• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stand Height

SartellMN

Now that gun season is over where I hunt, I am going back out for bow hunting. I bought a new stand and I am having trouble figuring out how I should set it up. I am hunting either at the edge of an empty field (not likely) or at the edge of wetlands (very likely). I have a stand that I can set up at either 11 feet high or 15 feet high. The trees are bare and the wind where I hunt is fairly strong, so I am inclined to set my stand at 12 feet high. I am worried that the deer will see me, but I am not sure if the additional 4 feet is worth it.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have seen several stands that only go to 12 feet anyway. I know that the higher the better, but I feel like I can make a better shot a bit lower.

Thanks.

I would definately suggest setting your stand at the height you are comfortable with to shoot your best and most effective shot. Have you practiced shooting from elevated positions? I noticed you said the trees were bare but do you have any up-cover like twigs and branches? can you move a bit deeper into the tree line and still get shooting lanes? If not, you know, the trick is to just keep your movements to a minimum and your scent under control at lower heights. I have a few stands of differing heights from 6' to 15' here on my property and I also ground hunt. I've had deer literally standing within 10 yards of me, and sure, they check me out, but zero movement, good camo and scent control eases their curiosity. I just wait until they lower their heads to graze before drawing my bow.

I hate being under 12' & really prefer to be 15' or a little more, but I figit way too much, so I need the extra help. As long as you're not in their direct line of site & especially if there's background cover & you can still still, you don't need to be very high. I have one permanent stand that's only 7'. I've only hunted it twice, as it's not in a great spot, but the time I did see deer, they had no clue I was there.

Are these ladder stands? I typically like to get at least 15'-18', out of sight, I got busted once by a nice buck because I was too low, around 10', never again, lesson learned, I always try to find trees with cover, like branches or close smaller trees that will break up my sillouete.

I agree the higher the better and try and find some trees with cover. I was busted by a nice buck, not by scent or movement but my outline against the sky. Small trees, no leaves, 12ft up and now no deer. He knew something wasnt right and bolted just as i put the pin on him. He didnt see me move just way to smart!

I never sit lower than 20'. Just my preference over the yrs. Remember deer do see a blob in the tree from the corner of their eyes just like you would see on the side even though you're looking straight ahead. Would you see somone 12' up if you were just walking around. More often than not you notice a blob from the corner of you eye and look up. A deer would do the same thing. Sounds unrealistice but true.

Oh, some deers have seen one to many hunters and can easily reconize you even if you don't move. I see this all the time with older deers. They take one look at me and the rest is a big bunny bounding away. None of that side to side head movement thing.

Deer thinks to itself " Hmm, I don't remember this blob protruding from this tree ".

I agree with the 12' thing. In my experience the difference in being sighted at 15' versus 12' has been amazing. I would also agree that you can safely sit much lower depending on the surrounding cover & what the deer's approach to the stand will be. Each stand sight is totally different. Will they be broadside or walking right at you? Will you be able to shoot them as soon as they come into view or will they have to walk in plain sight for 15-20 yards, 200, half a mile, etc. If a deer comes into view so you're essentially behind it immediately, you don't have to be very high. I realize they don't always come from where you expect them to, but some stands their approach is the same 90+% of the time.

Myself I hunt no lower than 20' and have some stands as high as 32'. I can't remember a time when a deer has ever looked up at me. The problem with hunthing this high though is that it make a 10 yd slam dunk shot a bit tougher. To hunt this high you really need to do a ton of practicing from this height. I am sure in most of my setups I could get away with being lower but I feel I can get away with a bit more movement being this high. Also I have never been busted when I have drawn to shoot, and I know from experiance that you can get busted easily at much lower heights. First and foremost is you need to hunt from a height that you feel comfortable! If you are clinging to the tree because of the height then it is time to move down.

stand height is a prob for many. i was seriously hurt falling from a stand. its taken me many years to start feeling comfortable in a stand but the highter the better and wear that harness at all costs. i have ground hunted out of double bull blinds with success, very cool having them bucks come right in front of the tents. might be a good spot to plug one of them with that outfit. ive had good luck at 15 feet with the does and small bucks, but ive been busted 3 times this year by trophy bucks. they notice that blob. next year im going with climbers get a little higher. gl2u

I agree with treeclimber and I get way the heck up in a tree. I use a climber and I feel super safe up there, especially with the harness on all the time. I basically try to climb to where I have a good backdrop for myself. I think alot of times people get busted is because the are too siloueted (sp?) against the sky. I've learned that lesson a few too many times.

What kind of trees you guys got. we are lucky to get up 15 ft, and that takes alot of looking. i like to be high to, was busted by an 8 pointer at bout 15ft up. he was walking my way, just stopped to look around and then just looked up like he knew i was there.

I have a climber too, home made anyways. The tree's I climb are usually between 12"-17" at the base at knee height. Any tree that is almost straight with small branches or little to none is good.

I think people get too hung up (pun) on the height of their stand. What has been mentioned a couple of times is your cover. I totally agree, the bush is their back yard and one day there is a no blob in that tree and the next there is a blob. It doesn't take a mature deer long to realize things are not quite right. I will agree the higher U go the more your scent will be sent away from your immediate stand, unless you have down drafts etc. I would sugguest do not jepordize your stand site by trying and being a monkey up in the tree tops when all you need is a 15 or 12 ft height to cover your movement etc, but if you have to get up in the 20 feet area so be it. Use what cover your have, as I believe there is NO set height and your area will dictate what height you will need.

Make sure you practice from elevated heights as mentioned if you are up in the tree tops a 10 yd slam dunk isn't a slam dunk if you havn't practiced from the tree tops.