• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need taxidermy recommendations for skull mount

1eyeReD

Corcorans in Hampton does real nice skull work.

I personally have been going with the reproduction skulls the past couple years. I like all the different color patterns you can chose from. If your not stuck on using the actual skull of your deer check out Masterofskulls or Outlaw Skulls.

I have done a number of them. I actually take pride in doing it myself. It is a little nasty getting the brain out but if you can handle it you can save a couple bucks. Nice buck by the way, He will look great on your wall

A buddy and myself did our own last year and it wasn't all that bad. We researched ways of doing it but basically took all the meat we could off. Got the brains out using a clothes hanger with a small hook bent on the end. After that we had an old pot that we filled with water and dish soap. The dish soap helped with the stink but I didn't think it smelt all that bad. Usually boiled them for about 10 to 20 mins then try to pick off as much meat as possible with pliers and picking with screw drivers . After I finished I took it to my taxidermist and had him put a paste on with peroxide and I think baking soda. Haven't figured out exactly what it was but it worked great and u don't have to baby sit it so it sat on for 3 days then I rinsed it off. I'll see if I can post a pic of the finished product

I have done my own as well as taking it to a taxidermist. Its true its a process and it stinks! For that buck I would take it to a taxidermist, maybe try your own on a smaller deer. The taxidermist I took it too actually took it to another guy in Cannon Falls that has these special beetles that do all the work for you! Gets the skull really clean and white. My mount turned out really well, its the one in my avatar

<----------------- Let me know if you want to go this route, I can try to get the number.

A buddy and myself did our own last year and it wasn't all that bad. We researched ways of doing it but basically took all the meat we could off. Got the brains out using a clothes hanger with a small hook bent on the end. After that we had an old pot that we filled with water and dish soap. The dish soap helped with the stink but I didn't think it smelt all that bad. Usually boiled them for about 10 to 20 mins then try to pick off as much meat as possible with pliers and picking with screw drivers . After I finished I took it to my taxidermist and had him put a paste on with peroxide and I think baking soda. Haven't figured out exactly what it was but it worked great and u don't have to baby sit it so it sat on for 3 days then I rinsed it off. I'll see if I can post a pic of the finished product

He may have used Borax instead of baking soda. The beetles work pretty well because some times when you do the boiling thing it can make teeth and other things loosen and fall out, but you can just glue them back in.

Congrats on the buck 1 eye!

I've been happy with Beetle My Bones in Waite Park (next to St. Cloud).

Neither the beetles or boiling alone will get the bleach white look. They have to be whitened after the flesh/brain removal process of your choice.

Good luck whichever way you go. cool

I took mine to a taxidermist off 169 between Elk River and Zimmerman and he did a great job for a reasonable price. Would do it again with another buck that is bigger but not the most "perfect rack"