• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOw to get them to go away?

I hunted Saturday night, and was huning the edge of an open area... lots of acorns.. anyay, about 10 mins before end of shooting light a fork comes in.. and just hangs around.. stayed at about 10-13 yards for the next 15 mins.. I was ready to get down as it was quite dark.. I got the great idea to take my stabilizer off my bow and when he turned his head I would throw it behind him and scare him off without knowing I was there.. Plan woked not so well.. He turned his head, I threw, it landed with a nice thud.. he went and sniffed it, then continued to hang around... I then tried to make some deer noises.. baaaaa.. nothing... I then even tried.. "yo deer".. nope! Finally I just started lowering my bow and he trotted off...

Is there a way to affectivly get a deer to leave without knowing you were there...

twas a fun weekend.. 7 deer within 20 yards on saturday night.. 6 within 35 yards sunday morning...no killer bucks... mostly skinheads or fawn bucks.

Good topic Dietz!

I usually wait till it's pretty dark, then lower my bow and try to sneak out as quiet as possible. My thinking is that if it's dark, they won't be able to see you as well and even though they may spook, they won't know what spooked them. Now if it was a big buck, I'd stay in the tree until I felt he was out of the immediate area. My dad was out last evening and even in this heat, he saw 9 deer in the hardwoods and had 4 within 20 yards, a fork, yearling doe, and a couple fawns. Of course a monster of a doe wouldn't come within bow range. They're in the acorns bigtime!

Brian

Read an article from Gary Clancy a few years ago.....he said the same thing.....bark like a dog.

So I tried it last year......but the deer were already slightly nervous; maybe they had already winded me?

Well, they went away alright, like they were heading to the next county. These deer reacted instantly and were 0-60 in about 3 seconds. So I don't know if that's much of an endorsement or not, but these deer tore out of there.

Joel

Last night I had a doe nearby in the field. I waited till dark and slowly and quietly got out of the stand. I walked the edge of the field out of there...and when I got back to the truck I heard the deer walk away in front of me. She must have been making her way down the field like I was.

As mentioned, if it's dark and you try to be quiet...I think they will tend to walk off fast and not bolt away scared. If I have deer under me I will always try to wait them out or wait for darkness and try to ease out quietly.

You could sleep in your stand!!! And get them in the morning! The wife might mind a little though.

I've grunted at small bucks and had them run, then others have stayed near bye. Depending how dark it is, I think a person is relatively safe climbing down after dark. I've read where some people hang stands after dark, because deer aren't so afraid of a hunter at night, not sure if this is true or not. I think the key is to have 2 or 3 exit routes from each stand. If you only have one, then your in trouble.

Opening weekend, I climbed down from a stand and started walking back to the truck. There was a small buck, 4-6 pt, standing feeding along a corn field. I got within 15 yards of him, then he circled downwind of me. I simply kept walking, he never spooked. Maybe that was his first encounter - who knows.

Had this same problem last week. Had a really nice 10 pt. 15 yards behind me that I couldnt shoot cuz I didnt have my doe yet. Its getting dark and I need to get down and pick up my son, since I am already about 5 minutes later then when I said I would meet him. I tried snapping branches, grunting, clapping, stomping on my stand, etc. He didnt care one little bit. It turned out there was another buck coming in, and it completely had his attention. Finally, I just lowered my bow and started working my climber down the tree. It still didnt spook this deer, he just moved off slowly in the direction of the other buck!

One way that I use, in extreme circumstances, is have a buddy drive in with the pickup, granted i hunt in a pasture where vehicals drive in all day long, but it seems to work good for me, and i get picked up.