• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying a new ATV, need help

Kidd

I will be purchasing a new/new used ATV very shortly and I would appreciate any time you could spend answering a few questions.

Its primary use will be for ice fishing however it will see some off road use but not very much. A 400cc engine should perform any task I ask of it, however, if you think this is too much or too little please advise.

I know Honda makes a nice ATV and I am leaning towards the Foreman with Auto transmission. My questions pertain more to Artic Cat and Yamaha.

First things first. How important is the automatic transmission? Is it worth the extra bucks?

I like the clearance of the Artic Cat but what's it's dependability in extreme cold conditions? The Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Automatic VP seems priced right and I am giving it a serious look. Is this a good choice?

Yamaha has a 400 Big Bear and a 400 Kodiak. Which of these two would you recommend for ice fishing? And also what's it's dependability in cold weather?

Am I not looking at something I should be looking at? Suzuki, Polaris, Bombadier?

One last thing, other than Tousley (already been there), where’s a dealer with plenty of invoice to look at?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Kidd

I know you did not mention the Yamaha Kodiak 450 or the Bombardier 400 HO,but these 2 wheelers are at the top of there class,with the Suzuki Eiger 400 right close behind them.The Yami and the Bomb offer a little more power,and a better ride,along with a locking front differential.The Kodiak 400 does not have a low range,which is really handy for doing any type of work with,especially with a belt drive tranny.The Bomb comes with a 3 yr warranty where the Yami has a 6 month.I hope I was accurate with my info and help you in your decision.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 400 auto which is the next step up from the VP. I really like the automatic trans, but I have never owned a manual. The AC has a wet clutch that runs in oil and is cooled by the oil cooler. The drive belt is always tight. AC also has a primer on the carburator to help with cold weather starting. I looked at em all and this is what I bought. It has plenty of power for what you want to use it for. One of the reasons I went one step above the VP was to get the locking front differential which is very important. Otherwise one of the front wheels won't be helping. Some poeple call a non locking front end 3 1/2 wheel drive. Buy whatever suits your needs. I think anything bigger than a 400 for what you and I will use it for would be over kill. Another thing that sold me on AC was the fact that where I live you seldom find a used Artic Cat at any dealership other than a cat dealer. Many if not most cat owners buy another cat when they trade. Just my 2 cents, but there are a lot of other opinions. The 05 ACs have a 2 year warranty and the 06s have a three.

The dealers you visit should let you test drive the different machines. Ride the models you like and then try the bombardier outlander 400. That's what I did when I bought mine in 03 and I love my machine.

I have 2 Suzuki Eigers. I own an '03 and an '04, both autos. I would not trade them for anything. The '03 has 2700 miles on it. Lot of power and it has a low range. No major problems with either. Only 1 time I could not get it started was a trip to LOTW. 6:00am temp one morning was -22F. I would take a serious look at these machines. I purchased my '04 at Larson's in Cambridge. Out the door total bill was just under $5000. I did buy it in Aug of '04, just when the '05 was hitting showrooms. The only thing I wish the Eiger had is front differential lock. Rear axel is a shaft so you always have the posi going and it won't squat all the way down to the ice when you want to pull your trailor out behind you.

Never guess how I got my login name.

Thanks fellas for taking the time to help me out, I do appreciate it.

Talked to a friend that bought the 450 Yamaha and he explained some of what you guy's are talking about. Just one more machine I have to think about. confused.gif

Thanks again.

Kidd

I have a 04 kodiak 450 and it starts everytime INSTANTLY and never lets me down, gobs of power in a smaller package, locking diff, disc brakes, liquid cooled, what more could you ask for besides fuel injection....that is the only thing i would want.

I purchased a bomber outlander last fall and really like this machine.I used it mainly for ice fishing and work around the house.When i was in the market to purchase i went on every web site i could find to see what potential problems could come up by looking though the message boards.It really helped on decidiing my purchase.The power this unit has for a 400 is amazing.Burl.

Quote:

I have a 04 kodiak 450 and it starts everytime INSTANTLY and never lets me down, gobs of power in a smaller package, locking diff, disc brakes, liquid cooled, what more could you ask for besides fuel injection....that is the only thing i would want.

I can say exactly the same but my Kodiak is an 03'

I got the extended warranty on my kodiak which bumped it up to 3 years for a little more. I havent had any issues, and it started just fine at -38 degrees last year actual temp when my truck wouldnt start plugged in.

I have an 02 big bear and thought it was a great machine. no low range but didnt need it it is manual shift and the gears are spaced so you can do without low. also it is gear fairly low which is the only thing i didnt like (cruising speed of 40) they are great in mud and snow and great cold starters because of a heater in the carb. i liked it enough i went with yamaha again and bought a 05 grizzly because of the top speed. )I do need to sell the big bear if interested)I also looked at suzukis and they are nice also. cant beat hondas reliability.....Arcticat on the other hand i know 2 guys with them and neither starts well in the cold

I've got a 2000 Artic Cat 500 and it starts like a champ, regardless of the weather, no primer and usually don't even need to choke it. The guy I ride with the most has a Rubicon and it does not start well, especially in the cold. The Rubicon also gets stuck a lot easier than the Arctic Cat.

crazy.gifWell here again we have a matter of personal preferance and product loyalty !

I have a '04 Arctic Cat 500 Auto which I love grin.gif ! I had it out on the lake last year in -15 degree temps and it started without out even a hiccup. It handles like butter and rides the same on its fully independent suspension. If I had waited 6 more mouths to buy it, the AC's now from the 400's up now come stock w/ the front locking differential which although I haven't needed it myself, would sure come in handy if your getting into the DEEP muck and mire wink.gif. Which reminds me, what ever you deside on make sure you get a winch ! They really came in handy for more than pulling your machine out of the mud!

This brings us back around to the point I'm trying to make. You'll get as many opinions on machines as there are makes and models. Ole #1 has the right idea. Go out ride a few, check for features that suit you and buy what makes you feel good! Hope what ever you deside on brings you years of safe ice and good fishing ! cool.gif

Quote:

I've got a 2000 Artic Cat 500 and it starts like a champ, regardless of the weather, no primer and usually don't even need to choke it. The guy I ride with the most has a Rubicon and it does not start well, especially in the cold. The Rubicon also gets stuck a lot easier than the Arctic Cat.

i have a yamaha and i vouch the rubicon is a mud MONSTER...i would take the honda for the artic cat ANY day of the week, when it is up for reliability honda is the way to go. Artic cats are like suzuki's better get a bottle of loctite and put it on every bolt when you get it from the dealer. J/K it is all in fun...

Just want to start this off by thanking everyone that took the time to reply to my plea for help. I just got back from dear hunting so I have not had time sooner to thank you all.

I did buy an ATV; I bought a 2005 Artic Cat 400. It had less than fifty miles and a wench and at $4,499 I thought it a decent buy, not great but decent.

ps.

It did a nice job of pulling out 1 dear and a about a cord of wood. grin.gif

Thanks again.

Kidd