• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which cell phone?

I'm contemplating breaking down to get a personal smartphone. I have one that work provides, but it's pretty well locked down (cant install apps, browsing goes though company filters, etc.) and fairly old technology.

Looking at Samsung S5 or HTC One M8. I really like the feel of the HTC One, but Samsung screen seems a bit better and it has better camera and removable battery.

Main uses would be calls, text, and mobile browsing.

Thoughts?

You cannot go wrong with either.

Here is why I chose the Samsung S5

Better camera

Removable Battery

Waterproof

Essentially they are the same phone inside so like I said you really can’t make a bad choice. The M8 has superior speakers and a smoother user interface.

I can’t say how impressed I am though with the S5 camera. More that exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for posting that. Even though I'm still undecided, I'm tending toward the S5 because I have a Samsung tablet. Thinking it should be easier to link/sync them if I'd ever care to do such a thing.

I thought the user interface on the HTC M8 and the build (metal case) seemed nicer, so I went with that over the waterproof plastic S5. Just dumped my 3 month old phone in water on Thursday. Trying to recover him in a ziploc bag full of rice, but not sure it's going to work. If I'd have gone with the S5 instead, I would have been OK.

That being said, this was the first time I've gotten any cell phone of mine wet in almost 20 years. So, I guess it's not THAT common of an occurrence. Still annoying.

I have to think the time when all of the top end phones are waterproof is near. Most of the brands are coming out with at least one waterproof phone lately. We'll see. I'm actually a bit surprised that apple hasn't jumped on that bandwagon. Perhaps they've been paid off by the lifeproof case folks, who knows.

For sure I like the handfeel of the HTC M8 better. I just wish you could have a trial/loaner period for a day or two rather than be tied for 2 years out of the chute, or paying $$$$$ to outright own it.

Doesn't Best Buy still have the 14 day return policy? I originally bought the Razr HD but then found out that BB price matches Amazon so I returned it within the 14 days and got the MAXX for the same price. No questions asked. A month or so ago a coworker bought the S5 but didn't like it and did the same thing, exchanging it for the M8.

Oh...I dunno about returns. I'll have to check into that.

Was looking at Costco because they're $99 for GS5 or HTC M8 instead of $199 (well, $199 last time I looked at BB and the Verizon store about a week ago).

You'll be happy with it from what I've read. Last time I looked they were $99 at costco and there was a $50 rebate bringing it down to $49. Great deal. My m8 is dead in the water (well, dead out of the water). Not sure what I'll buy now, but I have a feeling it'll be an S5.

My contract expires in Oct so I've been keeping an eye on the phones out there and what might be coming but none of them really impress me, mostly due to their asinine size. I'll be interested to see if Samsung comes out with a top of the line Galaxy yet this fall, seeing how the S5 was nothing more than a warmed over S4 which left a lot of people underwhelmed. Not to mention, they will be able to see Apple play their hand first in Sept when the I6 is revealed. Fingers crossed that Samsung rolls out a premier 4.7" to compete head to head with the new I6.

You'll be happy with it from what I've read. Last time I looked they were $99 at costco and there was a $50 rebate bringing it down to $49. Great deal. My m8 is dead in the water (well, dead out of the water). Not sure what I'll buy now, but I have a feeling it'll be an S5.

Yeah, they're like computers. Wait another week or two and it'll be cheaper...or something better for the same price.

Got mine at the local Verizon store for $99 since the $50 rebate at Costco seemed to be for upgrade only, not a new line.

My contract expires in Oct so I've been keeping an eye on the phones out there and what might be coming but none of them really impress me, mostly due to their asinine size. I'll be interested to see if Samsung comes out with a top of the line Galaxy yet this fall, seeing how the S5 was nothing more than a warmed over S4 which left a lot of people underwhelmed. Not to mention, they will be able to see Apple play their hand first in Sept when the I6 is revealed. Fingers crossed that Samsung rolls out a premier 4.7" to compete head to head with the new I6.

The Moto X looked OK for a smaller phone. Didn't check out any of the tech details though.

Considering I've only ever used a locked down Blackberry for the last several years, it would be virtually impossible for me to be underwhelmed by any current smartphone. I think that's what made it harder for me to decide. They all are a monumental step up.

That's why I'm kinda hoping they are saving it for this fall after Apple rolls their new phone out, except it won't be a stripped down version that manufacturers typically spec with their mini models. There are some spy shots/renderings of a smaller Samsung so maybe that's the next mini. Squared off case, too, which I prefer over the "organic" design.

I'm more than likely just throwing pennies down the wishing well, but I'd really like to see a manufacturer put out a fully featured phone with the latest and greatest hardware in a 4.7" or so size. I think that eventually screen size of most phones will settle into that 5" area once this race to go bigger and still call it a phone phase runs its course and people realize that carrying around a mini-tablet and holding it to their ear to make calls is ridiculous.

Seen this article and found it rather interesting.

This article has been circulating online: A famous restaurant in NYC decided to hire a firm to figure out why they kept getting bad reviews. What this firm discovered is quite interesting.

Below is a transcript that the restaurant posted on hsolist after they discovered what it was. Enjoyed it. It’s very eye opening…

people-kept-complaining-this-restaurant-

Probably the phablet folks just use those bluetooth earpiece things so that they can walk around talking to no one like a mentally ill street person and the phone stays in their pocket/purse.

My phone is the Flex with 6" screen. I love it. I can read and see so much more. I don't use an earpiece, just hold the giant up to my giant head. Now I look normal!!

So no ones likes the Apple phones??

I think Apple's products are good products if you want to be tied down to them. What I mean is you can't add more RAM to them, you can't just download what you want without it being approved, etc. With an android, I can by an 8 GB phone and add a 64 GB chip if I want. I can choose what apps I want regardless if they were approved by the manufacturer.