• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wear a rock climbing harness

I didn't see this topic discussed for quite a while, so I thought I would bring it up.

Please use a harness from the ground up and back down this year!

We prefer a rock climbing harness for many reasons: No suspension trauma, more comfortable, rope won't get in the way of shooting(bow), you face the tree if you fall, and many others. 

If you keep your full body/4pt harness, please practice a self rescue! It's trickier than you think.  Always keep your suspension relief straps, knife and cell phone on your body in case you can't self rescue!

Questions? Ask away!

masonintree_zpsaxxvqj6d.jpg

Edited by snapcrackpop
more info

When I first started hunting I never wore the harness but as soon as my daughter was born all of a sudden it seemed to make a lot more sense to have it on.  The big thing with a safety harness, at least for me, is to find one that is comfortable and easy to get on.  I don't like to put it on until I get to the tree because I like to be able to wear less layers during my walk to avoid sweating too badly.  Then when I get to my tree I can layer up and put the harness on at that point.  The crappy harness that comes with most stands is basically a throw away item for me. I used one a few times but never again, just too hard to get on.

One thing I've been thinking about getting or making is the rope system with a prusik knot to make staying attached to the tree from top to bottom much easier.  Right now I've got the belt that goes around the tree that  you slide up as you climb but its kind of cumbersome and slow.  Sometimes I find myself not using it until i get up in the tree which I know doesn't do me any good so I need to find something different. 

The other thing I find myself doing more often now is not climbing as high.  One buddy still insist of climbing 30 feet up but I have been staying more in the 12-16 foot range. I hunt in some pretty hilly terrain and I tend to hunt toward the top of the hills with the deer trails below me so the hills give you extra elevation so climbing higher isn't needed.  Staying lower also gives me a good backdrop of trees and branches to break up my silhouette.  So far I haven't been busted since staying lower.  From that height if I do fall and get caught by the harness I can cut myself down with only a small controlled fall to the ground needed to self rescue. Or if some how I fall without a harness or the harness fails the fall will hurt but I have a much better chance than if I fall from 30 ft.

Completely agree guys. Our boots have very little traction on frosted over metal steps and climbers and platforms and ladder type stands. I bet many readers have had a fall or a near fall or know someone who has fallen or just about had a slip up. I agree on the daughter thing and getting older. Another good reminder for many is make sure you take the time to re-strap those ladder stands and check for wear by mother nature or critters and as the tree grows or the stand sinks in the Spring, re-set it and check any reinforcement straps or chains or however you do it. The way I see it is I'd like to be in as healthy a state as possible come Thanksgiving when it's time to share our deer stories or lack thereof. Be safe and if you have a shaky stand get rid of it and replace it, a fall from a heights likely isn't going to turn out very good so be careful and good luck out there ! 

I haven't done it yet but sometime I feel like I should get my climbing stand out and practice on a tree in the yard before the season.  Often times the first time I use it is opening morning.  Its not the lightest or fanciest climber out there so it does take some work to climb.  Better to relearn now than opening morning.

I've been reading about them on the archery talk forum. This is my first year bow hunting, and I found I can't draw back well for right hand shots because my elbow hits the tether.  

Folks that use the rock climbing rig seem to love it.

as far as the tether getting in the way drawing/shooting, place your tree strap above your head, high enough that you have just a little slack when sitting.  A harness such as the gorilla etec, have a long tether, and are easy on and comfortable.  I haven't had a problem since buying a gorilla harness.

I've been climbing more than trees for my entire adult life. I've been in at least a half dozen climbing harnesses and I can't imagine wearing any of them for treestand hunting. I've spent thousands of hours in a tree climbing harness, climbing up and down and even falling from trees. 

I'm not passing judgement on your choice of the rock climbing harness, but I don't see it as superior over a fullbody harness. A full body harness should have less suspension trauma than a  climbing harness. Also your weight is supported in the middle of your back instead of the middle of your waist. 

I guess the biggest takeaway is find a harness that fits you, that works for you and you will use it every time you leave the ground. I think most people have problems with their harness simply because they never practice with them. I use a Hunter Safety Systems vest-style body harness, the cheapest model in their line, and I love it. I've used several and that is the one that works for me. In fact, I'm probably due for a replacement. 

As long as you're wearing a harness, you're safer than most. 

"A full body harness should have less suspension trauma than a  climbing harness. Also your weight is supported in the middle of your back instead of the middle of your waist." - HUH?!

FB harness = more risk of suspension trauma. Your weight is placed on the groin/inner thigh.(legs hang down)

RC = less risk of suspension trauma. Your weight is placed on the back of your thighs.(sitting position)

Wikipedia,  "If someone is stranded in a harness, but is not unconscious or injured, and has something to kick against or stand on (such as a rock ledge or caving leg-loops) it is helpful for them to use their leg muscles by pushing against it every so often, to keep the blood pumping back to the torso. If the person is stranded in mid-air or is exhausted, then keeping the legs moving can be both beneficial and rather dangerous. On the one hand, exercising the leg muscles will keep the blood returning to the torso, but on the other hand, as the movements become weaker the leg muscles will continue to demand blood yet they will become much less effective at returning it to the body, and the moment the victim ceases moving their legs, the blood will immediately start to pool. "Pedaling an imaginary bicycle" should only be used as a last-ditch effort to prolong consciousness, because as soon as the "pedaling" stops, fainting will shortly follow. If it is impossible to rescue someone immediately, then it is necessary to raise their legs to a sitting position, which can be done with a loop of rigging tape behind the knees or specialized equipment from a rescue kit".

Re-read that last sentence. 

Suspension trauma-blood pooling in your legs because the femoral artery & nerve is compressed, located in the groin area.

A RC harness allows you to hang in "a sitting position."  You can easily place your hand between the strap and your leg/inner thigh. Blood circulates!

In a full body harness your legs hang straight down unless you can self rescue... dangerous,  deadly!

Plus a RC is WAY MORE comfortable.  No straps on your neck, no holes to cut in your coat. Take clothes, bino harness, bibs on/off without disconnecting.

Comfort = compliance = lives.  Anyone hate their harness or won't wear one because of comfort? Try a $40-60 rock climbing harness.

I agree either harness is better than nothing. 

It is my prediction that a rock climbing harness will be the majority in less than 5 years. Its just that clear.

Edited by snapcrackpop

I understand them and do find them useful, I just disagree and don't have any problem with the harness I use. I dont make any changes to my clothing and I practice with my harness. My harness has a strap that loops under the butt

Most people will not tolerate having a rope or other tether attached in the front of their body. I guess when you say suspension trauma you're talking about how long people hang in a tree after they fall. I was speaking about how much protection the harness provides when you actually fall. Full body harnesses and to a great level, vest style harness have greater surface area to displace the shock of a fall. I've fallen plenty of times in a RC harness and purpose built battan-seat tree climbing harnesses. They are certainly more comfortable for hanging, but as far as absorbing the shock of a fall, they can't beat the full body.

I guess we are talking about two different things.