• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garlic Enhanced Spinners

minky

Has anyone had any experience with garlic enhanced spinners? I am considering purchasing a few Panther Martian stinky garlic spinners. When using these spinners did your catch go up? Better size fish? Any color better then others?

Garlic has been used to scent baits since the 80’s or 90’s but it’s pretty much been in the realm of soft plastics.  Chompers was the first that I tried.  Couldn’t tell ya if it really did any better or not since there wasn’t a non-garlic version of the exact same baits available.

Which really brings me to my point: It’ll probably work best at catching fishermen.  

The garlic could cover up other negative odors you might get on your baits but I really believe hard baits live or die on their own merits of action and flash.  The funny thing is, Panther Martins have never needed extra help in catching fish!  They’ve always been phenomenal pike and trout baits.  I think they’re just trying to put a new spin on an old bait to pique the interest of new anglers.

If you don’t already have some, get some anyway - you’ll love em.  Just make sure you have a good swivel in front of em.  They are line twisters.  Yellow with red dots and gold blade my favorite but other colors can beat that from time to time, depending on where you are.

The thing I would be curious about is how long they hold the garlic scent?

Would it just be a regular Panther Martin after a couple hours of casting?

Not that there is anything wrong with that as Wanderer alluded to.

Reading up on the spinners, it sounds like the scent would last one season of average use. The price for the stinky six (SG6 kit) is $19.99 + $6.95 SH. I don't think this is to much more then what 6 regular spinners would cost.