• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual FM Pheasant Hunt

It looks like Oct. 2nd is the day. I will change the 1st post to this date.

Mistermom, bdr, mayfly, and anyone else give me a call towards the end of August so we can start getting the dogs back in shape up at the farm. 651-775-7670 (Pat)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will call Rick and make sure our group gets booked for October 2nd. I will let him know we are planning on having enough hunters to secure the farm for the day. We can always scale back to only half the farm if we fall short of our 20 hunter /100 bird goal. I'm sure he will be flexible as long as we call and confirm the final hunter/bird count three to four weeks before the scheduled event.

As of today I am almost 100% sure that opener of duck season will be the 25th.
So I see no problem with being able to make it on the 2nd of October.

I just got the pup back yesterday from Elk River Kennels, she is still dropping the birds before she gets to me though.

The trainer said it will take lots of repatiotion and a season of hunting to get her to realize it is fun not a chore.
She has an exelent nose for birds so she should do fine in flushing them up.

Can't wait to see her work those birds, and to see her with her first true downed duck retrive in the wild.

I will be there for sure.

Benny

Was up at the farm this weekend with Spinach just to take a look around. Wow...the under growth is really thick. The L-field was walkable and okay for training. But every where else is extremely overgrown. Rick has the FM group booked for Oct 2nd. Everything is good to go...all we need is for more folks to sign-up. Last I checked we were at 12 hunters/41 birds. Our goal is 20 hunters/100 birds. I'm confident we will reach our goal.

Wer'e up to 17 hunters, 13 dogs and 77 pheasants.

Please let me know who will be eating lunch so I know how much food to bring.....

Also, a quick reminder of the deposit checks due by 9-01-04

Thanks everyone.....

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 09-17-2004).]

Count me in for one dog (one crabby little setter) and 4 birds. I may have another guy with a dog also. I'll try and nail it down here within a few weeks. If we are looking short of our goal as far as birds go you can count me in for a few more.

Hey Guys - I'm out...torn ACL, torn MCL and damaged Medial Meniscous. Stupid, stupid, stupid me...I had no business playing basketball. It is going to require surgery. I'm trying to get the procedure done as quickly as I can so my rehab time might be complete enough to get back out in the field by next spring. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. Anyone else go through this? How long did it take to recover? I feel bad for my pup...I was hoping to get him on a lot of birds this year. Maybe I could show up and Spinach, Setterguy or BDR could volunteer to take Buddy out and work him for me. Any thoughts?

If you were in the NFL you would be back in 2 weeks and listed as probable for next week.

I am sorry to hear that you will miss the event, let alone possibly miss the entire seasons of pheasant, waterfowl deer and golf.

I will volunteer to play twice as much golf and hunt twice as much to make up for you missing out. grin.gif

I'm sure you be able to get out for some fall eye fishing on the big pond.

I was thinking Me and my Brother Jeremy could help you with Buddy so he doesnt lose out too. After all the hard work Buddy does hunt good with Macey.

I will not be bringing a guest. It will be just me and Luci. I saw on an earlier post that you had me down for a guest. I'll take six pheasants all together though. Maybe three in the morning and three in the afternoon. I'm also in for lunch. If I can help or bring anything let me know. Tim 612-414-7952

[This message has been edited by Mayfly (edited 08-06-2004).]

Sorry to hear about your misfortune WW. Makes me scared to get out on the court. Its been a while.

Put me down for 6 instead of 4 pheasants please.

gspman maybe I can volunteer my wife to watch your little hummers. I'll check with her. We often have lots of little kids running around and it would be no problem. Let me know. Maybe we can work something out.

mm

I'm jealous. This sounds like it'll be an absolute riot and unfortunately I'm not likely to be able to participate. The missus is out of town on Oct. 2 so I'm trying to line up a sitter but it doesn't look good. I will definitely sign up if a sitter is procured. Have fun and be safe.
gspman

My surgery is scheduled for September 14th...don't think two weeks will give me enough time to get out in the field to participate in the hunt...but I will be there...even if I'm in a full body cast laying in the back bed of Spinach's truck.

Esoxman - how long did it take to get back on your feet? When you say your knee is still not 100% what do you mean...pain, range of motion, stiffness? What exactly did they do and how old are you. My ACL is gone, the Medial Meniscous has a tear and the MCL is torn. It happened two weeks ago and I am doing fine now. The knee is stiff but I am not in any pain. I am doing stretching and strength exercises everyday to get prepared for the post-op rehab. Would you have done the surgery knowing what you know now?

Kpj5br - I'm sure someone in the group would be happy to have you join in the fun...especially if you are generous enough to buy some extra birds for the group.

Well they did acl thermal shrinkage, also tried to fix a tracking problem, removed cartalage, and smothed out my knee cap. I was on crutches for about a month. I still have the tracking prob, and there is still alot of stiffness. I am 29. yes i would still have it done. i just have different pains now. but havent had it cause me to go down yet. The doc said i have the knee of a 60 year old. so i got that going for me. smile.gif

------------------
Why did'nt Noah swat those two mosquitos?

Gary

[This message has been edited by esoxmn (edited 08-19-2004).]

Wild Willie,

I had my acl replaced a couple years ago now. I had it done in aprill an I was canoeing in the BWCA at the end of May. All I can say is do your exercise they give you, stretch it out, it will hurt but you have to do it. I was at the gym on an eliptical running machine two weeks after the procedure, 3 weeks out I was doing a little bit of jogging. I don't normally run just for fun but I need to strengthen the leg. If you keep up with the rehab and stretching you'll be fine, if you don't do the stretching you will take a long time to get back to "normal"

During my rehab I saw people that had the same surgury make little or no progress. I wanted to get back on my feet and get out in the field. work at it and you'll be fine.

Esoxmn and Flashman - thanks for your input. Sounds like Flashman's situation is not unlike mine. Your recovery sounds as I have it envisioned. I am going to work like heck to get up and out in the field by six weeks. My surgery is Sept 14th so that gets me and Buddy out chasing birds by the end of October or the first week of November.

Esoxmn...sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have the right attitude and who knows what advances will be made in the future regarding corrective and replacement knee surgery. Just got to keep a positive attitude and keep on going.

Wild Willie,

I did the ACL, MCL, Meniscus trifecta in college. I zigged whe I shoulda zagged. The surgery isn't too bad. I had the Vikings doctor do mine. I was walking pretty good in 4 weeks. It took me about a year to feel normal again. Tylenol 3 was a plus to the whole experience. Have the doctors size you up for a good athletic brace and you should be o.k. for hunting later in the fall.

KPJ5br, I will be there with my pointer and would definately pair up with you. I missed the last hunt but it sounded like a blast. I am signed up for 5 birds. This will be my pointers second hunting season I can hardly wait. Wild Willie or Spinach also sign me up for the lunch and let me know if there is anything I should bring. Adam

ATM, that's very nice of you, thanks.

I'm more than willing to buy extra birds.

What I'm thinking is I bring myself and guest, and buy 10 birds.

Anyone willing to pair up with my guest?

Thanks

Allright it seems we are getting close to making our goals.

We currently have 17 hunters, 13 dogs, 77 pheasants.

I would like to see around 5 to 8 more people sign up.

Anyways, I updated the list on page 1. Please verify this is correct. Also another reminder of anyone that would like to order lunch please respond.

So far the lunch list is only, Spinach, Wild Willie, Luke, Jeremy, Chris, benny and guest, ATM, kpj5br and guest,j rookie k, mayfly.
I also would like too see the deposit checks by 9-01-04.

Everyone that has not replied recently please confirm that you are still with us.

Lets all try and find a few more guests to join us.........

[This message has been edited by spinach (edited 09-17-2004).]