• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Problem

birdswacker

I’ve got a sow and 2 cubs hanging out in my hunting spot. Last night my son was in his stand and  the sow and 2 cubs came out at  60 yds  then cam to within 30 yds and it was getting dark he started making noise to shoe them away but the sow would just come closer to see what the noise was. I ended up taking the 4 wheeler out to get him and even then apparently the didn’t leave til I was within 40-50 yds. I’ve never had to deal with bears before as typically we don’t have them in our just outside the NE metro area.  I’m concerned about walking to or from our stands and getting caught between the sow and cubs. How can I get them to move  out of the area?

Interesting situation.  I’m no bear expert but I’d have to believe the food is right or she’s got a den going nearby.  If it’s a den, you might have an uphill battle there.  She could find other food if she gets spooked off enough.  Just ideas.

For safety, get a couple pocket air horns for you and your son.  They’re the best bear deterrent I’ve ever used or seen used.  Sounding the horn hurts their ears and will send them away when all else fails.  This was proven on Kodiak bears.

If they don’t leave the area after getting blasted once, thy’ll At least learn to associate the pain when encountering you and likely move off before you even know it.

Or, hunt a different area yourself?  

No quota tag area?

It is a no quota zone but I can’t  justify shooting her these cubs are really small there’s no way they’d make it without her

i believe there could be a den close by the first pictures I got on camera were mid April and the cubs were the size of a chihauha now there about the size of a boxer

ill check into the air horn idea  

6 minutes ago, birdswacker said:

It is a no quota zone but I can’t  justify shooting her these cubs are really small there’s no way they’d make it without her

i believe there could be a den close by the first pictures I got on camera were mid April and the cubs were the size of a chihauha now there about the size of a boxer

ill check into the air horn idea  

Small cubs are what I pictured in my mind when I read your post.  Makes sense.

I haven’t researched the air horn idea - I experienced it first hand while drop camp fishing on Kodiak Island with actual bears. They weren’t phased by anything we did to deter approach including firing 12 gauge rounds over their head.  One blast stopped them and they would shake their head.  The second blast sent them back the way they came from.

@birdswacker I was curious enough to see if there was info on the web about air horns for bears.  Sure enough there’s chatter about it.  People that have used them on bears (brown and black), coyotes, wolves and dogs swear by it.  Those who doubt it in favor of more conventional tactics haven’t tried it.  I found it interesting but not surprising at all.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@birdswacker I was curious enough to see if there was info on the web about air horns for bears.  Sure enough there’s chatter about it.  People that have used them on bears (brown and black), coyotes, wolves and dogs swear by it.  Those who doubt it in favor of more conventional tactics haven’t tried it.  I found it interesting but not surprising at all.

Good luck.

I woke up at about 3am in a campsite in Yosemite to the sound of air horns and pots and pans banging together, rangers trying to scare a bear away.

two days later I woke up to the same thing, plus 2 shotgun blasts.  Ranger told me they bean bagged the bear.