• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SAD DAY

FISH AWAY

With all the excitment of duck hunting this weekend, Sunday was a mixed bag. I was able to introduce my 9 month old lab to duck hunting and she did a wonderful job. That same day in the afternoon I lost my 14 year old retriever/lab her name is Indy, my hunting partner. It was probably for the best, with winter on its way.As I was sitting there with her you remember all the good times. One story that will always stick out. We were duck hunting public land when someone asked if I cared if they hunted the other side of a pass I was hunting.He had shot a duck down and his dog didn't want to go in the water and get it.Indy seen the duck go down and wanted to get it, I told the guy I would send Indy out to get it.She brought the duck back to me so I told him I would give it to him on his way out. When he was leaving I gave him the duck and he put it in his duck pile. We were talking for a little bit when I saw Indy go over to his pile of ducks to pick up the duck I just gave him and brought it back and put it in my pile. Left the rest of his duck alone.There are so many more good thought and memories.I was sitting by her and didn't no what I wanted to say.She was always there by my side.Fishing off the dock there she was,mowing the lawn she was always in my path (I think she did that on purpose). I had to slow my walk down a little so she could keep up but she was always there. Even at 14 she would play catch with my daughter. It kind of feels like she made it to this years duck hunt saw that the young black lab did a good job so she passed on. I will miss her dearly. I keep looking for her in the yard but shes not there, just in my heart.

Sorry for your loss... it's never easy... that's for sure...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

THEN YOU CROSS THE RAINBOW BRIDGE TOGETHER

Man what a sad post...

Sounds like you had a great dog and a great friend. Enjoy your fond memories of her and just think that now she's young again and she gets to hunt and play all the time where she's at!

Thanks for putting so eloquently the feeling we all share upon the loss of one of our good hunting partners... our dogs. I hope the fact that she made it to see one more opener is put in with all the other memories you two shared. I hope you and the young dog begin to add to all those memories....

Good Luck!

Ken

Fish Away,

That is terrible news, but that is an excellent post. I think all of us out there with dogs had to swallow a couple extra times after reading that. It sounds like Indy was loved by you and your family, and she also got to hunt. I think that exactly all new born puppies can hope for, you gave Indy a perfect dog's life. Take care and have fun with the pup.

And blink the old eye balls a bunch of times. I keep saying I won't read these at work. I just have to walk away from my desk. I just say it's allergies.

We all know that when we spend that long with our companions we will some day have to say good bye. It just is so hard.

Very, very touching!! Those of us who have been in the same place feel for you deeply. Please take solace in knowing there are a lot of hunters out here right now shedding a tear and saying a prayer for you and INDY!!!!!

GOD BLESS INDY!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you will figure out who this is.

I'm sorry to hear about Indy it's quite a loss to lose a long time companion.

She was a good dog. I remember her from when you introduced me to duck hunting. I just pulled a picture out of my desk drawer of me and Indy and 3 pheasants from a trip we took to Madison, Mn in October of 1995. Ten years ago wow. We should get together some time.

Ski

I tell myself I am not going to read these kind of post every time I read one. But always end up doing it anyways. Now I sit here with my hound sitting directly below me knowing that someday I will lose him too. You form bonds with your dogs that are like no others. Thanks for sharing your story and Indy will live on in your memories forever.

A DOGS PRAYER

Treat me kindly my beloved master...for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine....Do not break my spirit with a stick...for though I should lick your hand between the blows...your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do...Speak to me often...for your voice is the world's sweetest music...as you know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear...When it is cold and wet...please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal...no longer used to bitter elements...And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth....Though you had no home....I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper...Keep my pan filled with fresh water ...for although I should not reproach you were it dry...I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst...Feed me clean food...that I may stay well...to romp and play and do your bidding...to walk by your side...and stay ready. Willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger....And....My beloved master...should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight....do not turn me away from you....Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest....and i will leave you knowing with the last breath i drew...my fate was ever safest in your hands............................DOGS DON’T HAVE SOULS?...DO THEY?........I remember bringing you home...You were so small with your tiny paws and soft fur...You bounced around the room with your eyes flashing and ears flopping...Once in awhile you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory...Making a mess of the house and chewing everything in sight became a passion....and when i scolded you...you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say....I’m sorry...but I’ll do it again as soon as you're not watching...As you got older....you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by...When i had a tough day at work...you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say..."Welcome home...I missed you"...You never had a bad day and i could always count on you to be there for me...When i sat down to read the paper and watch TV...you would hop on my lap looking for attention...You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg...As you got older...you moved around more slowly...Then...one day...old age finally took its toll...and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore...I knelt down and patted you lying there...trying to make you young again...You just looked up at me as if to say... you were old and tired and after all these years of not asking for anything...you had to ask me for one last favor...With tears in my eyes...I drove you one last time to the vet...One last time...you were lying next to me...For some strange reason...you were able to stand up in the animal hospital...perhaps it was your sense of pride...As the vet led you away....you stopped for an instant...turned your head...and looked at me as if to say..."Thank you for taking care of me"....I thought...."NO , Thank you for taking care of me"...........