• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Snowbound

Frost build up around entry door

Anyone with Ice Castle fish house have issue with frost building up around the entry door?

It eventually melts and prevents the door from closing properly.

It’s because the insulation in new fish houses is so tight that it’s the only place that your furnace can get fresh air is through the lock and around the door. If you crack a window, or put a small vent underneath or buy your furnace, you relieve about 90 percent of that problem.  I know that the fresh air/exhaust pipe on your furnace is supposed to take care of this, but they still seem to need more fresh air. This was pretty much an unheard of problem before spray foam or house wrap started being put on houses. Foam is a great idea, house wrap not so much.

Edited by Hawg

4 hours ago, Hawg said:

It’s because the insulation in new fish houses is so tight that it’s the only place that your furnace can get fresh air is through the lock and around the door. If you crack a window, or put a small vent underneath or buy your furnace, you relieve about 90 percent of that problem.  I know that the fresh air/exhaust pipe on your furnace is supposed to take care of this, but they still seem to need more fresh air. This was pretty much an unheard of problem before spray foam or house wrap started being put on houses. Foam is a great idea, house wrap not so much.

Wouldn't there be a "vented" heater in an Ice Castle? I would think some weather stripping would solve the problem. There must be a gap that's not totally sealed up. The front door on my house did this when I moved in 24 years ago on really cold days but after installing some new weather stripping it never happened again.