• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery / Firearms Tag

No. One buck and possibly up to four antlerless deer (one mgmt and 3 intensive harvest) can be tagged in a season except for just a couple counties with a two buck experiment area (if that's even still going I don't know).

You should just buy the all season. You get to hunt both seasons (and the muzzleloader) and get two tags one for a buck and one for a doe.

Quote:

No. One buck and possibly up to four antlerless deer (one mgmt and 3 intensive harvest) can be tagged in a season except for just a couple counties with a two buck experiment area (if that's even still going I don't know).

You should just buy the all season. You get to hunt both seasons (and the muzzleloader) and get two tags one for a buck and one for a doe.

I thought that it was possibly up to four antlerless deer (one mgmt or 4 intensive harvest)?

It's up to four Bonus Permits, 1 Managed Deer Permit and 3 Intensive Deer Permits, or 4 Intensive Deer Permits. But the Managed Deer Permit MUST be used in a Managed Deer Permit Area and the Intensive Deer Permit in a Intensive Deer Permit Area. Sorry but no more bucks can be taken Buckslayer.

The way that I read it and the DNR explained it to me is that, yes you are only able to get one buck (except in some special areas) but if you have a management tag then you have to take that anterless deer in that area, however if you have intensive harvest you can take that deer anywhere in the state that allows intensive harvest with a bow or in your gun zone. Also if you don't muzzel hunt then it is cheaper for you to buy a gun tag, and a bow tag and then your extra licenses. (The DNR actually recommended that to me.) Does anyone see this any different?

To answer buckslayers question:

No, you cannot tag and register 2 bucks in MN for yourself(unless you are in NW MN under whatever reg they have up there, and I honestly don't know what they have going).

Bottom line, if you are anywhere but NW MN, you are done tagging and registering a BUCK.

Antlerless permits are a totally different game. Depending on your permit area, you can get management tags or intensive harvest tags for Antlerless only deer.

Other than those few permit areas in the NW it's one buck, other than party hunting. We often times bowhunt or ml hunt in small groups after gun season & then we pretty much share any tags available, wanting anyone that gets a shot opportunity to be able to shoot if they choose to. Sightings tend to go way down late season & it's colder out, we've found it's more fun to hunt together then & when everybody has the same chance. It's just as exciting if your buddy gets a deer to fill a tag that will likely burn, as if you fill it anyway. My buddies & I will probably get out 5 times or less each the rest of the year. We're all married with kids & our wives don't hunt, so the opps are getting fewer & farther between at this point in the season.

Didnt expect this kind of response....thanks everyone. I generally only bow hunt in MN, and Bow and gun hunt in WI, so I was a bit unclear on the rule. So let me get this straight, I can't fill my bow tag with another buck, but I can use it to tag a doe in a management area? or do I have to have a bonus tag?

I just went through this with the DNR, and they told me that I had to purchase the Managment tag to tag the deer. I could NOT tag a deer with my normal archery tag after I had already tagged a deer with my normal firearms tag. I should have purchased the all season....

I did tag a doe with my normal firearms tag, and the DNR still told me that since I did not purchase the All season tag, that I still could not tag a Buck with my archery license, only the management tag (which is doe only)

Hope this helps, I actually just went through this with the DNR this week so it's pretty fresh in my mind.

I'll be party hunting this weekend so thankfully we can still tag one buck between us.

The above posts are correct. Once your regular firearms tag is used on any deer your regular archery licence is VOID but you can still do the bonus doe within the rules with your bow. Just make sure you are not in a lottery area for does.

HI YA FIVEUBCKS!

what a coincidence, there is a way you can tag FIVE bucks in one season with your own tags right here in minnesota.

anybody care to guess?

i will check back in a little while, but i am sure someone will understand wink.gif

happy hunting!!

Hey Jigglestick!

I've never gotten 5 bucks in one season, had to settle for 3 a couple of times. I'm thinking you're refering to party hunting otherwise you've got me stumped. OK I just re-read your post and I'm stumped. I know up in the LOW area where we hunt I can tag a buck both archery and firearms. How did your season go this year? We did OK but we didn't see many deer and did not get anything big, although my doe was bigger than the forkie I got. I'll have to make it a point to hit Camp Jigglestick this year. Until then, happy hunting, fishing, and dreaming about hunting and fishing.