And don't worry about the difference in megapixels between 6 Mp and 8 Mp. Unless you're making very large fine art prints, it won't matter to you. The one that feels best to your hand and has controls that make the most sense to YOU is what you should go with.

Good luck, and have fun.

Tom,

I have to disagree with you on one point. A 10X optical zoom on a P & S digital camera figures out to only around 380mm. Just like most P & S 35mm cameras, normal is actually only around 38mm. So a 5X zoom is only about 190mm and when compared to a SLR 35mm, this amounts to less than a 200mm lens and evidentally less than a 135mm lens on a DSLR. I Have a 10X optical zoom on my digital but is evidentally much less than a 300mm lens on your camera. The zoom factor on a digital SLR was all news to me and I appreciate the info.

Another thing to keep in mind is the so-called "crop factor" for the digital SLRs such as the Canon Rebel XT and 20D and Nikon D50 and D70. Simply put, the sensors on these cameras are built to such dimensions that they offer more apparent magnification than 35mm film cameras and the full-frame very expensive DSLRs.

For the Canon models mentioned, you multiply the mm rating of your lens by 1.6 to get a more true perspective of magnification power. If I remember correctly, the Nikon models mentioned have a 1.5 conversion factor.

So you multiply your lens mm by 1.6 or 1.5. At the Canon factor, a 300 mm becomes a 480mm, a 100 becomes a 160, et cetera. Good for telephoto shooters, but it also cuts off wide angle lenses. Your 20mm lens, a great wide angle, becomes a 32mm, your 50 becomes an 80, etc.

Good things to keep in mind.

As usual Tom and Steve nailed it!

Since the name of the thread is "What everyone is shooting" I have:

Nikon D50 DSLR camera

80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Nikon AF Nikkor 70-210mm f/4-5.6D Lens

Nikon AF Nikkor 18-55mm "kit lens" AF ED lens

Tamron SP AF pro series 1.4x Teleconverter

Pelican case 1600 series

2 GB memory

Windows XP ~ 17 hi res flat screen monitor

Nikon Capture software

Photoshop Elements 4.0 software

Thanks for all the good info. I have planned on spending around $500-$800. But before I spent that money I wanted info and appreciate the info you have provided. I have 2 kids that I adore but everytime I took a picture of them doing something it was always blurry, I also duck hunt and people ask why I would get up so early and sit in a cold swamp. I tried to take some pictures but never got one that would show them why. I dont know how much I would get into photography but would like something that would do if I did get into it a little. I am off to national camera. There is one close to where I am. Again thanks, for the info.

I'll chime in.

I shoot a Nikon D70

Kit Lens 18-70

Nikon 70-300 G

Polarizer (love it)

SB-800 Flash

I'm shooting sports and a few weddings. I'm working PT for a photographer who has a business on the side. I'm saving up for the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR.

Check out my images and the guy I work for.

(Note: You need to get commercial links approved by admin. You can use the "contact us" button to do that.)

I shoot a Canon Digital Rebel with the Canon 18-55mm lens, a Quantaray 28-80mm lens, and a Quantaray 70-300mm lens. I have an assortment of filters including: Polarizing, neutral density, and split nuetral density. Bogen tripod and pan head. I also have a Canon A410 that I carry with when fishing.

When I first purchased the Digital Rebel, I was very impressed with it. Now that I have more knowledge and experience, I get frustrated by its shortcomings. I am sure that having better lenses would help a lot as well. I look forward to upgrading down the road.

Of course bodies, lenses, and filters can only go so far. The wonderful thing about photography is that you can never learn too much. With digital photograpy, you can never take too many pictures. I have learned more since switching from a 35mm slr to the digital slr. I take more pictures, have instant feedback and experiment more. Unless money is not an issue, you just don't do that with film.

And speaking of learning, I'd like to thank all the contributors on this forum for taking the time to share your photos and knowledge. It is greatly appreciated and helpful. I hope to be able to meet some of you someday.