• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of 4-Wheeler

LOTWKIng

Like I said before, I'm in the market for a 4 wheeler and just can't decide on what kind to get. I'll mainly use it for plowing my driveway and just doin odd jobs around the house. I was thinking of about a 400cc. What is the best quad out there for the buck

If you want the absolute best 400cc class machine, go with a Bombardier (BRP) Outlander 400. As much power as most 500cc class machines, independent suspension, auto, and has the best 4x4 system on the market.

The independent suspension isn't like the typical dual A-arm suspension like you will find on the Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris, Suzuki, or Yamaha. The BRP set-up is more of a trailing arm style that virtually eliminates tire scrub, making the handling much better/safer.

I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 400, and it does everything you list with ease. I have been very happy with it, overall. I have used it for plowing snow, skidding logs, ice fishing, and elk hunting up to 11,000 feet up in Colorado.

All brands have good units in that size. Don't get blinded by a particular brand, go with the dealer who is going to take care of you down the road. That was the overriding factor in my case.

Gissert,

did you get your SP400 from Fergus? A few years ago I bought a Scrambler 90 for my kids while the dealership was still in Weetown. They sold out to the Dealership in Fergus shortly after. Great guys to work with IMO.

LEP -

Yes, Nelson Dodge/Polaris. Excellent service, IMO, and cut me a heck of a deal a on a plow and frame a few months after I bought the wheeler. They just rebuilt a clutch for one of my sleds, very reasonable.

I had good luck with the service in Weetown on my sleds, too.

Picked up a 400 bombardier outlander this fall.So far has been an awsome machine.I looked real hard at the honda products because i have other products that are made by them but it cam down to the fact that the honda machine is not up to speed with the newest technology.I think the main thing is to buy from a dealer that will stand behind problems.No matter what the make you may have some kind of problem to deal with.I found this out when the four wheel drive would not lockup,Turned out to be a simple problem and the dealer had it fixed the next day for me.Burl.

I have to agree with jerkn'm.

Unbelieveable machines. Honda's withstand my abuse... shocked.gif

Between my family and relatives, we've owned Kawasaki's, Arctic Cats, Honda's and Polaris'. They are all good, but there were more issues with the Polaris machines than the others. Just my experiences.

I have a polaris Explorer. I could not of asked for more it starts even under the extreme -50 degree days. It also has tremendus tork and its only a 400. Its never not started. It is great on gas milage. There is no 2 ways about it if i were to buy another 4 wheeler it would be a polaris.

LOTWking, seriously, for driveway plowing and putzing around, a 300-400cc class machine with low range is more than enough. Yes, I included 300cc. You'd be surprised how muh you can do with a machine that size. People under estimate the power they have.

If you are going to consider a 300cc quad,I would suggest the Bombardier Outlander 330!All the same great features of the 400,with a little less umph,but a little less $$$$!Yamaha makes a 350 Bruin,and also the 450 Kodiak.The 400 Kodiak does not feature a low gear so that is kind of out of the question.

You don't need low range most of the time to plow snow. If your wheeler doesn't have it; it is probably geared low anyway. My Yamaha Big Bear is that way...at high gear it is about 10 mph slower at least than the Honda...but who cares? It plows snow easily 2 feet deep. All the one's mentioned above are nice machines. I would go to your local dealer and test drive them...that's the only way to be sure. Good Luck

Got to agree with hangbelly I have one of these and has been problem free for as long as i have owned it and the price is right. There is a guy in cambridge MN that sells 4 wheelers and got a price no one in the cities would touch