• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hare hunting opportunity

tacklejunkie

I was invited to join some folks for a hare hunting experience behind beagles this winter. I’m not much of a hunter except grouse only but I’m thinking of accepting their offer. I used to hunt snowshoe hares with a 22 rimfire as a teen. Right now I just have a 20 gauge for small game hunting would that be OK in that situation or should I go buy a 22?  

Has anybody done this and what did you think of it? 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

A 20 gauge will be fine.  The rabbit will be moving a fair amount of the time being chased by beagles.

Chased rabbits tend to go in a large circle....weaving of course. Beagles always letting you know where the rabbit is as they chase.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I use to hunt Snowshoes a lot with a .22 and scope but they seemed to have declined over the years with the raise of so may predators and the decline of fir sales.  Thanks PETA! ?

I don’t see as many as I did during around the late 70s early 80s. But there still out there

A few years ago, I strapped on my snowshoes and decide to go for a nice walk in the winter woods one warm February day and towards the evening I started seeing a few

On 1/16/2020 at 8:46 PM, Duffman said:

Good luck!!

And enjoy the experience.

Thanks. I’m not a big hunter but I have to admit my predatory instincts must be surfacing because I’m actually looking forward to it.

Looks like a mild weekend next weekend to boot

Saw a few hares. Got none. Fast little buggers when chased by dogs. But it was an enjoyable way to spend a mild winter day outdoors. Hopefully, an invitation will come for next year. Next weekend the Mrs and I are invited for a hare dinner

Way different way to hunt them than as a youth plinking sitting hares with a .22. Does anybody snare them, anymore?

I’ve never hunted rabbits with dogs but it’s always been one of those things I always thought would be a blast. My dad has told me plenty of stories about hunting them with dogs down south when he was young. I’ve shot a few but they were always shot when I was younger and sneaking through the woods squirrel hunting. 

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
53 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

The hare was good. I wish I was a better shot and contributed at least one rabbit to the meal. Not like wingshooting a flushing grouse

Nothing like a straight line running rabbit that darts at sharp angles everytime you take a shot. ??