• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Camp Grub

heck, bring your fish house in and have a ball!!!  If you can survive sitting on a frozen lake for a few nights you can figure out the deer hunting part.  You've already got what you need.

yea ya doofus................why didn't you think of that??????????:P:grin:

My wife made us cookies this year again and we usually have another with rice crispy bars.  We used to always have "Karen's" cake which was a 12x16 pan of super moist chocolate cake and 1/2" thick frosting.  Karen's husband was one of our original "old boys" who passed a couple of years ago so no cake.  I think I will have to suggest to some of the wive's to start that tradition back up again.  We are now the "old boys" although it doesn't feel like it.

Not that easy. 1 i could haul down the minimum maint. road if i hasent rained. but have absolutley no way to turn around a 20ft V house, plus it would get scratched to heck, it a half mile of tunnel trees, my truck has a hard time not getting scratched or stuck.2. south end of property is land lockedby neighboring owners. althou I do have permission to cross, I have to haul it across 1/4 mile of rotation crops, generaly chisled plowed. and if i got it there to out land , it would stick out like smurfs ham head on webol woble. so i go home.

Well guy's I'm heading out up north for deer camp.  Just north of Duluth in area 180.  Been hunting there since the 60's.  Many memories and more to come.  The deer grub is in the truck for the meals and some extra sausage and Canadian bacon for a couple of other camps there.  Looks like a milder opener than most but we will have cold nights so if we should get one they should be fine till next Tuesday when I come back home.  Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable time out there.  For me it's being there that's the deal.  See ya next week!! good luck.

Yup, best of luck!  Pulled the camera I have under my stand out of the woods last night.  Deer activity has dropped off in the last few weeks, I had more bucks in Sept. then I've ever seen, but they've gone their separate ways now, in search for a little companionship!  I'm sure when the shooting starts, a few will come running through. And with any luck, I wont be sleeping when they do...  at least it looks like we'll all be eating good! Stay safe, everyone.

DARN I MISS DEER CAMP!!  I use to go north to the Talmoon/Marcell area but after years of no deer and lazy hunting party I decided to hunt closer to home.  Since then every year I get kinda "Deer camp sick" as I miss the late nights, tall tales, good food, and laughs.  I hope someday I can start up that tradition with my kids. Good Luck to all and enjoy the season!!

DARN I MISS DEER CAMP!!  I use to go north to the Talmoon/Marcell area but after years of no deer and lazy hunting party I decided to hunt closer to home.  Since then every year I get kinda "Deer camp sick" as I miss the late nights, tall tales, good food, and laughs.  I hope someday I can start up that tradition with my kids. Good Luck to all and enjoy the season!!

hey I hunt that area. 7 miles west of talmoon we have a place!!!!!!! where did ya use to hunt when up there???

and iffin ya stayed outta hayslips there wouldn't be those late nites!!!!!!!!:P

we hunted on the north end of big turtle lake right down the road from Maple Ridge Resort...and yes we may have spent some time at Hayslips but that was part of the fun...it may have been a part of my hunting partners laziness but...

Wish I took pictures - BUT we tried something new this year - it's simplicity was only surpassed by its deliciousness.  Not ground-breaking but perhaps the best kraut & sausage I've EVER had.  My buddy showed up with 10 lbs of fresh polish sausage from some reputable sausage maker in Milwaukee.  it came together like this:

5-6 Yukon gold potatoes cut-up into bite sized chucks (enough to cover the bottom of the crock-pot)

sear the sausage and put it on top of the potatoes

Cover the sausage with one big can of kraut (un-rinsed with all the juice)

Dump in one can of you favorite beer - we went with the hunting classic - Busch Light!

Cook all day on low, let all the flavors come together.

What a meal!!! (husbands, it's best if you eat this at least 24 hrs before you have to go home to your wives or you'll be sleeping on the couch).

The quality of the sausage had a lot to do with it, but I'm going to try and find a similar fresh polish link around these parts.  I think we found a new deer camp staple.