• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did you do?

How did everyone do this weekend bowhunting? I myself didn't get to release. I was either going to take a doe or a nice buck. I didn't see any bucks and I passed on a doe. It was a young doe and followed by a fawn with spots and I didn't have the heart to take her. There's plenty more out there. I did have a small hawk dive in at me twice during the weekend, it must have been looking at my eyes.

Made it out Sat night and Sun morning. Sat night saw one small buck in the distance. Sunday morning had a party of three bucks parade past me at 50 yards. The first was a spike, the second a fork horn with only one upright horn, the other was pointed off to the side, the third was a nice eight point, a shooter if they'd have been closer. Tried grunting them in, but all they did was stopped and looked. Always fun to see those buck groups! Nice morning to be out, wood ducks flying by, beautiful sunrise, geese flying, had a rooster clucking away pretty close by. Also saw a big buck - a wall hanger - about 1/2 mile away thru my binocs.

Nice start to the season!

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 09-15-2003).]

I didnt get to release an arrow either. The only deer I had in range was a nice buck (nose to ground 20 yards away) BUT I didnt have my bow in my hands .. I moved to a nearby field with binoc's to see where the deer were moving for the following days hunt... sure enough, I walked to the field access (between tree's) and there it was right in front.

I made it to the field yesterday and they came out in a different location. I had 2 bucks, 2 does, and 3 fawns running around and playing 50-100 yards from me for the last hour of light.

I hunted some state land down south in
the bluff country. How's that song go....
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the middle.....

Saturday Morning = No action, played games
with all the little squirrels and tweety birds.

Saturday Night = Rained pretty good,had
a guy and his kid come by the stand. No
big deal.

Sunday Morning = Was out especially early
and expected some activity come daylight.
It came in the way of a steady barrage
of small arms fire. At first, I smiled at
how bad a shot this clown was, but that smile soon turned into a grimace, as the shots kept coming!! I stopped counting
after 25, and finally got down and took
my stand down. frown.gif Walking back to my truck,
I find the same guy and kid doing target
practice!!! SOME PEOPLE DON"T HAVE A CLUE!!!
These were the same two from the night
before. DUH, gee that guy won't care if
we shoot up a brick of twenty-two shells
YA THINK!!!!!! frown.giffrown.gif

FYI They were about 100 yards from my stand.

[This message has been edited by TUMBLEWEED (edited 09-15-2003).]

Group of nine does and fawns moved on the other edge of the line of trees I was sitting in on Saturday evening. About 50 yards. Would have been an easy rifle shot but way too far and too thick for the bow. I was really nice to see a group that big walking and playing around. They had no idea that I was there. Was sure they would swing my way on Sunday, but no luck. Big racoon and two squirrels were my only visitors. Can't wait for Wed. afternoon. Next change to get out.

Saturday morning got out to some public land that I've scouted for a couple of months now. Last tuesday I went out for final prep stuff. I usually used the twist tie illumination stuff but I rang out making a route to my buddies stand. So I used fluorescent tape and one twist tie near the tree for my stand site. When I got to my site I noticed that I didn't have any trail makers up. But by dumb luck and somewhat knowledge of the area, I found the one twist tie. So I got set up, and next thing I know about 1/2hrs later someone sets up about 75yrds from me. I'm figuring that's probably whom removed my markers but who knows. I did see one small doe, cute little thing about 60lbs max. Was hoping it's big mother or father might come by, but thats hunting. So it was good to get out, but sucked that I had to wander around in the dark for 30mins to find my tree. I tell ya some people. Now I'm even more determine to hunt that spot.

Hopefully nobody here will have to experience that.

Good luck to all

Hunted around my Cabin south of Longville with a buddy in my second stand.

We saw lots of Does and Fawns all day, in fact, they were so active all day it was impossible to get to our stands without alarming them!

Didn't get an opportunity to release, but had a great time.

------------------
Chells

If the animal rights people would ever read these posts they'd realize that to us, hunting is more than just harvesting an animal. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that measures success by the number of animals seen, not taken. Good hunting.

------------------
Erik

I was out this weekend, saw a few deer up on our private land I hunt. I decided sunday evening to go way back by a huge temerack swamp to hunt to see If I could find some buck. By the time I hauled my climber stand and bow back there I was sweating so bad and I new that the deer would be able to catch my sent, so I put on some buck urine to just
try and cover my sent. I usually dont use this untill it closer to rut but anyway I had a nice 8 point buck come up to 15 yard and he caught a wiff of the urine and started wresting a little tree in some brush
he would back up and just charge the poor little tree. I never could get a shot because he was behind some brush but it was sure fun to watch. I also saw a doe with two fawns and the fawns still has spots. They were on the train in my shooting lane at 10 yard! they sure were fun to watch!

Was out last nite with my buddy on state land. We were surrounded on three sides by low land swampy areas, and the other side by grasslands. On the east side of the swamp was a bean field. Sitting about 55 yards apart, we saw several small bucks and does. Then out of nowhere, I see a deer move, put the binoculars on it and all I can see are antlers moving through the brush. I draw back and only have a little shooting lane, and the big boy doesn't stop so I let down.

Here's the kicker. The buck is between my buddy and I, and he drew back on it as well. Within seconds of me letting off, the deer takes off running. My buddy had a perfect shot right through the vitals at 25 yards. A gorgeous typical 10 pointer with an inside rack of about 20" I have never seen a deer that size while out hunting. A definite trophy to go on the wall. One heck of a night. So I guess if you work hard enough, you really can find monster bucks on state land!

Hossienda

Saw a small 6 pointer, came right in to my window and ambled around for 3+ min. Decided not to take him though. Early season, small deer, camp ripley right around the corner. Want to take a nice doe. Could use some meat in the freezer. Nothing the rest of the weekend. Does anyone know what kind of food they are keying in on? I hunting beans and corn so far, but not many deer. Good luck out there.

Hey simplefish, dont know where youre located but in NW MN the acorns are droppin, heavy and huge. My mothers yard is so full had to send my kids over to rake her yard ya could'nt walk around barefoot. I have'nt been out yet "curse me" but this weekend I'm heading for the oaks. Later, Boar