• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Handheld Gps

Tom7227

3 hours ago, BobT said:

Personally, I still use my Garmin GPSMap78sc. I have it loaded with Upper Midwest Fishing Info and a Minnesota Topo product and love it. I use it for hunting, ATV riding, and fishing. I'll use it until it won't work anymore. 

BobT I remember when you got yours.  I use the Basecamp software and was hoping I could update it.  The backlight doesn't work and so it is hard to use.  Maybe I need to check and see if there is a way to get it to work.

Edited by Tom7227

13 hours ago, Macgyver55 said:

The back light doesn't work at all, or you can't get it to stay on? 

Here is what the manual says to adjust settings.

IMG_4308.PNG

Thanks for the tip.  Ends up the batteries were too low to allow the backlight to work.  I have been using it plugged in in the truck and so I never thought about the batteries.

21 hours ago, Tom7227 said:

Anyone have any info on how well the phone works as a GPS device?

I use my Samsung phone and google maps for GPS navigation every single day in my business and it rarely leads me astray. I also use the same phone and the Navionics app for ice fishing and it seems to be quite accurate. I believe my phone works just as good or better than either of the two older GPS units I have owned.

If you are happy with the function of a flip phone though, I can certainly see why you would rather have a handheld GPS unit.

21 hours ago, Tom7227 said:

BobT I remember when you got yours.  I use the Basecamp software and was hoping I could update it.  The backlight doesn't work and so it is hard to use.  Maybe I need to check and see if there is a way to get it to work.

Tom, just got a Cabelas ad today and they have the Garmin GPSMAP 64st on sale right now for $199.99 Reg $349.99.  And a few others. 

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Big Dave2 said:

How about some valuable information regarding handheld GPS units from you then?

Relax I was just joking around Big Dave and Del. :D

I use my lowrance 522c when fishing hard or soft water.

Edited by chaffmj