• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

to much corn

peerchking

I hunt in central mn. And last night I drove buy the land I hunt,And there is way too much corn in the feilds.It does not look good for the home team! i went around the section and only seen one combine picking,hopefully they get out in the next two days, And get her done! other wise I think its going to be a long weekend

The fields are pretty wet. A lot of farmers will probably wait until the ground freezes now. Stuck combines suck, LOL. With the price of propane for corn drying being high, many guys are in no big hurry to get it out.

If you muzzleload, it might be a good season for that with the late corn harvest.

There are still beans in fields. I have never seen beans in this late before.

I wouldn't doubt there would be a special late season hunt this year. With all the crops up, I gotta believe the harvest will come up short. There is just too many acres of crops still standing that is gonna provide hiding areas.

I cant speak for the rest of you but I like when the corn is up. I have gotten all my deer when the corn is up. And have no deer hanging when the corn is down. They have always moved out of the woods in the morning or into the woods in the evening. I only hunt early morning and late evening when the corn is up.

If you are hunting unpressured deer you can catch them on the edges near sunrise and angain near sunset, if you can find the travel routes. On the other hand corn can be your enemy if the deer are pressured, they will just hole up there all season long. Has anyone ever tried to still hunt the standing corn patches, I havn't but heard it can be very productive durring the midday, as long as there is a wind to mask your sound.

corn can be anyones enemy, corn the you can hunt is good and the stuff you cant, it seems that the deer move all day in the corn and i like to just walk slow, in the areas that arent to think but not to thin. they seem to lay in those areas and if you get close to them they just stand up before the bust out running. shot a few and missed a few, but its fun.

Hunting the corn is one of my favorite things to do. If you have a choice, try to find a field that has rows planted 36" apart. Most modern planters now plant rows at 30" and some of the newer ones are down to 22". The wider rows make it much easier to see down a ways. Heres the deal: don't try to hunt a whole 80 acre field, just pick one end or edge and try to do a good job on that portion.

Start on the downwind end of the field and lean thru the row and look both ways if no deer take one step into the next row and repeat, and repeat , and repeat...you get the idea. You will find you can do a much better job if you use your binox to check out those suspicious looking weed clumps etc. When you've crossed a hundred rows or so walk up 40 or 50 steps and cross back the other way.

When you do spot a deer estimate its distance and step back 4 or 5 rows then sneak up to a reasonable shooting distance, cross those 4 or 5 rows and shoot. You will have better luck just leaning in to the row the deer is bedded in than stepping thru with your whole body when its time to shoot.

I've shot several deer this way and seen many others. Its really easy to get within 5 or 10 yards of bedded deer because they have probably never been disturbed by a human in a standing corn field.

One quick story; my brother was sneaking like this thru a field once when a big, dominant 10 pointer came running through only one row away. He tried to swing his shotgun around but had to take a step backward because of the length of his 30" barrel. When he stepped back thru the row he tripped on the stalks and fell. The buck ran past at a distance of 3 feet and my brother never even got a shot! We only found out how huge the buck was because the neighbors just happened to be driving past the field when the buck flew out of the field, up the ditch and across the road causing the driver to slam on his brakes to avoid the collision! That was almost 20 years and he still hears about it every deer season.

Polar Bear

Western MN same thing ... usually fill out by noon on Sat. Saw one small buck head in the corn 300 yds away. Had a slug zing over my head a couple feet up on Sun morn. Heard slugs fly before, but this one was so close it made a buzzing noise and vibrated the air. Packed up and thanked the Lord after that. Be safe folks

Going on what Polar Bear said....

It works REALLY well if it is very windy. The deer cant hear you comming against the wind blowing through the corn.

Good luck!

In ND most of the farmers are "zeroing out" the corn to claim for insurance. It doesn't look that bad, but apparently they make more by claiming it vs. harvesting.. Anyway, that is the reason most is still standing in ND and a lot of the big bucks will be hard to find until that comes down... No problem pushing out the does and small bucks, but the big bucks are pretty safe with thousands of acres of corn to hide in... They were just starting to knock some of the corn down on Saturday up there, so hopefully much of that will be off this week...