• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Trailer License plate?

Craigums

An 18' boat should have a trailer with over 3000lb capacity. Look on the inside of the frame, where it y's out behind the tongue. There should be a manufacturers plate that gives you the GVW and all other load specs on the trailer. It also should be stated on the title for the trailer and on previous registration cards.

If you have brakes on the trailer it is probably rated for 3000lbs or more. My 18' Stratos 386 weighs 3450 with a full tank of gas.

Permanent sticker is $50.

I thought it was 4500lbs but I could be wrong.

I've seen boats as small as 18' with a regular plate and as big as 19' with a permanent sticker.

I had a regular plate trailer I bought used once and tried to get it changed to a permanent sticker license, the DMV was not having it.

Permanent sticker is $50.

I thought it was 4500lbs but I could be wrong.

I've seen boats as small as 18' with a regular plate and as big as 19' with a permanent sticker.

I had a regular plate trailer I bought used once and tried to get it changed to a permanent sticker license, the DMV was not having it.

From the MN DPS site:

Policies and Procedures

​Trailers

Small utility trailers

3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight receive permanent registration. The registration sticker issued is displayed on the tongue of the vehicle.

Weighted Trailers

For trailers registered at over 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, that are not towed as a tractor-semi trailer combination. Registration is based on gross weight.

Expiration: February - plate must display year validation sticker and gross weight sticker.

I never knew the limit and suspected I should have a plate but have a sticker instead. I'll have to check the rating tonight on the 18' with trailer brakes. I wonder what the penalty is.

whistle

I'll let you know as soon as my ticket gets posted to the Hennepin County Fine Department mad

Good to know.

I guess I should fix mine. The sticker on my tongue says 6,000lb GVWR plus other tongue weight info. Wondering if that is for the trailer or just the tounge. I didn't crawl around under it looking for another spec plate. Might have to dig out the title next.

Landing, I came back to a ticket stuffed under my wipers.

Hang on a minute here - Did you get a ticket for having a MN permanent sticker when you should have had a license plate?? If so that is hardcore.

I actually know a guy that licenses all his new boat trailers with a permanent sticker, even huge double axle 5-6000 lbs trailers.

You can definitely fight that. My boat was registered in South Dakota when I first moved here and the boat spent half the year in SD and I had a license plate. I received a ticket at a launch due to not having appropriate Registration displayed and I called the office and they dropped the ticket. It was like $100

Earlier you said your trailer had plates. Was the ticket for expired tabs on the plates or having the reg. sticker when you should have the plate?

If you had the reg. sticker instead of the plate I would think they would give you a warning or fix-it type ticket. In most of those cases I would guess it was the dealer that lied to the DMV and the trailer owner would be clueless about it. I would take the time to go to court and at least explain the situation to a judge.

If they are going to start checking trailers for weight capacity fishermen are going to be in for a rough time between boat trailers and drop down fish house that are over 3000lb GVW.

Hmmm I have an 1850 Sportfish with a single axle trailer with surge brakes. It started out with a plate, but the first time I renewed, they gave me the permanent sticker. If I remember right, it was the first year they started with them.

Hmmm I have an 1850 Sportfish with a single axle trailer with surge brakes. It started out with a plate, but the first time I renewed, they gave me the permanent sticker. If I remember right, it was the first year they started with them.

Same boat and trailer setup for me and I have perm sticker.

Before the permanent sticker they used a mini permanent license plate (the size of a motorcycle plate). Maybe that's what you had.

Sorry for the confusion, ticket was for expired tabs on the plate, I never got anything in the mail to renew and it slipped my mind.. Which led me to check all the other boats in our club, nobody else had plates even with boats bigger than mine, a few had no plates or no sticker!

EDIT: I have a full sized license plate on my trailer, not a mini one

My last big boat 21 footer had a full size plate and it does go by weight. I think a lot of people tell the DMV the wrong info to get the cheaper sticker and I don't think the DMV pushes it to hard as there are a lot of people that should have plates and have stickers.

"Before the permanent sticker they used a mini permanent license plate (the size of a motorcycle plate). Maybe that's what you had."

I can't remember what happened yesterday, but I think you may be right.