• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Subaru outback

I want to say we were in the 18-23 range it memory serves me right. We did have what appeared to be the beginning of the head gasket issue, so I poured some Stop Leak in it and got rid of it. We also had a 3 child at the time and it was to small for 3 car seats. My wife loved the AWD though. The ones I still see driving around appear to have close to zero body rust and still look good.

I have a 2011, my son had a 1996. His had 200,000 and still going strong until an accident totaled it out. His came from California and had no rust on it! Coupled with Goodyear Triple tread tires his was one of the only cars driving around Duluth in many snowstorms during his college years in Duluth! His mileage was 24 to 28mpg. No head gasket issues.

Ours has been bullet proof, great in snow though I will be upgrading tires soon. Towed a U-Haul to Boston to move my daughter to grad school. Plenty of power towing though I kept to 65 mph most of the trip. Averaged about 23 towing. We currently get in the 30 to 32mpg range with it on the highway about 3 to 4mpg less in town.

Quote:
Anyone ever pull a small pop up? We use our Expedition (GAS HOG) to tow the camper but it seems a little excessive. Looking at getting an outback..

I haven't but my U-Haul weight was around 1800/1900lbs. My year Subie with the 2.5L and CVT is rated at 2700lbs and 200 max tongue weight. Anything over 1,000 requires trailer brakes. I know a few folks towing pop ups under 2,000 lbs with electronic trailer brakes with no issues. Just don't expect to drive 75mph loaded through the hills! When I tow with mine I keep it between 65 and 70 depending on terrain.

Can't say anything bad about them that you don't already know. I have had one in the shop that was a late model that ran out of oil. The customer couldn't believe they still had time left on there 7,500 mile oil change interval and there was no oil left in the car.....insert shaking heads here!

Wife has a 2013 and so far no problems. Honestly in bad weather would rather drive it than my Sierra 1500. We looked for used but most either had 200k on them and low mile ones were sold before we found them. I would own one if it would pull my boat lol. I think our gas average since day one is in the mid 20 range. Mainly in town driving.

just for info....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/07/18/subaru-oil-burner-lawsuit/12859865/

Quote:
A proposed class-action lawsuit contends Subaru of America failed to tell consumers about an oil-consumption problem in its most popular models.

The suit claims the vehicles "prematurely burn off and/or consume abnormal and excessive amounts of engine oil" and alleges Cherry Hill-based Subaru has refused to fix the problem, saddling some customers with steep repair bills.

The suit seeks to represent buyers of 2011-14 Foresters, the 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback, all with 2.5-liter "Boxer" engines; and the 2012-13 Impreza and 2013 Crosstrek, with 2-liter "Boxer" engines.

my 99 had the head gasket redone they said. son drove it to seatle in 2009 and it blew 100 miles down the road on the way back. airfare back home and then back and repairs were around 3500. grrrrrrr! lol mechanic said it was redone but done wrong the first replacement. still driving it today and love it. 198000