• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In one lake I fish, the water is clear and the bottom is sandy and the walleyes I catch are bright and clear with a light golden hue. In another lake a few miles away, the water is dark and the bottom is clay and mud, and the walleyes I catch there are nearly jet black on the top and in the face and a very dark golden brown tone. They are both walleyes, genetically the same, but each came up in different environments and so they look drastically different even though they possess the same cellular make-up...

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, it's just the nature of...nature. Do a soil sample in the areas of your "grays" and "yellows" or go so far as to test the PH. Check relative moisture on the same day. What is the sun exposure like? Surrounding plants the same? I am guessing that one or many of these factors could help determine why one "species" appears different in different areas. I know the debate rages on, but it appears science favors the idea of one species with different fruiting bodies, and I know that different environmental factors can greatly affect the appearance of the same species in many other examples in the animal and plant kingdoms.

In one lake I fish, the water is clear and the bottom is sandy and the walleyes I catch are bright and clear with a light golden hue. In another lake a few miles away, the water is dark and the bottom is clay and mud, and the walleyes I catch there are nearly jet black on the top and in the face and a very dark golden brown tone. They are both walleyes, genetically the same, but each came up in different environments and so they look drastically different even though they possess the same cellular make-up...

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, it's just the nature of...nature. Do a soil sample in the areas of your "grays" and "yellows" or go so far as to test the PH. Check relative moisture on the same day. What is the sun exposure like? Surrounding plants the same? I am guessing that one or many of these factors could help determine why one "species" appears different in different areas. I know the debate rages on, but it appears science favors the idea of one species with different fruiting bodies, and I know that different environmental factors can greatly affect the appearance of the same species in many other examples in the animal and plant kingdoms.

Ha, yeah no. I think I will just eat them thanks! wink

This all maybe true. confused

Here is my experience. I have two main Morel areas which are miles apart. In one area I find a small patch or Gray's each year always in the same spot and they come up first. The ones that I have left never turn yellow or larger. No yellows ever grow in this same small area during the whole growing season. In the larger surrounding area Yellows will start popping up about 5 days to a week after the small grays do. About the time the larger yellows start popping up the small grays stop and never come up again.

In the other area which is miles from the other. I have never-ever found any small Grays growing only yellows. I start checking both spots on the same days and time of year. This same growing scenario of the grays and yellows in these two areas have played out the same year after year for the last 4-5 years that I have harvested them in these spots. They sure seem to be a little different to me?

I think the best thing you could do in the name of science is to provide us the GPS coordinates of those two spots so we can all conduct test trials for ourselves grin

I think the best thing you could do in the name of science is to provide us the GPS coordinates of those two spots so we can all conduct test trials for ourselves grin

I knew I had this somewhere! wink

full-27051-55453-full_27051_54875_its_a_

Looks like one. Do a quick "Google" for the basic ID. Specifically, if you cut it in half, they should be completely hollow inside vs. fiber like stuff which would be found inside a false morel. Also, cap should be completely attached to the stem vs. hanging over it. I can't tell those things from the pic. But those are two basics to get you started.

This is a morel, right? My seven year son found it next to the parking lot while I was putting the straps on the boat. full-742-55454-2015_05_02_14_14_00_736.j

Cut it in half and if it is hollow, it's a morel. wink

I'll be curious to know what the inside looks like on that one. Let us know about the inside. It's either a morel or a false morel that could fool anyone. The one thing I noticed is that it does appear "squashed" compared to what we normally see in a cone shaped morel. And that's one of the indicators of a false morel. But as mentioned, cutting it in half will tell you all you need to know. Here's a link with some good pics showing false and true morel differences:

http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/morel-mushroom.html

Can I ask general area (county/state) you found it? Most reports I've found have them still in Iowa and not here in MN yet. If they are starting to pop around here - that would be great news!

I found several dozen in the SW metro today. I checked several spots. Some were popping and some were not. I didn't find a single shroom over 2" tall. A couple more days and I will harvest the greys. I actually found a spot that had several morels that had started to dry out and mold. They were a very early flush. I took a few home that were at prime and a pheasant back to add to our hamburgers.

While at the grocery store, I peeked at the dried morels. $29.99 for 1oz of dehydrated morels. Roughly 8 average morels. The package said appx 8oz when rehydrated. IF I have a season like I did last year, I may have to sell some to a mushroom buyer.

Yep. I see one place selling fresh morels @ $38/Lb. Good to hear they are popping in the metro. I took a peek yesterday in my woods and didn't see anything, so I'm assuming the ones people are finding are in sunny/more open areas. Still looking like rain Wednesday and Thursday and then 70 on Saturday. That might be a good day to find some.

I have morel hunted the past 5 years or so and have some good spots now in the southern half of MN. I have a problem this year; I can't make it out this weekend and most of next week. How long does the season last? Think they'll still be up the weekend of May 16 or will that be too late?

I have morel hunted the past 5 years or so and have some good spots now in the southern half of MN. I have a problem this year; I can't make it out this weekend and most of next week. How long does the season last? Think they'll still be up the weekend of May 16 or will that be too late?

When I start to find them it seems like about 2 weeks or less.

When I start to find them it seems like about 2 weeks or less.

I think that's about right. I'd say 3 weeks is pretty much the whole season - start to finish, but most the shrooms seem to come in about a two week window.

I told him that will be the easiest one he will ever find. Also told him to not eat any that we are not sure what it is since many will make you sick and some will kill you. He likes making and eating syrup more than mushrooms so maybe I will send him out hunting for morels and pay him with syrup.

full-742-55535-2015_syrp.jpg