• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy 4x4 ATV

waynorth

I am just starting to look for a used ATV. I have never owned one and know very little about them, I mainly want to use it for ice fishing and pulling the kids on a sled, not looking for a racer or mountain climber, all I want to do is fill the gas tank and go. If you own a ATV or know of a good make/model please help me out with your knowledge, I am not mechanicaly inclined at all. Thanks in advance for your help. Dan

Hi Dan...

Just this year, I was in you very same situation. I think the best advice I can give you is to go out and actually ride a few. All the major players in the ATV world put out a good 4x4 machine that will do everything you ask of it. It would be hard to go wrong with any of them.

I'm partial to Polaris. For others it may Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki... and the list goes on.

What makes a good ATV a GREAT ATV is dealer support after the sale. Go out, ride a few and talk to them. Not just the salesman, but the service department guys as well.

When I was looking for a wheeler 4 years ago, I went out on a couple of area lakes early winter ice and didn;t fish, just talked to 4 wheeler owner, asked if they liked theirs, ect and where they bought it, went to a few of the places mentioned talked 4 wheelers and looked at their service dept. ended up with 400 artic cat, he had a good shop and good reports from owners. my cat has never been back to the dealer.

If you go new consider the bombardie outlander's. They have an extremely good warranty. They also have a locking front differential. They are also reasonably priced. I've had honda, polaris, and yamaha. Pick your poison, they all have their faults and benefits. Test drive some and compare prices.

J.T.

waynorth,

if you're going to pull a sled, make sure the sled has a solid straight arm hitch if pulling anyone in a sled. You could be looking at a hefty fine if caught pulling with a rope. This is one of the many points I make during my ATV safety training (I'm a MN DNR Safety Instructor). I'd hate to see your kids getting hurt while having fun.

But, as to which machine I would recommend, I would look into either a Honda Recon, Honda Rancher, Suzuki Ozark, Suzuki Eiger 2x4, Kawasaki Bayou, Yamaha Wolverine 4x4, or the Yamaha Bruin 2x4. All of these machines are fully capable for intentions at a reasonable price.

Quote:

waynorth,

if you're going to pull a sled, make sure the sled has a solid straight arm hitch if pulling anyone in a sled. You could be looking at a hefty fine if caught pulling with a rope. This is one of the many points I make during my ATV safety training (I'm a MN DNR Safety Instructor). I'd hate to see your kids getting hurt while having fun.

But, as to which machine I would recommend, I would look into either a Honda Recon, Honda Rancher, Suzuki Ozark, Suzuki Eiger 2x4, Kawasaki Bayou, Yamaha Wolverine 4x4, or the Yamaha Bruin 2x4. All of these machines are fully capable for intentions at a reasonable price.

I have a 2001 Yamaha wolverine and I love it. I ride alot and it has been problem free. Whatever you do test drive a few and see what you feel comfortable on. Each type of atv has a little bit different handling style. You also have to decide if you want fully auto or if you want to shift.

Personally I am a Yamaha guy, but other manufacturers are nice too.

Whatever you do and whatever dave says stay away from those big Polaris's. grin.gif lol grin.gifgrin.gif

mad.gif Now ya gone and done it, ELE! If you're not nice, I'm gonna have to put you in the same class as MacGyver and ChuckN. Trust me, you don't want to be in that class and listen about Honda's, day in and day out. It gets old..... smirk.gif

Yamaha is the way to go!! if you dont want to spend too much get a big bear 400, or the kodiak 450 packs a punch, then there is the big dog grizzly 660. I got the 450 and it does everything i could ask for.

Koidak 450 is a great ATV. I got Yamaha’s least expensive model, a 2005 Bruin 350, 4x4. So far, I have no problem starting in sub-zero weather and pulling a wheeled fish house without chain. It fits my needs (ice fishing and snow plowing). It’s well worth $4K (plus tax)

yeah, honda's are great if you don't like ground clearance, a nice ride or having a locking front differential. Plus if you want drum breaks on all corners they are superb. The only good one is the rincon 650, and guys are having problems with running big wheels on them. Axle shafts and bearing housings are breaking.

Have a honda, have a yamaha and have had polaris's. Check out the bombardie.

J.T.

Thanks again everyone for your input, and thanks LEP7MM for the heads-up on pulling a sled with a rope, I had no idea. I did try out a Polaris sportsman 500 and thought it rode great, it was a 02 with 500 miles on it and they wanted 4500.00, seemed reasonable, I plan on looking at some others that you all have mentioned, cant wait to own one.

Waynorth,I'm on my 2nd Suzuki the only I reason I traded my 300 kingquad was I wanted somthing a little quicker and higher off the ground,Anyway before I bought a Suzuki a guy told me to look in the paper to see if any were for sale and I could not find a one ! people do not trade them and thay just don't die Its the only toy that earns it's keep and I drive it like I stole it

honda is the only way to go. people can say all they want about the clearance, brakes, suspension etc. as far as i am concerned the most important part of an atv is the motor, and honda has the most reliable motors out there. i own honda atv's outboards, lawn mower weedwhips generator and more. if it has a motor and honda makes one, thats what i'll be buying. (although i did break that rule and bought my daughter a polaris sportsman 90...liked the idea of her not having to learn to shift right away, this way she can learn to handle the machine first and learn about shifting second. also liked the full floorboards on it. nice for a kid. i wish honda would update the fourtrax 90)

I actually have a 4x4 Sportsamn 500 ho remington camo edition fourwheeler that i think rides great.. I love it but there is a problem iwth it.. well not really it was my fault.. now the thing is getting a new ring and pistion and bored out... nice ride.. 700 miles that I would be willing to sell for loan value.... not asking to get anything over what I owe on it... even the 1200 I am putting into it... just can't afford it right now...

I have an 2002 eiger 400 4x4. The machine is great, no problems. It has been everything I wanted, plus. If you don't want 4x4 you can switch to 2 wheel drive, if you need more power you switch to low range. Nice options.