• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shopping around and....

Dave S

disappointed with what I found. Of all the cheap Chinese/Korean/Taiwan knock offs that mimic or copy the appearance of other name brands, it's a little frustrating that a company with Honda's reliability and reputation has now chosen to basically copy the Polaris Sportsman look.

New Honda Rubicon:

full-8710-51976-hondarubicon.jpg

New Polaris Sportsman:

full-8710-51977-polarissportsman.jpg

Most notable are the headlight pod where both are eerily reminiscent of Magneto's helmet from X-Men. Note that Polaris has changed theirs slightly over the last few years but there was one that was more closely copied than that in the picture. Also the new Rubicon has very similar lines on the front end around the headlights down through the front grill.

For being a major contender in the motorsports industry, it seems a little shameful that a company such as Honda would go this far for a redesign.

It's not the first time a major brand has done this. Anyone remember when Arctic Cat got back into making snowmobiles and released the Wildcat 650? Compare that hood to a Ski-Doo Blizzard 9500/9700. wink

A lot of these companies are vying for Gov, military contracts so you will see a few kind of Spec'ed the same. If they don't get the contract they just put them out as is without some of the other goodies they had mounted up for the gov. wink

the military has most brands already with Polaris building a true spec'd out version of their basic machines.

I doubt the military is concerned about aesthetics as much as they're needing a purpose built machine.

if Honda was smart they would copy the 550/850 models and not the dated 500/800 model sportsmans smile

I bet the honda is still 3wd and has drum brakes though too lol

Sadly the ATV market is drying up fast and manufacturers are focusing on SxS's. I dont think we will see much for new models except for bold new colors and graphics in most of the line ups.

The new Rubicon has a lot of good things going for it, looks not so much. It is efi, irs, diff lock, disc brakes and high low range hondamatic or manual. Now all they need to do is up the cc's. To me it looks much better in the white and black versions.

I think if they would have kept the headlight from the previous model it wouldn't look so much like a sportsman.

Totally agree guys.

I'm also a little disappointed they dropped the displacement and are putting out less HP than the previous Rubi.

I realize they're known for their reliability, but come on already. It's time for Big Red to up the ante.

Rundrave, You're correct on the SXS market. Another machine where I think Polaris is onto something is the Sportsman Ace. It's not for everyone but certain riders will love it. Would be nice to see a Sport version with the 1000cc motor in it grin

I've been seriously eyeing up the Sportsman 1000 XP.

Rundrave, You're correct on teh SXS market. Another machine where I think Polaris is onto something is the Sportsman Ace. It's not for everyone but certain riders will love it. Would be nice to see a Sport version with the 1000cc moor in it grin

I would have already bought the Ace with the 570 had it had a dual a-arm front suspension. I am not gonna fork out that kind of $ for something with struts but I digress. They lose all the leg-room if they go away from the struts so I can see why they kept them. The ace is still priced really well and I am seeing and know a few guys with them that like them.

I was hoping when they finally came out with a new scrambler that I would buy one but when they basically slapped some different plastics on a rebadged sportsman I wasn't interested any longer.

The 570 prostar motor is no slouch and most guys I know that have that motor in the razr like it better than the 800+cc motors because of the power to weight ratio and how it handles with less weight.

Good point on the struts and leg room. It's not like an extra 12" in chassis length would have hurt anything. But I agree. Surprised Polaris is still clinging on to using struts on some machines.

As for the Scrambler. It is undoubtedly the ugliest ATV I've ever seen. It would have been nice to see something that was not tied to the Sportsman but an upgrade to the shocks does help. I also think they could have come up with a better drive system than what they have in the Scrambler now. That transmission has to add a lot of weight. Take 150 lbs off that machine and now we're talking some serious fun.

Only if they made a 570 RZR S. The 800 S models are at awesome pricing now because of the new 900 S. Which fits the budget a little nicer. I would rather have the less efficient 800 with the better suspension and ground clearance than the 570 with lesser suspension and ground clearance. They really should look at the 570 in a S trim for the guys who just want a capable machine for the trails and fishing. Other than that ya the 570 is a little power house.

As for the Scrambler. It is undoubtedly the ugliest ATV I've ever seen. It would have been nice to see something that was not tied to the Sportsman but an upgrade to the shocks does help.

The Fox shocks that come on the Scrambler LE....if you removed the sticker from them you would not be able to identify them as Fox Podiums. They are severely downgraded in every aspect but the sticker.

I made my purchase today. Picked up a Sportsman 570 SP with a 60" plow. Of all the machines I've had over the years, this is my second Polaris and the first machine with a plow. Haven't put many miles on it yet but will try to provide an update as to how I like it as time goes by.

full-8710-52393-2015sportsman570sp.jpg

Nice looking machine...for a polaris. Lol

I've thought about a plow for mine but haven't pulled the trigger. A nice upgrade for you would be a synthetic winch rope. They tend not to bind so much. My old man does a lot of plowing and had lots of trouble with the braided steel lines.

Thanks Captain. Amazing how much it looks like the new Hondas grin

Joking aside, synthetic rope was one of the last discussions I had before leaving the dealership. Tires will also come with time. Also will be looking over this machine to see if there's anything that I can make for accessories. I have sheet metal equipment at my disposal so I can build whatever my mind can conjure up.

Yep the mind can think of endless things to do with these machines. I just wish I used mine more.

Its amazing how aftermarket tires can totally change the handling etc of a machine. I still run stock tires on mine but its one thing I really want to upgrade.