• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chewing while bowhunting

Dead Eye

This might be a stupid question. This is my first year bowhunting for deer and I'm wondering if chewing tobacco would be a bad idea due to the scent. Obviously I would not spit on the ground but if I had a cup up in my stand, how much would that affect my luck? Thanks

Someone last year tried to convince me that if you urinate from your stand it's not big deal.

If we are going to spend time and money being scent free, why would you want to put any scent into the air that is not natural?

Masking agents help, but are not a guarantee. Scent Shield, Scent A Way, whatever helps also.

I think your best off not chewing, but that is my take.

Personal opinion...It doesn't matter what you do in your stand...chew tobbaco or gum, smoke, eat candy....IF you're set up downwind of where you expect the game to come! While "cover" scents and clothing may help "some", there is nothing in my opinion that totaly eliminates human scent! You're breathing constantly,(at least you should be), and with every breath you're realeasing "Human odor" into the air...I prefer to have several stand locations set up for various wind directions and NEVER hunt with the wind blowing from you to where you expect the game to be traveling! I even go so far as to climb out of my stand if the wind switches on me unexpectadly...Better to be safe than sorry and "screw up" a good spot you worked long and hard to find!!

My buddy was chewing "apple skol" last year and just spitting it on the ground. He shot (bow) a deer that was coming up to check it out. Granted it was yearling but he thought it liked the smell of apple. After he shot that deer another nearby young deer came up and licked the spot where he had been spitting. Maybe just dumb luck?

Obviously not doing it would be the best. But in my opinion, if it had to be done I'd rather take my chances on spitting on the ground then to have a cup/can with me and risk the movement that would be involved with using that to spit in.

I once actually spit on a doe directly under my stand while chewing Skoal mint. She turned her neck, licked it, and went on her way out into the corn field. I believe chewing may help cover up bad breath.

was glassing a field the other night and walked in on the edge of the field. on the way down the tree line my buddy and i spit out our snuse. not more than an hour later we watched a curious doe walk up to it and sniff if. she took off spooked but didnt go but more than 10 feet. she then proceded to follow our track to when we sat, about 45 yards away from us she turned and browsed her way into the center of the field.

i spit on the ground and so does my buddy. we are grizzly type of guys him mint and me wintergreen, he also chewed vanilla and got his first buck sniffin at a snuse when he shot it

I shot a pope and young with a big "cha" of Copenhagen in my lip last season. I gut the snuff and just by my encounters and experiences I have not had any worse luck than my buddy who does not put dirt in his lip. I am big on scent control and wind but after a decade of hunting big bucks I have not found any reason to believe that chewing tobacco has any effect on bowhunting success...even with mature animals.

Hey, I think you guys are on to something here,

Someone needs to contact the US smokeless tobacco Co. and introduce a chaw that will act as a cover scent or an attracter.

Lets just hope they DONT team up with Tinks #69 or Wildlife Research Center to make the product. That could be a foul taste. tongue.gif

Special golden estrus long cut, hhhmmmmmmm maybe I'll stick with whats on the market already.

WAG