• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Green Pepper Production

kingr

This is the second year of trying to grow green peppers. My pepper plant is not producing more than 1 pepper on a plant. Granted it's a good looking pepper but I'm puzzled as to why the other flowers are not growing. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I only planted one plant between my cucumbers and tomatoes just for a FYI.

Sweet bells are pretty fussy around here. They like well drained fertile soil and warmer somewhat dryer growing weather along with certain soil/air temp requirements for optimum flowering and fruiting...what exactly those are, cant say, but can say is us northlanders essentially have to he lucky to get a good crop. Best bet is to again to have proper soil, don't plant too early, use a variety like Northstar, Gypsy, or Sunbell, try putting black plastic around the plant roots, and hope for a warm year. You could also try putting them in pots as well. For what ever reason, most hot peppers almost ironically seem to do better here and more and more making more space for them....and just buy bells at the store.

Hmm interesting. My fertilizer consists of a couple bags of the "garden soil" and then some manure compost. I have no idea what variety they are...it's from Menards.

That's interesting about the pots. I wonder if the pots keep the soil warmer, hence better production.

Well I'll have to try something a little different next year...

full-552-48077-img_20140805_173301_506.j

If the tomatoes would ketchup, the salsa garden would be ready. smile

I don't know if it's my soil or what, but I've never had problems growing peppers.

Just miracle grow every week or so for the first month and a half.

I guess I do stick to the pavers, no soil compaction.

I picked about 60 jalapeño's this last week, crop has been fantastic, green peppers are also doing very well, ahead of out canning tomatoes so I cut the peppers up, quarter them and freeze them in a zip lock until the canning crop is ready.

Maters for BLT's have been very good.

I've grown Green Bells, Jalapenos, Cowhorns, Anaheims, and many other types in 5 gal pails on my deck for ten years. Just drill some drain holes in the bottom, put a piece of screen down on bottom of bucket, add 1" of sand, and fill to the top with a good potting soil. I always use Miracle Gro for veggies.

I water well every day, as they do dry out quick in these in the sun, as they get the sun all day long. Don't know if it's the heat from the deck in the sun, making the soil very warm, but I always have beautiful peppers with no problems. Off of five plants I picked 72 Bells the other year, usually average at least 10-12 per plant. DOES require lots of staking; I use the green metal "stake" rods, and tie the limbs to them with string. These are a few of them...

t5g8kj.jpg

35id2kl.jpg

I've been growing "hot" peppers for the last couple of years---mainly because my son in-law said there wasn't a pepper he couldn't eat. Well he finally said that was enough because we found them. full-20662-48303-summer2013001.jpg

full-20662-48304-summer2013005.jpg

Nice batch! "mainly because my son in-law said" Nothing like a little hidden motivation! grin

My wife and I have grown peppers for the last few years and this is the first year we have been very successful at it. We put our two plants each in its own bucket. During the early growing season we water it well and we feed it blood meal. About a tablespoon every two weeks. Once it starts to produce peppers we switch to blood meal. Same dose every two weeks. Remember these are in containers and we water them daily. We have between 6 to 10 peppers on each plant right now and are picking them weekly!