• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobiles

skipparoo

1 hour ago, skipparoo said:

I am in search of a new ice fishing sled and would like at least a 600 ......does anyone have any thoughts as to what would be a good sled for a Minnesota ice fisherman?

Now is the time to buy.

What are you going to do with it?  Pull ice house or porty? Early and late low to no snow fishing? Trail ride some? 

Id recommend a crossover type sled. Why? Well ice fishing can be done on bare ice or in 2-3ft of snow a deep lug track isn't necessary but a short track 1inch lug isn't going to do it. Not sure what you like but I'm a Polaris and a little arctic cat guy as far as Polaris an indy voyager 600 with a 2 inch lug track would be a good pick its liquid cooled so it would be good in deep snow areas. My brother has a 550 indy adventure (fan) its been solid its a great on trail sled but will tackle a few feet of snow with the 144" by 1.35 cobra track. As far as Arctic cat the bear cat is going to be the best fan also and most serious guys looking for a fishing sled this is what they run. Hope this helps with your decision.

An experienced rider will get through the bad slush with what he has available.  If I had to choose what to ride in that it be 136" track.   Most the modern sleds will have the suspension as to not be an azz dragger to start then add the tunnel loaded up with slush.  You need the clearance and track to get out of the slop. 

Since your looking for a fishing sled a 2up is a must. Why because your going to be hauling a buddy out.

I didn't mention size engine yet for good reason.  It doesn't matter and size isn't going to make up for lack of skilz.   In fact the more HP means you'll dig your grave sooner and the higher the performance means less forgiving in up keep.   If your new sled doesn't have a rack, get one. Then get a Digger Auger Carrier.   If your new to you sled hasn't been maintained then get it maintained.

1st thing is get your carbs cleaned, that is the 1 one reason for melt downs.  At that time have the carbs boots checked.  More then likely if the sled is more then a few years old the boots are cracked and that leaks air and causes a lean condition and a melt down will soon follow.   Eventually you'll want the service manual.  Find all the grease fitting and hit them all in the Spring before you put the sled away.

How much are you looking to spend? Are you going to be using the sled for any sort of trail riding,  or strictly fishing? If you are on a budget, I would like at getting an fan-cooled sled that is designed to run without cooling from the snow. This is particularly important for early and late ice. As mentioned, 136" tracks are nice and will give you a bit of room to build a carrying rack if you decide not to go 2-up

I forgot to mention my setup. I run a 96 Polaris XLT touring ( 2 up) have had it for 2 years and it’s been great. I know people knock down triples but its a great sled for fishing. Few weeks ago we had two full size guys towing a fully loaded two man in about foot of drifted snow and it did great has the 136”x 1” lug track and it’s golden reverse, electric start. Hopefully who ever asked the question in the first place is legit a lot of good stuff here.

25 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

I thought about buying one of the older Cat 4 strokes at one time for fishing. Not a lot of HP but had 2up and a rack on back and pretty reliable. 

Four-strokes are nice for reliability, longevity, and gas mileage... but are substantially heavier than the 2 strokes... especially the older models.

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

We all seem to be asking the same questions and giving good advice.  Starting to wonder if Bot? or just skipparoo-ed? ;)

I thought the same thing, but conversation seems to be a bit slow around here this week, so we might as well feed the trolls :)