• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question for all you veteran archers

I am a female who started bow hunting 3 seasons ago and haven't taken a deer yet with my bow. I shoot as much as I can, and am a pretty good shot with my Diamond. I use a peep site and a mechanical release with a loop. I am the only hunter in my family now that my father has passed, but I hope to take a deer soon (and I hope he's watching).

I have recently had a conversation with another passionate archer who, after hearing that I have yet to take a deer, has opened up his property to me to hunt. He and his wife farm several hundred acres and he has shown me trail camera pictures of several large bucks in the 150 - 160 range. He says it would be as much fun for him to see me take my first deer with a bow as it will be for me. He only asks that if I continue to hunt his property year after year, that each buck be larger than the last. He has a couple stands on a field near the house where he promises me I will see over 20 deer each sit, and he says I can take whatever deer I want.

Now, my question.

He uses a kisser button and says it is way better than a peep site. Of course, he shoots 100lbs and I shoot 48lbs, and he doesn't get buck fever.

Should I consider changing to a kisser? I'm pretty comfy with my peep and really don't want to change now this close to season and still being so new to the sport.

You guys/gals have always given me great advice so I'm looking for some again. What do you think? peep? or kisser?

Thanks,

I used to use both a peep and kisser (brass nockset), but have since stopped using a peep. I have found apeep can be difficult to see through in certain conditions. I've also had issues in the past with a peep not rotating properly.

Use what workd for you. I use a peep and it has been fine for me for many years and I have taken my share plus of deer. Keep at it as it is worth your time in the woods, it will happen.

Just keep practicing when u can and in time, the deer will fall.

The first one is the toughest. You will learn when to stand when the deer will not see you and when to draw back.

Best advice I can give you is, if a doe walks by or any deer you are not going to shoot, practice getting up and drawing back on the deer, you will learn fast what you can and cannot get away with.

Some does with their fawns can be as hard to draw back on as a nervous buck.

Watch the wind direction also. Go as scent free as you can.

Stay with what you are comfortable with. I have shot a peep sight for 35 years. Dont think I could change either! On a further note., if you want to ever take a trip south you are very welcome to sit in one of my stands. Very good odd's that you can shoot either a small buck or a mature doe on any given night!

I'm sure you've checked this already but if your shooting a right handed bow, make sure you are right eye dominant. It makes a big difference if you are using a peep.

I had a buddy who shot right handed, but was left eye dominant and we could not get him dialed in with a peep. He was told to try just a kisser button and adjust the sight pin accordingly and it made a big difference.

All that being said, I use just a peep and so does my son, although we found out that he was left eye dominant, so he now shoots a left handed bow and also shoots a gun left handed...very well, I might add.

Nels

I use to use both, but now just use the peep. I think using both is a good way for a beginner to go. It gives a more consistent anchor. As one poster pointed out, a simple brass nock will work great. Just make sure it doesn't have a jagged edge on it that will tear at your skin when you release. Good luck and check the rules for northern MN. Many areas are bucks only, even for archers this year.

Thank you all so much for the great feedback. I have decided to stick with my peep site (and kisser anchor). I can't wait for the season to start. Keep your fingers crossed. If I get my first archery deer I'll try to post some pictures.

Thank you all again.