• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Annual Ice fishing trip

walleyeking19

So this year is my turn to plan our annual ice fishing trip for our group of guys. In the past we've gone to LOTW, Red and Mille Lacs so I want to try something different. Devils Lake is too far I guess, so here are the options:

Leech

Vermillion

South Dakota (Waubay)

Where would you guys recommend? Any resorts to stay with (or stay away from)? we want to stay in sleeper shacks on the water if possible. I plan on bringing my portable with to find fish too if they arent biting. Thanks!

I wouldn't rule out Devils Lake. A group of us recently stayed with Woodland Resort there and they did an awesome job for us granted we were duck hunting however our guide is the head ice guide as well and we learned a lot about how they conduct thier business on the ice and it sounds like they put in a massive amount of effort to ensure thier customers have a great fishing expereience. The lodge there is very nice, good food, clean cabins and top notch equipment on the ice. We live here at LOW and we are planning on taking a trip over there for a weekend for a little change of scenery.

Devils lake may be further mileage wise but actual drive time is the same or less. And your running 4 lane highway the whole ways. No stretches like the one from kelliher north. Add in a 10 walleye possession limit and the nice perch and its something to consider talking the others into.

I know I had a couple guys reluctant to make the switch when we did, and after a year or two they were back in and now have quite a few others that have joined in.

Hands down my favorite ice fishing destination

Yeah I'm all for driving to Devils Lake, but a few of the guys we go with aren't the most mobile so just fishing out of a permanent all day is easiest for them.

I'll keep trying to convince them cause its amazing up there! I guess LOTW is back on the table too

I think both have some awesome options

Leech lake, typically you can move around and find perch or northerns around during the day and then at dawn and dusk you can find some serious walleye action. And that can all be from the same hole and then also throwing in some pout...does it get much better??

LOW - Love it for a guys trip. Catching eyes all day long, and then at the pub at night eating pizza or fish, if your looking for a party atmosphere i love it up there. I like fishing hard during the day and then having my nights free.

If you guys like to fish and fish all day and all night and like having rattle reels go off at like 1 in the morning leech would be my recommended destination.

Big ML Pond - as far as recent fish numbers and now the new restrictions on the lake i wouldn't go there. Can be a complete 7 day fish bust, at least at the other two you know will most likely get into some fish.

Devils lake - Never been have always heard AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME things about up there. Perch fishing i hear is just unbelievable and the 4 line rule... crazy.

THats all I know, sorry not much help but thought i would atlest chime in.

Jig

I'd skip Red and Mille Lacs. You'll catch fish on Red, but you're done in minutes if the bite is hot. LOW you've got a chance at multiple species, and better limits.

Waubay area was good two years ago, but it also got nailed hard two years ago. The big crowds hit the best lake each of the last two years, and the year after those lakes were dead.

South Dakota can be good, but you have to be the first to find them. Once the word is out, it's thicker than black friday out there and doesn't last long. Those smaller lakes can't take the 1000 house pressure like LOW or Red can.

Watching the late ice shows from last season, it looks like Devils is still pretty good.

Devils Lake is only 55 miles farther away than LOW from Buffalo, plus it's way more interstate to Devils Lake.

a bunch of us go to leech every year do prety good I also have gone to devils lake a few times and did great, stayed at woodlands the have houses out if you don't want to use portables. and from central mn. its faster getting there than going to LOW

I would recommend the webster/waubay area but you'd be handicapping yourself in a permanent shack. being able to move around, especially chasing the perch, is key on these lakes. The quality of the fish this summer/fall has been excellent on many of the lakes. The blue plate crowds will be on Bitter, the Dry's, and waubay mostly, but that leaves about 200 really good fisheries to explore, and they all offer some sort of great perch/walleye/crappie/gill/pike. Just wish the townships would quit illegally closing roads to some of the sloughs...but that's a whole different story.

a bunch of us go to leech every year do prety good I also have gone to devils lake a few times and did great, stayed at woodlands the have houses out if you don't want to use portables. and from central mn. its faster getting there than going to LOW

I'm not sure on the faster part. We went there last year and it took a little longer than going to LOTW. LOTW and Devils are 2 very good lakes.