• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rub? Why?

I smoke pork shoulders pretty frequently for pulled pork.  Many times they are Hormel type with the 10-15% solution stuff it says on package.  Today I put one in and didn't put any rub on it.  Seems the rub just sits on the surface and I could have swore I read rub only permeates a little bit. 

What's the big whoop about putting rub on the surface of a 5 or 10 pound pork shoulder?  Especially if it has that salt solution already in it.

Well I know the sugar you would normally use in a rub helps get that nice bark on the outside of the pork shoulder so thats reason enough.

You are right that the flavor from the rub won't penetrate very much but once you pull it all apart and mix the meat together you are getting a bit of the outer meat/bark that has been flavored with the rub in each serving so the flavor still gets mix at that point.

ya know Dotch I thought of melding the other day when I was watching a horrible and pretentious cooking show.  The gal kept saying "paired with."  Drove me bonkers.  I'm sure that will make everyone use "paired with" on here and added it to my landfill walleyes but go ahead.  I don't want to hear paired with anymore!

Edited by leechlake

I think he's smokin' something, all right. Everyone knows ya rub ribs and pork. Even LL in his dream state knows that. He's just bored and stirrin' the half-full pot. See? I said half-full, not empty. That's for his smiley day he said he's havin'. Don't let his carefully contrived wordplay pull you into the abyss of whirling dreams, nudist camps, and wannabe sheep. It's a baaaad place. Wrong type of rubbing there.

did they let you drive home on these drugs your on or did you take them once you were safely home?

I'm going to be posting a photo of my rubless meat at around 7pm if your still awake.  It's going to be very tasty paired with some bbq sauce.

"Ribs and pork?"  I guess there are beef ribs so that could be considered correct.

Edited by leechlake

Always use a good rub and smear it with mustard before you put it on [all sides].  Here is another term.  Mustard is the "Glue" for the rub.  Like McGurk said,  injection is another factor, like injecting beef broth with garlic for example.  That rub gives you that nice bark which goes into the pulled pork and is treasured and often sampled prior to putting it into the pulled pork.  good luck.

I may go to smokers hell for this but I don't like the bark when it's in my sandwich.  A few chunks to taste are fine but other than that I could pass on the bark.

My normal routine is the yellow mustard and rub on a pork butt.  Figured I'd try it without this time and see what happens, thanks.

I hear ya no fish.  I should get credit though because I have acid reflux and pork is the thing that really triggers it the most.  The pork will just get stuck in my esophagus and it is extremely painful especially when you are new to it because you try to wash it down with water and that just makes it exponentially worse.  I have to make sure I take the medication the day I'm on a pork smoking project or I'm cooked so to speak.

2 minutes ago, leechlake said:

I hear ya no fish.  I should get credit though because I have acid reflux and pork is the thing that really triggers it the most.  The pork will just get stuck in my esophagus and it is extremely painful especially when you are new to it because you try to wash it down with water and that just makes it exponentially worse.  I have to make sure I take the medication the day I'm on a pork smoking project or I'm cooked so to speak.

Hint: CHEW meat first. 

6 minutes ago, leechlake said:

does that mean Smurf is rubbing your neighbor too?  I hope nobody gets jealous.

nope....not messin with rebs turf.............don't wanna get banned here!!!!!!:P beside I gotz my own harem!!!!!!!!!!