• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Trout

Here are a few pictures of some lakers that were caught a few days ago. A friend and I were fishing in a 150FOW off of Basswood Island in Lake Superior. The first is a 25" lean trout where the second is of me reeling that hard fighting fish up to the ice. The third is a 20" fish caught just before the first hit. Always a good time on the big lake chasing these lakers...

laker25049rl.png

lakerreel047wp.png

laker20047hz.png

I havent hooked or landed any huge fish this year yet, biggest being around 30 inches. But I have heard reports of a few 20+ pound fish being iced out of the depths.

winter050112ae.jpg

Here's a 20" laker, I guessed about 3lbs, that I caught last week on Caribou Lake, north of here. 50' of water on a dead stick with a live sucker minnow a couple feet off the bottom. He put up quite a battle on my walleye tackle.

This is the first year I've done better on lakers than streamers....and I like it!!!

Brian

Nice action and fish pics there. What kind of lure and bait were you using. Boy they sure look light in color, must be from the deep water you're catching them in? Very nice fish regardless.

Brian

Yeah, I am not partial to hats I wear... usually ones I get for free... grin.gif

Anyways, you are correct BMC these fish are deep deep fish and do not have the coloring of fish in northern lakes of MN or Canada. Some do have a really neat blue color to them though. Almost a steel blue color. But one thing is for sure, they get big and fight hard in the depths we fish them at. The baits we use range from big jigging spoons up to 6oz depending on depth/current/ect and flying jigs called beetles over this way. These come in different makes and weight. We then use cut bait (herring or smelt) to put on top of the jigs through a set of safety pins that are mounted in the jigs themselves. Also, I personally use twister tails or other types of plastics on the main hook and add a stinger hook to the set-up to increase hooking precentage.

Yup, born and raised here in this little area on the south shore of the big lake... Always good fishing going on here in the pond... smile.gif Look me up next time you are around, maybe we can get out and chase some fish...