• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Clam 5600 vs the Fish Trap ??

bigminnow

I just found out my wife picked up a Green Bay Packer Clam 5600 for my xmas present(I am a WI transplant here in MN). Is the clam 5600 a decent fish house? I was hoping to pick up a Fish Trap b/c it looks like you can set it up faster. However after looking at the clam it looks good sized so there would be more room. Does anyone have experience with either one? What are your thoughts? Any comments are appreciated (except ripping on the Pack grin.gif)

thanks

Bigminnow

You can't go wrong with either shack, as long as it's Blue. I have a Fishtrap Pro and a 5600. If you move alot or fish alone, the Fishtrap is a better choice, much easier to set up and take down, but if you like more room and fish multiple lines the 5600 will shine. Other things to consider are, how many people will you fish with? Will you have to pull it and other equipment out on the ice on foot? I don't think one fish house can do it all. They all have there pros & cons. Go with what fits your needs and style of fishing.

I have a clam and I like it, but its not great to take out with a snowmobile or ATV. It's not terribly slow to setup, maybe 2 minutes with no wind. I fish two in my 5600 and fish each out of one rectangle hole on opposite sides. It's hard to each fish two holes, but it works. All you have to do is paint it purple and your set. wink.gif

Big Minnow,

I have had a Clam jr. (smaller than the 5600) and now have a Fish Trap. Both have their advantages. When fishing with the Trap you just drill your holes (2 or 4) in a row and pull up the shack and fish. With the Clam you need to measure for the holes if you plan to fish out of both sides.

The Trap also sets up easier. I don't know if it has changed or not but I do like the feauture on the Clam of being able to take off the canvas and bring it in the house to let dry out. They can get pretty wet with all the condensation that forms.

The Clam is also harder to assemble (at least the older ones were) especially when its windy and you are fishing alone.

I can store most of my gear in the Trap and put it right n the back of the truck with the gear still inside. When towing the Clam you will need to set your gear on top of it.

Either are fine shacks.

When we getting out???

WG

I use a 5600 Clam and like it a lot. I like having a floor under my feet and I don't move around a lot so the Clam works well for the way I fish. If I was more of a transient type I think I'd rather have a pull-over style house; they seem much better suited to a nomadic way of fishing. smile.gif

I don't move much either when I go out so I like the floor also. I went from a 460 to the 5600 last year. Lots more room and just dandy for 2 guys. I just mark the holes as wide as I can, move the house and drill. No problem with 4 lines down unless a big old pout gets going. It also fits perfect in my van when folded up. I built a ski pull rack for it that works great with early ice and snow.

My friend and I bought a 5600 a couple years back. I think it is extremely easy to set up - less than a minute even. It also folds up nice to fit in the vehicle. I also like having a floor. The 5600 is a little heavy - but we have an Otter sled. we put all the gear in the sled - set the 5600 on top of the sled - and tie it up with rope sections that I have secured through holes drilled into the top sides of the Otter sled. We then set the ice auger on top of the 5600 and you can easily pull it if the snow isnt too deep. The Frabill speed shack isnt too bad either - but we bought the clam because it gave us about the same amount of room and wasnt as heavy. Like one of the previous posts said it all depends on how you like ot fish too - we usually dont move around too much once we are set up.

I'm just like Phred52. I borrow my friends fishtrap when I'm fishing alone during nice weather. I use my 5600 all the other times. From what I understand, the newer versions are easier to set up and take down than the 5600's of years past. And like another post said, I can take off the shell and dry it out after each trip. That's a plus.

Thanks guys, I will have to go back to Fleet and Farm and look at each again. I can see the benefits of having a floor on cold days but it seems like it would be hard to be "nomadic" in the 5600. Also it seems the sled with the Fish trap or otter Cabin would be easier to put my equipment in the tub to drag out.

Man I am stoked to get out on the Ice

thanks again,

Bigminnow

I HAD A CLAM AND SOLD IT LAST YEAR. BOUGHT A FISH TRAP THAT I LIKE TO USE. ONE DOWN FALL ABOUT THE CLAMS, PULLING THEM THROUGH THE SNOW SUCKS. THEY MAKE GREAT SNOW PLOWS. I CAN LOAD UP THE FISH TRAP WITH GEAR AND IT PULLS EASIER THAN THE CLAM.