• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Game Haulers

Jim Uran

Has anyone ever hauled their deer out of the brush with one of those wheeled carts before? I always thought about buying one(well actually every time I have a long drag)but have never used one. It seems like the spokes would get bent up easily through all the underbrush.

I've also contemplated one of these, I have a couple big public hunting areas that I'd like to bowhunt on but then I contemplate the drag... How do these work on rough ground?

Another option that I've contemplated is something I've seen on other web sites called 'the gutless butchering method'. Its geared for elk hunters but would work on deer. Basically you skin and cut the quarters off, put them in game bags, along with the backstraps, and pack them out. I've looked in the MN regs and they say that the head needs to be left attached to a quarter until you register it. Another option for that big buck that you get way back in the boonies. smile.gif

I have one that has two wheels that I bought at Cabela's about six years ago. I have used it for many deer and a few other big game animals and the cart has been a real back and time saver. Across grasslands and over fields I can go about the same speed as a slow walk when hauling a deer. In the woods you need to watch for fallen timber and it takes a little extra efort to go over branches and around trees and brush that is to narrow for the cart. especially at night when the only light is a headlamp.

I like to stay pretty mobile and and rarely hunt the same stands more than a couple times per season. When going into an area the cart allows me transport my gear without getting all sweaty. I usually carry a treestand or blind and a full body decoy along with my archery gear and camo. Even with all the gear and a deer I can make just one trip back to my vehicle after a succesfull hunt.

I also use my cart for hauling duck and goose decoys out to fields and small waters that would be a hard haul carrying them on your back.

OK that was the good now for the bad, the cart is a real pain in real muddy soft ground or through cattails, very hard to get through thick underbrush along the edges of woods unless there are trails. If it is hard to just walk through an area, I leave the cart in my vehicle until I figure a route around the nasty stuff, there have been times I am pretty sure I saved some time by taking

the long route.

Would I say it's worth the cost? I plan on buying another cart that folds up more compactly to save space in my suv. And I am keeping the one I have now just cause it has been so durable. The wheel so simple, so usefull, Who knew cool.gif.

Sleds also work very well. You'll see them show up soon if not already in stores. The heavyier duty ones can usually be found near the ice fishing sleds etc. Sleds work well getting over fallen brush and logs. I've never used a cart, but in the areas where I hunt I think the sled would work better. Get a little snow on the ground and watch out! Easiest pull you've ever had.

I have also used a sled. I bought one that kids use for sliding in the winter. I attached a rope connected to a 2x4 at the sled and one for me to hold onto. I also drilled a few holes along the side of the sled to put bungee cords across, which holds the deer in the sled. Man has this been a life saver, it makes the drag a lot easier for one person.

Plus it was very cheap to construct!!!

Fisher98

Just plan on dragging your deer to a point where it should be fairly easy to cart the rest of the way. From out west I know that sagebrush'd be brutal with one so any thick stuff around here couldn't be very fun either. May wanna bring a chain and lock if you're on public land and planning on bringing it into the woods so you can leave it somewhere without having it directly under your stand for scent purposes.