• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Elite 7HDI issue.

CigarGuy

Question

24 answers to this question

The power cord just provides power.  I can't think of how that would mess up the display.  My guess is a bad connection to the LCD panel, or a bad chip on the board.   You might check the warranty, which i think is two years, or contact lowrance and see if they will do anything if not still in warranty. 

Otherwise, I would live with it until it gets worse, if it were my unit.  

Cigar Dude - It looks to me like the screen is operating but the image is being lost or not displayed along the edge.  I do not recall if there is a vert/horz display adjustment or anything like that in the SetUp menus.  My first suggestion is to do a complete unit reset, RTFM.  Second suggestion is to take it into Cabela they can power it up and look it over and if needed do a new flash of the system software.  

Thanks guy's.  I tried a hard reset and it didn't help.  What does RTFM mean?  My reset was press and hold -/+ and power button till shows US map then release.  I don't recall Cabelas having a service dept.  Do they just do it in the electronics area? I bought it at Cabelas, so it would be nice if they could help me out.

Cabela in my area has always been willing to power up my units and help with problems.  Go to the counter where all the units are displayed.  They can help with Setup issues and software flashes.

Sounds good.  I'll give the Owatonna store a try.  Thanks

Update.  Never brought it to Cabella's...Called Lowrance they said it not a software issue, no updates, etc will correct.  Bottom line, I send it in, they don't even open the unit up-(messes up the waterproof seal).  Since it's out of warranty, they will give me a discount on a replacement unit $250.00.  So, I think I paid $500.00 or $600.00, used it for two summers and it's shot, will cost a min of $250.00 to replace-they will also reduce my cost on a upgrade.  I take it out of the boat when I leave the cabin and it's inside all winter long. I was going to replace my Lowrance 332 and 3300 on the dash with another Elite 7, but you bet it will be a cold day in he*l before I buy another Lowrance product.  That goes for my 2 hand held gps's.   I just bought a suncover, power cord and ice- ducer,  I don't want to spend the 250.00, but I don't think I have a choice, unless I sell the accessories........  I'm officially pi$$ed off!!! 

Given the price and stuff on the new units, I might take the 250 and buy a new unit.  Yours broke.  Or you can use it as is...

I have two of the things and we will see how they do. 

I also had a 332 and a 5 something that went belly up. 

5 hours ago, Cheers said:

Problem with taking the $ is then you are forced into buying another Lowrance product instead of getting divorced from Lowrance and there junk  

So you get a new lowrance for $250 or so out of pocket or spend 600 on a bird.    

That sucks.  I'm with you on always bringing my boat electronics in the house over the winter.  I would never think about using those LCD screens in the Winter weather as it seems like that would not be good for them.

Flasher in the winter is the best option.  Sorry you are up the creek.  I'd be pissed too.  

I had one take a dump after a few years and had to get a new one.  It was out of warranty, I wasn't too happy but I got a new Lowrance because I like em and am used to how they work.  The machine didn't suddenly turn into a piece of bleep bleep because I had a bad situation, I would have loved if they gave me half off of the new one, I didn't even ask since it was past the warranty date.  It's 1/4" and doesn't effect anything but your blood pressure (I agree it would bug me too but I'd adjust to it)

Either use the unit as is or take the money and buy a new one.  I'm suggesting this and would suggest it to my best fishing buddy I have.  It's not worth the heartache.

I'm going to bite the bullet and give them 250.00.  I have too much invested in accessories for my trolling motor and recently the ice fishing stuff to walk away or try to sell them.  Maybe, I'll get try it out on the ice this year.  I was going to try hard re-sets again yesterday and when I turned it on, the white area expanded and now half of the menu functions are cut off.  Two summers of use and it's shot!  I'm not going to go quietly, I will try again (being respectful) talking to Lowrance and see if they will come to the party a little better.

I hope you are successful.  It sounds like the display or one of its connectors is defective. 

I have my fingers crossed about the two elite 7 units I have.  

One thing is that there have been two generations of new features added to the elite series since the HDI so you get some extra stuff for your money.  Small consolation, I know. 

And you only need the unit and not the chip....

Edited by delcecchi

Cigar,  I completely understand the frustration.  Been there myself.  Frankly, right or wrong, I'd call up to Reeds in Walker and talk to one of their electronic guys or Jason and explain this as though you bought it from them.  Don't ask Reeds for anything but advise on how to proceed with Lowrance and what you've done so far.   If you can do it on a non Friday or Saturday they may have more time to help you than when they may be busier.

19 hours ago, delcecchi said:

So you get a new lowrance for $250 or so out of pocket or spend 600 on a bird.    

Get out of the fire and jump right back into the pot to get burned again  !

Hard game to win !

Talked to Cabelas and Reeds, looks like I'm s.o.l. on any help.  One last call next week to Lowrance to express my disappointment when them.  Reeds told me about a similar Garmin unit that looks very tempting for $399.00.  Something else to think about if I decide to sell all my Elite accessories.  Thanks for your thoughts!