• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wool clothing

SCCO9803

I'm just wondering how many of you use wool clothing for cold weather hunting? I'm big on wool as it time tested, quiet and keeps you warm no matter what condition it is. Please give me your experiences with wool clothing and your opinions on advantages and disadvantages of wool.

I have a pair of army surplus wool pants that I'll wear( with polypropelene sp?) under my insulated bibs when the temp drops and I'm going to be on the stand for a while. I just wash in cold water and hang to dry. I've had them for close to 12 years now.

I don't wear them too often without an extra layer over them because they will pick up burrs like a super magnet!!

I'm a big wool fan too. All three of us (my bro, dad, and myself) have the heavy wool pants from Bemidji Woolen Mills and I have about a half dozen or so wool shirts. I'm always asking for more at Christmas time! You can wash them! Like the previous post, I wash my woolens in cold water with the no-scent detergent on the most gentle cycle the washing machine has. Then I air (hang) dry them. Haven't had a problem yet.

The only disadvantages to wool that I can think of is some types of wool don't stop the wind real well, some types of wool hold burrs a bit, and wool usually isn't waterproof although it still insulates when wet.

I wear it deer hunting when it gets cold.

Yeah, I used to wear a pair of Carhart's that kept me warm if it was above 40, then I bought a pair of columbia wool bibs and they are awesome.......yes they do pick up a lot of burs, but that gives you something to do when sitting the tree stand.... My problem has always been cold feet. I have a hard time finding wool socks to fit my big ol' feet too....I tried polypropelen long under wear last year and I didn't like them.....after one day, I was ready to burn them.....I do have a pair of polar fleece pants that I wear under nylon wind pants under the woolbibs. Last year I took my coat off on the stand I was that warm. It is all about layers and wool is the best

Smartwool makes socks big enough for your feet, unless you are over a size 16. They also make long underwear out of wool that won't itch, same as their socks. The best thing about this stuff is that you can wash and dry it. They are the only socks I wear anymore.