• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

over and over again

fishkid

So my buddie (fishinmike0770) and i figured out a spot to go to on this lake to catch tons of crappies. so we have been going there the past 4 days. We have been releasing everything we have been catching because they are going to spawn soon and we dont want to interupet that. But then everytime we are there we see the same boat there 3 days in a row keeping there limit or getting very close. And there is only 2 people in the boat all the time. So when they drove by us we asked how they did they said "enough". I dont have a cell phone but my friend does and when we got home today we put the tip line in his phone book.

I have to say that when I was younger, I did fish three days a week, and did indeed catch fish and eat them the same night. I know that if it was up to my wife, we would have fish every night.

There are those that abuse, and those that are "Law abiding citizens". A person that fishes every day, does not mean that they are breaking the law. I would be upset if someone called the DNR on me because I like to eat fish. I believe it it still my right, as long as I am within the daily/possesion limit.

For instance, I would bet that I caught over 40 panfish today, I took home 10, all of them were less than 8 inches and they are already consumed(thanks to Dietz's mayonaise recipe).

Seems like more and more people are being critical about a person keeping there share for the table, keep this in mind while out there. Most people are out there for enjoyment and to take a couple home for the table.

If they are abusing the limit law they should be turned in, but are you sure that they don't eat fish regularly(still legal).

RR4

It is legal, but it is definitely unethical for a fishermen to take their limit of spawning crappies 3 days in a row. When you can find the crappies spawning, they stack up so thick that you can easily get a limit. It really hurts to take 10 female crappies full of eggs 3 days in a row. This will only hurt fishing for future generations.

I agree with the taking of fish every day. I have seen a boat in the same spot the last three days catching some nice slabs. Would be nice if people would just fish for the fun. And I know most of us do. I also agree you should be able to enjoy a meal with your family.

I couple lakes went to 5 fsh because of the over limit and the constant pressure. I can see the DNR closing crappies during this time of the year next.

You can see the me, me, me attitude everywhere today. Never use to be like that. Times are changing! Hold on!

Yesterday was a catch & release day for me too. (actually, I haven't fileted a fish yet this year)

I caught probably 10-12 nice crappie, but I still have a couple bags of filets in the freezer.

I saw a boat pulling in a lot of fish & keeping all of them, they caught a big cat & even kept that. Oh well, I guess people will do what they want to do.

Our (Indiana) limit for crappie is 25 per person with no size limit. That's a lot of fish.

In Minnesota this year, when purchasing an angling liscense, one of the questions that was asked was if you think that you should be allowed to fish crappies when they are spawning. The DNR must be looking at closing or restricting the limit of crappies during this time.

I am starting to think that everyone on this site is starting to get a little trigger happy with their cell phones and the tip line. I do not have have a problem with calling in poachers but for goodness sakes make sure your in the right before you pull that trigger.

I agree also that it is starting to be like you are a no good bum if your keeping fish to eat. Everyone seems to be slapping themselves on the back about how they do not keep fish.

I usually do not go fishing unless I want fish to eat. Excluding muskie and bass I am a fish eater not a fish harrasser.

Muskybuck-

Myself I like to think that the reason people are all over potential offenders is because they care about our resources and do not want to see them hurt or destroyed by illegal acts. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It benefits us all from the meat fisherman to the trophy hunter by helping to provide stable fish levels in our lakes and rivers.

Muskybuck....I could not agree with you more in your perception. I am on the water a lot around Rochester and see a good many faces. I see a lot of people at the landings. It is when I see the same faces at the same landings with a pail of fish each time that I begin to get a bit peeved. I don't put much stock into those who are fishing simply because I am too busy doing the same thing. But if I see the same crew doing the re-run procedure for days and show up at the dock each day with that bucket full....the button on speed dial will be hit. The ones that really get my motor runnin are those dudes who go to shore and send one of the others home with the pail and come back in a half hour with a different colored pail altogether. When I see that the car's license is included with the boat numbers and the description of the people.

But you are right.....the cell and tip are only tools for those you know are breaking the law. TIP is not a tool for the vindictive and filing false reports knowingly get just as much attention as those reports for which the program is intended.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that it is okay to take fish for a meal for the family. It's just the people that feel they need to take a limit just because they can. Then they will stick them in the freezer and keep catching more and more fish. I think everyone in here just wants to see qualtiy fishing for the years to come.

You guys should wish more fisherman were like me.... I'm just too lazy to take fish home & clean them smile.gif

I even have a new descaler I've been wanting to try...lol

I did kill my first fish today though...it swallowed the hook. I thought I got it out ok but she was floating soon after. Food for the birds....

Most fisherman know right & wrong, some just don't care. But I believe we have enough that do to make up for those that don't.