• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Camp Rituals

Our camp rituals have changed over the years from the time I started going up north as a teenager in the early 80's. We used to set up a big army surplus type tent in the middle of camp complete with a wood stove. That was the social center of our camp and I still miss it. We had everybodys name written on the inside of the tent and each years highlights such as big deer taken or stupid things done. We have always put in money for the first, biggest, and most deer taken (party hunt). I had one year that I won the whole pot! Which is a rarity. We also used to take a ceremonial swig of schnaaps at the evening after the first deer was taken. We also started keeping a journal of our daily adventures, successes, and failures. We started this sometime in the 80's. It's kind of fun reading some of the old ones. In the 80's everybody played cards usually Uker(spelling?). Our group has always indulged in beverages but only when the hunting is done for the day.

Since 93 we have a 40 acre piece with two hunting shacks on it that is about 2 miles from the spot where we used to pitch the tent. The crew has changed over the years as has some of our traditions. One of the shacks has replaced the tent as our "social center". We still put money in the pot and write in the journal. Some of the crew has passed on, but there are always new ones that come along. We still play cards, but not as much as in the past. My favorite part is sharing what happened to me with the camp, and hearing what everybody else saw, did, etc when I return at the end of the day. We all stand, or still hunt because drives are kind of pointless in the area that we hunt. It means more to me when I take a deer that way anyway than having someone "push" a deer to me on a drive. I could go on but I won't. I just LOVE it!! Good hunting guys and good luck!

~piker

Hey Ironranger, I too am so sorry for the loss of your father. I am not looking forward to the day I go out on my first opener without my father. Dad is 73 now, and we have hunted together for 26 years. Dad was blessed with 3 daughters and I am the only one that hunts, so when dad goes I will be on my own, looking for some other hunter to enjoy the woods with. I have been trying to find a reasonably priced ATV so that I can keep dad hunting for as long as he wants and not have to drag the deer out the old fashioned way. Dad had triple bypass surgery 3 years ago, and I am 42 now, so it gets tougher every year. I hope you will keep the memories of your father with you in the field and elsewhere, there is no better way to honor his memory than to savor all the two of you shared and learned together.

Oh, and if there are any small groups of hunters in the bemidji area who wouldn't mind a female member joining in the future, please let me know. Thanks.

Ok everybody, make good shots, be kind to others who share the woods, and swap stories after getting your deer! And leave the woods clean please!

Iron Ranger Deer Hunting is about remembering guys like your dad! I can't wait to bring my boy (1 1/2) to camp so he can start to enjoy his his own memories! Deer hunting is a time for families to come together and remember past hunts and share memories...I'm Irish so whiskey is our toast. Toast your old man and his hunts and look back on your memories with pride cause that is why we hunt!

Thats great bigbucks! Your group sounds really fun! Maybe we'll stop drinking and enjoying ourselves so we can all act mature like your group. I'd rather slam my Dick in the door! Hunting isn't about the kill!!!!

Ironranger, I second Buckslayerbobs words, sorry for your loss, enjoy the memories with your Dad toast him and have a good hunt for him. Bob's Dad is my 1st cousin but more like my brother, I have a heavy heart thinking of him not being with us, and really can't get excited about Deer camp this year. He starts chemo this week and Bob's Mom asked if I would drive him for his treatments, and I will gladly, to get him well for next year. Maybe Ill make it with the group a couple days just for his Boys and My cousin. frown.gif

D-Rock, don't worry I'm pretty sure we wouldn't enjoy your version of hunting either. I wasn't slamming your version, just saying ours is different.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you that hunting isn't about killing. I would definitely agree that's not the only part of it, but it is a big part of it, hunting started out of necessity as a means to get meat. I'm pretty sure if someone was at home hungry waiting for you to return with some meat, a hunt without killing wouldn't have been considered very successful. Now certainly I realize things have changed & hopefully none of us will go hungry if we don't shoot a deer. The comaradarie & telling stories about other hunters & friends who have passed on is also a big part of it, as is teaching young hunters, etc., but if there's no killing involved, why buy a license & take weapons with? Take a camera, shoot pics, that's photography or nature watching, it's not hunting.

If all you're going to use it for is another excuse to party, why wait for season & spend all the money on hunting equip? Partying in control as long as you're not driving drunk or destroying other people's property only requires you be 21 & it has no season. It's not illegal.

As far as your self inflicted anatomy related comments, sounds like a personal problem to me. I guarantee our party has a great time & spends most of the season laughing & joking with each other. We look forward to it all year & talk about it most of the rest of the year. We don't need alcohol to accomplish that. I know many other groups of hunters just like that, as I know plenty that enjoy it in some form or another similar to yours. I'm sorry you felt the need to justify your way, by slamming our way.

Ironranger, sorry about your lose. Deer camp for you will be different and hard. An new era, new camp cook and one fallen comrade.

My ritual has changed over the years as well. Starting in the late 70's I was the young pup, 14. (We have always hunted NE of Bemidji.) My Dad was next closest in age at mid 50's, Then my Uncle at 68 and some of his friends in there 70's. Through the years I have seen them all pass on with the exception of my Father but he "retired" from camp last year at 77. He said it didn't bother him to miss last years opener of -14 degrees. Some hunters have come and gone.

This year is the first for my oldest son. We will be hunting with a friend who joined the camp 12 years ago. He will be bringing his 12 year old as well. A new generation to regale with the tales of the old crew and start new adventures. Bemidji is the opening weekend tradition for me. Get there on Friday and hunt till mid Monday. Then I head over to Buyck area on the west end of the Echo trail east of Orr. This is where all my hometown buddies go. I hunt over there the rest of the week. Last year we did real well at 17 for 22, with two real nice bucks.

Great times and memories at both camps. Bemidji camp has been all hunt and Buyck camp is more hunting, cards, and comradery.

P.S. Ironranger - "You've got mail" Sorry it took so long.

P.S.S. To all: Shoot straight and be safe.

Wooly1, you sound like you are from my hunting party!

"Shoot Straight, Be Safe" is our parting phrase as we leave each other in the woods or at the truck.

Definatly good advise!