• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Honda ATV?

Fish killer

Looking for to buy a Honda 4x4 ATV and I am wondering about the differences between the Rancher, the Foreman and the Rubicon. and which is the the best for Deer hunting and Ice fishing purposes. Was on a Rancher two wheel drive this weekend and when trying to go thru the woods the front end seems to push alot instead of turning, will the four wheel drive take care of that problem? The rancher was a 350cc and seemed to have plenty of power so don't think I have to have the biggest engine available. More so handling in tight spots seems to be a big plus this last weekend. Thanks for the replies. smile.gif

I have a 2002 foreman 450S (manual shift). I have had no problems with it. I like the ability to be able to shift when i want to. Honda also has the ESP (electronic shifting program) on the rubicon and the foreman. The new foremans have a 500 cc engine which would be nice for added power. Honda has never been known for the top end speed on the utility machines but most guys like myself use them for hunting and ice fishing. You can't beat the dependability of

a honda. It all comes down to personal preference. If you don't mind shifting the 500 foreman would be the best choice

or if you want the automatic go with the rubicon. THe only thing to remember is the more electronic stuff on the machine the more chance of problems. I hope this helps you out with your decision.

The article I read about the automatic transmission in the Hondas is that it has no belts like the polaris, it is run oiff a hydralic system and is very reliable and offers no loss of power, and it is sealed so water is not a problem. I am thinking the ESP shifhting is a nice way to go just because of some of the spots I have to get to for hunting I have to go thru water over the floorboards and if you have to shift manually that means you better have rubber boots on. smile.gif

A few years back, when the Rubicon was introduced, I was part of some weight transfer sled pulls with all of the big bore machines. I do remember, the Rubicon pulled the shortest distance.

Not that the Rubicon is a bad machine or is it bulletproof. Many have opted to replace a drive belt versus a total tranny rebuild like that of a Rubicon. Study each machine the best you can. What could happen? How much will it cost for repairs if that part breaks?

Like someone stated, electronics and moisture don't play well together either. Some haven't had a single problem, others have.

I love my Foreman S. I have never liked the ESP design. The Foreman is a well rounded, simple machine that can take anything you give it IMO. The Rancher is a 4x4 too and very similiar to the Foreman, just smaller engine and chasis.

Like someone stated electronics and moisture sometimes don't mix, but sometimes belts and moisture don't react well either. wink.gif

Well thats two for the manual shift, but am still wondering on the two verus four wheel drive and it's maneuvering in tight areas.Any thoughts on whether the four wheel works better in this situation. Thanks for the Posts.

I have the 04' Foreman 450es, haven't used it a ton, but it is a great machine with zero problems...If you plan on using it much in the winter the 4 wheel drive is a must...It obviously doesn't turn quite as tight in 4 wheel but it has never been a problem for me...If I had it to do over I would opt for the manual shift...

Fish killer,

Maneuvering in tight areas on what type of terrain? Dry and flat, no problem for a 2WD. When the front wheels are being pushed in 2WD(maybe falling into some ruts too), rather than turning with traction in 4WD, there's less chance of sliding around in 4WD. Slight incline and slippery snow/mud, you'll have better traction (= better maneuvering) and less wheel spin with 4WD.

Dave

We were repairing deer stands this last weekend, and do not have ATV trails to these stands, so we had to pick and choose our way thru the woods to get to the stands to haul lumber and tools to rebuild a stand that a tree had fallen thru. So there was wet spots,fallen trees to go over and drive around and obstacles to get around, all the driving was in first gear. So I just noticed that the two wheel drive sometimes was pushing the front end instead of turning, Lack of weight on the front end maybe, was just wondering if the four wheel in this situation is a better option. Thanks

Hey Fish Killer!! Just bought a 2004 Foreman 450S. Got Steve to sell me his old Floe trailer so I'm mobile. If you are wondering what a foreman 450S rides like I'll let you take mine for a spin. In fact I don't deer hunt so it might be available. Eric might want to borrow it though. I drove your 4X2 honda last year up at Steve's and decided that I wanted 4 wheel drive. I might use it next weekend. Let me know if you want to take it for a spin. grin.gif

Sounds like Fisher King has a great offer for ya. Yes, weight on the back will increase the pushing front end. Sounds like this may be what you'll be using a wheeler for, so, I'd go 4X4 for easier crawling ability. Add snow to the mix and the light front end will "push" even more.

Congrats on the new purchase there Bob,Thanks for the offer on that I might have to take you up on that. So email me and give me the scoop on what you paid for it. I heard via the grapevine that you bought it off hsolist.Lets get'er muddy up north some time

smile.gif

I have a 2002 honda rancher 350es 4x4. The electric shift is a great option, it is an all around bulletpfoof machine that starts in extremely cold weather. I have the snow plow for the front, I bought new tire chains and have never had to use them while plowing snow. I have had no electrical problems whatsoever. Mine is full time 4 wheel drive. My plans are to give this one to my son and get the new rancher at with the gpscape. The new ones are actually 393 or 399 cc's and you can switch back and forth from 2 wheel to 4 wheel. You cant go wrong with the honda rancher in my opinion. The 350 I have now is more than enough powerto do just about anything you want to with it and the top speed on mine is 49mph and I am totally stock engine tires everything. Anyways, just a little more info for your decision. Iceman out>

Thanks Dakota Iceman, I liked the size of the Rancher a little better over the Foreman and Rubicon. And the price was better too.I just don't think you can go wrong with a Honda on the reliability issue either. smile.gif

I have the 2005 Rancher 350 ES. I bought it for hunting, fishing, plowing the driveway, and pushing the race car. It does all of these very easily. I have not had any problems with the ES. In fact, this spring I had it out with some friends and had water almost up to the seat. I was the only one to make it without problems (one was a 500 auto, other was 500 manual shift). My top speed has been 51. My neighbors bought the new Arctic Cats (Manual and belts), and while they ride smoother (ind. rear susp.), he has stated that the belts don't really like the water as much. The one reason I like the 350 over the bigger machines is that the 350 seems much lighter. I can lift my 350 and move it wherever I need to. The bigger machines can get very heavy.

I have the Rancher AT with GPS. The GPS is not very sophisticated but gets the job done. It has a large display and doesn't fade at -20 degrees. Built in and easy to use. No mounts or wiring to worry about. When you are 4 miles out on the ice in a white out, a hand held makes an excellent backup. We always have at least 2 GPS units and a compass. Yes electronics can and will fail at times that can be dangerous. Its happened to us, the handheld went out. A hand held GPS will do 10 times what the built in GPS does but you have to decide what works best for you and what you can afford.

The automatic transmission spoils you real fast. If needed you can use the electronics to shift individual gears. The 4 wheel/2 wheel drive electronic shift is nice. I pull a sled with gear and 2 light weight portable ice shelters strapped on top and have no problem with power. More power is always nice, especially if you are just a little bit faster than you friends but the 400cc engine is enough for me. Lots of choices but you can't go wrong with any of the ATV's.

Dealer I talked to also said that the GPS on the machine wasn't as good as what you can buy in a handheld unit, but when your out on the ice at night, do you really want to hold on to your handheld while driving or look at the lighted display on your machine to see if your following the same path back. I've tried it in my boat and it's not the funnest thing to do.

I own two honda rubicons, 2005 and a 2004. Both great machines. After talking to several fellow atv'ers, I chose not to go with the gps models. Everyone told me to just use my hand unit and I'd be way ahead. I,am glad I followed their advice. The added cost to buy the atv's with GPS, was an additional $200.00 per atv, I bought my Garmin 72 for $150.00, and have way more capablities. As for holding the GPS and driving, you can buy an accessory that bolts to your atv and holds your gps for you. Just my 2 cents.

i have an '03 foreman 450es. have never had a single problem with the electric shift in over 2500 miles. if you prefer manual shift you can always add aftermarket floorboards and a shift extension so you can shift with your left hand (looks similar to a jockey shift on a street bike). the nice thing with the forman or rubicon comapred to the rancher is that you have the option of switching from 2wd to 4wd instead of full time 4wd in the rancher.

as for gps, buy a ram mount and use your handheld (the foreman has a 12v plug in right up on the side of the instrument pod to plug it in). i was not impressed with the built in gps.

you may also want to check into the canadian model rubicon, it is supposed to have a much better suspension.

Quote:

you may also want to check into the canadian model rubicon, it is supposed to have a much better suspension.

Why on earth would Canada be getting Rubicons with better suspension than ones sold in the US? That makes no sense to me... confused.gif