• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead

Guppy

At 57 lbs. an expandable may not be the best option for you.  If you're looking for a head that flies great and gets good penetration, I'd recommend one of several moderate diameter, fixed blade heads.  A couple that come to mind are G5 Strikers, VPAs, Magnus Stingers, and Magnus Snuffer SS.  For bigger critters like elk and moose I shoot G5 Strikers and have been happy with them.  If I didn't have a bunch of them laying around I'd probably give VPAs a try- I know a lot of guys who use and love them.  Any of the other heads I mentioned are also good heads (as well as some other options on the market).  All of these heads will shoot great out of a bow that is in tune.  If you're bow is not tuned well, likely none of them will shoot well.  Good luck!

If you want to shoot an expandable that penetrates well, try a 100 grain Rocket Steelhead.  I've shot several deer with them at 58 pounds and have had complete pass throughs on all of them.  Otherwise, Scoot's advice is spot on, especially if your draw length is on the shorter side.

I have had really got luck with slick trick magnums. Anything with the word magnum in it has to be sweet right? They fly exactly like my field points and even after my wife shot her deer last year you could still shave your finger nails. 

SmellEsox, I shot the Rocket Steelheads for a long time and had great results!  Relatively small expandable and it did a number on every single deer I ever shot with them.  However, they sent their production overseas and quality control has gone to heck on them ever since.  Personally, I won't shoot them again because they simply aren't the product they used to be.

eyedr, the Slick Trick Magnums are pretty bad a$$!!!  However, if penetration is what Guppy is really after, I'd lean towards the standard sized option over the Magnums.  The standards will get better penetration than the mags and will certainly do a number on a deer if you put it in the right spot! 

What heads do you use that fly good and get good penetration?

Shoot them in a softer spot! :-)  

Just about anything on the market should pass through 2 ribs @ 57 pounds.  Otherwise I really think the Strickland's Helix is the best at punching through bones.  But 2 blades just don't bleed as well as muti-bladed heads.

What arrow do you use??? what is your FOC(front of center)?? I shoot Easton Axis 340, 75 grain brass inserts, 100 grain NAP Killzones or 100 grain Muzzy 4 blade. and 2 inch blazers right helical!

You can still get a pass through with low draw weight but  you need a heavy arrow!

Guppy it's not always the heads falt , what weight is you arrow set up ? I like swackers but I did notice my lighter set up was not great on penetration . My lighter gold tip are 365 grain and my axis arrows are 440 grains and I'm shooting 64 lbs at 27.5 in draw with a slower bow . The heavy arrows are the way to go with any broad head you chose