• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite lure under a tip-up

Duffer

for eyes during day....red hook, day...glow hook.

for pike....jimmy rig has worked real well for me...with the standard baits..suckers, shiners, etc. Dont forget the smelt. Especially where there's a little current...pike can smell that fish oil....and they'll follow it right to your bait.

When I fish for the big toothy monsters I use dead smelt about 8 inches long, I buy frozen ones at cubs in the spring and vaccuum seal 5 to a pack, use a bigger hook, like a eagle claw with a large split shot 18 ins. above the hook, the smelt usually floats, so the shot should be just big enough to sink the smelt to 3 or 4 ft. off the bottom. I have best luck with a old wind lass tip up, its got a tin vane mounted on the arm to jiggle the bait, I got that tipup at a garage sale 20 years ago, no brand name on it. crazy.gif

For walleye I like a large Glow Demon and two fathead minnows hooked by the tail. I spark up the Glow Demon with a camera flash every 20 min or so and check the bait. The two minnows appear to prod each other so you get a constant struggle that walleye find irresistible. If I want a simple hook rig I use the Featherlight Eagle Claw circle hook and a few shots.

For pike a 6 or 7 O/T Gamakatsu straight eye octopus style circle hook with a 4-8" sucker. I tie it up with 24" of 30# 7-strand Steelon leader with a barrel swivel on top. I add a bass bullet weight just above the barrel swivel at whatever weight I need to keep the size bait I have centered in the hole. On occasion I may also add a large Colorado blade and cleaves above the bullet weight to add a bit of extra attraction. With smelt or herring I may use a circle hook and a small treble as a quick strike rig on the same basic steel leader configuration.

Nor are perch allowed as bait in ND or SD. I think I would skip young perch as a bait option.

Stonecats (AKA Madtom Cats, AKA Willowcats) are legal bait in MN. Madtoms can be great nontraditional bait for walleye in deep wintering holes on rivers. Madtom Catfish are not the easiest bait to locate in the winter though. Tiny Bullheads often are top forage for walleye on many systems. It would be well advised to check your local regulations before using Bullheads. Unfortunately, presently in ND neither the Mattom Cat or the Bullhead can be used as live bait or whole as dead bait.