• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Jig for Fishing Grass

kstephes033

Hey guys, I am just wondering what everybody uses for jigs in grass. I live in the metro so fishing lakes around prior lake for the most part, and tonka and waconia a lot this year for the club and getting ready for state next year. Looking to start using jigs more again this year as i have gotten away from them recently for other techniques and need to start fishing them more. What brand and what style head is your favorite for fishing both deep grass (milfoil and cabbage mostly) and shallower thick milfoil? Thanks for the responses!

Hey guys, I am just wondering what everybody uses for jigs in grass. I live in the metro so fishing lakes around prior lake for the most part, and tonka and waconia a lot this year for the club and getting ready for state next year. Looking to start using jigs more again this year as i have gotten away from them recently for other techniques and need to start fishing them more. What brand and what style head is your favorite for fishing both deep grass (milfoil and cabbage mostly) and shallower thick milfoil? Thanks for the responses!

Casting and pitching I have use Northland Jungle Jigs for years, but they quit making my two favorite colors. North Star Jigs South Paw have kind of replaced them. South Paws are just a great, great grass jig.

If I'm flipping into really heavy junk I'll sometimes use an All Terrain Grassmaster but I don't especially like the inline hook eye for casting.

Last couple years I've been using one my buddy ties up, its got a bullet shaped head which goes through grass well. Before that I really like the Northland Jungle Jigs and I recently picked up some NorthStar Southpaws that I plan on using as soon as the ice melts.

+1 on anything NorthStar Custom Jigs. I have been using the flip-n-swim for a few years now, I mostly fish a jig on weed lines and through scattered coontail clumps. Southpaw will be great for heavy cover, it was a new jig he came out with last year and I just havnt fished it yet.

For medium type grass, I like the N/S Flip and Swim. The wire tied skirts really hold up to multiple fish, compared to some other jigs. Haven't tried the South Paw yet, but should. I also like the Grassmaster jigs for a little thicker stuff.

If everything goes right tomorrow NorthStar Custom baits will have a new owner, I started the company 8 years ago selling product on evil bay, in December of 08 I built the HSOforum. I have seen alot of ups and downs, had a lot of fun, made thousands of jigs, interacted with some pretty dam cool people from all over the country, but it is time for me to move on. The new owner is a stand up guy, is very enthusiastic and is committed to keeping the same quality product you are used to seeing. I am looking forward to actually being able to go fishing and spending time with my kids! I can count on one hand how many times I have been open water fishing in the last 3 years on 2 hands, that's just not right, especially for a guy that was on the water over a hundred times a year before starting the company!

Me and my son have started a new venture though, my son has his own youtube channel for tech reviews and what not, so we have started a outdoor channel also, we wrapped up our first video yesterday on swim jigs, it is pretty rough, or I should say I am pretty rough in front of the camera, but hopefully that will improve with time. We are both looking forward to making new videos and have some pretty good ideas for new videos. Here is our swim jig video

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2QG9BZDLShA

Me and my son have started a new venture though, my son has his own youtube channel for tech reviews and what not, so we have started a outdoor channel also, we wrapped up our first video yesterday on swim jigs, it is pretty rough, or I should say I am pretty rough in front of the camera, but hopefully that will improve with time. We are both looking forward to making new videos and have some pretty good ideas for new videos. Here is our swim jig video

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/2QG9BZDLShA

I love your video and will definitely be a disciple. Ironically, I bought my last truck from Village Chevrolet (the advertisement in the beginning of your video) -small world. I need to restock my jigs this spring an this video will help me out. Hopefully more jig vids will be coming soon!!

We will be doing alot of jig videos, after all it is what I fish with at least 1/2 of the time I am fishing, and it seems like there are so many people that just don't "get" the jig. With our new catch and release season at the beginning of the year I really think swim jigs will shine in this period, especially on those warm sunny days when the fish are moving up and feeding aggressively, a 1/4oz swim jig with either a grub or swim bait trailer will be absolutely deadly swum around emerging weeds and hard cover!

Hey Chris,

I've been asked a few times what the difference is between guys in the fishing industry and weekend warriors and my answer has always been that, generally speaking, the weekend warriors get to fish a lot more. So congrats on rejoining the ranks of the weekend warriors!

Glad to hear you found someone to take over the company and that you're excited about your new projects. Have to admit there's some selfishness in there on my part though. I really hit the panic button when I heard you were moving on from the lure biz grin You've got some great products I rely on dang near every time I bass fish, so I'm happy to hear it'll continue with a new owner.

Good luck with the new venture. And you're spot on about the swim jigs in the C&R season. smile

Well it is official, NorthStar has a new owner, Bret is a great guy, we met yesterday, I gave him the lowdown on the process and he is bringing everything back and setting up shop at his house in WI, I feel good about the whole thing, and am going to stick around and help him out to make sure he has everything down so you guys can continue to get the product you are used to receiving. It will probably be a couple weeks before he has everything rolling so be patient. I am also going to continue to tie hair jigs for Northstar since he has never done that, I think in a couple weeks my wrist/ hand will be up to the task so you should start seeing the stock being built up in a month or so! I want to thank all the customers over the years it was a really neat experience being able to do this, I enjoyed the heck out of most of it and I am ready to start fishing again....lol

Normally bass opens a couple weeks after everything else but this year in mn the second weekend is opener for most species (like always) but it is also open to bass fishing but you have to immediately release the bass you catch.