• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice time bass

EBass

I know it's a tad early, but you're thinking about it.

So bass still eat in the winter, and I've seen them being caught w/shinners and heard reports of others catching them through the ice. But I never have.

Where do they go and how would one try to target them or is it better to fish for walters and pike in the winter? Just wondering what people think or stories to share.

And the bass forum has been slow like Catchingwhopper said.

In my opinion, I don't think they should be targeted during hard water times, but like I said, my opinion. Seen lots of people pull true hogs through the ice and keep 'em, largemouth anyway. I think most people on this forum let almost everything go, though. I would think a bass caught during winter would put a great deal of stress on them as they fight, but who knows.
I think they should put a catch and release only season on largemouth during the winter, sort of like the current smallmouth season.
My 2 cents

Coach Dog

I've caught a largemouth thru the ice the last four years. One on a crappie jig and minner, two on tip-ups and shiners, and the last one on a little powerbait minner fishing for trout. It seems that in some lakes they are active in the winter, the Chisago area lakes are known to kick out a few under the ice. I guess I would target large weed flats if I wanted to pursue them.

I'll never eat a bass. Just want to catch them.

Any ways, I like that catch and release deal to.

You think that bass get stressed out more than any other fish caught in the winter? Is that just a thought or do you have a story behind that or actual facts you read or something. Just wondering - no big deal.

Ebass, Around the Alex. area during the first couple of weeks of safe ice we catch a number of bass. It's always been in shallow water (6-10 feet) in the areas that we normally catch gills and crappies. It seems after the first couple of weeks they move out to deeper water and no one targets them.

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

I've caught quite a few ice fishing, but never target them. They pull like a dead weight in the winter, so I wouldn't think it would be a lot of fun to target them in the winter.

Early winter they are still fairly active, even though the water temp. is well below their preferred temp. of 70 deg. I watched a few last ice season on my Aqua-Vu cruising around the bottom during first ice and they seemed to be more active than I would expect.

Largemouth bass are fairly aggressive during first and early ice, and late ice. Locating them can be quite easy too.

Largemouth bass tend to "slow" as the winter weeks go on. Their metabolism slows down and their feeding frenzies are almost non-existent. But they are still catchable throughout winter.

First/early ice:
Largemouth bass tend to locate where the most common abundance of forage is. Look for largemouths to hang out in the deeper portions on the shallower to mid-depth flats and bays. In most cases, you will find still standing weeds near by or amongst these areas. Look for nearby sharp breaks too, as these spots will likely hold early ice bass. Early ice bass often school together as well and you can catch more then one out of a single hole without moving. I like to punch holes over a large shallow flat with adequate weed growth as well as over the edges and hop from hole to hole when targeting early ice bass. If this shallow flat drops a few feet in a certain area that is directly adjacent to the weeds then you might have found a hot spot. Find the weed edge where the shallow hits the mid-depth (of the shallow flat) and you'll catch bass. Bass will hit jigging spoons and jigging rapalas but I've had most success fishing like I would for crappies. Small jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head or maggots, medium jig tipped with a small minnow, or even maggots.

Midwinter:
Bass will relocate to deeper edges as the ice thickens and winter moves on. Also look for bass to be roaming some of the deeper soft bottom flats as well. These areas are harder to fish because of size and limiting structure, but bass will be there feeding off of the forage/worms in the soft bottom. Mud seems to be key. The inside turns of mainlake points might also hold a few bass. These fish however, tend to be less active and harder to catch then the roaming or edge orientated fish. One of the key ingredients (same goes for most species) is transition areas. Areas where weeds meet open pockets, rocks to sand, mud to sand, etc are highly productive spots. If the lake you are fishing is relatively shallow, then I would concentrate on the deeper edges near points or weedlines. Smaller jigs tipped with maggots or small minnows work best during midwinter. I fish for them like I would gills. I've had best success with horizontal presentations.

Late ice:
Bass will start to roam back towards shallow edges and gradually return to early ice areas. As forage begins to relocate and water temps rise (along with melting ice, lack of snow cover, run-off, etc) bass will move shallower. Still look for bass to be hanging off the deeper edges though. If there are deep pockets off the mid-depth flats fish those too.

Although for any lake, conditions can vary, but these are the tactics that I've used in the past to help me catch bass through the ice. My biggest largemouths have came through the ice including a 6.5 pounder that I pulled up late ice last winter. If you are looking for consistent catches then early and late ice are the ticket. Midwinter tends to slow down and targeting other fish might be the best option. Last winter I watched a guy pull a 4 and 6 pound largemouth out of the same hole in a matter of five minutes using tip-ups during early ice. Its a matter of figuring out where they will be and when. If you can find them, catching them can be the easy part especially during early and late ice.

I'll post a few pictures of some hard water bass once I get my scanner back working.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

MJ5 - Good info!

Ebass,
Do I really need to explain how I catch them in the winter? j/k Actually the other night David Leterman was talking about a bear he had in his house. After 5 hours he called a kid that lived in town. He brought out a couple handfulls of M-80's and they tossed them in the bedroom window to wake the thing up and get him out the door.

I have never caught a bass throught the ice. I don't know of many people that have in the Duluth area. It would be cool to cut a 10' long hole in the ice and do some top water fishing in January!

I have been moving the last month or so and the boat got loaded up with S%&* so I just took the motor off for the winter. Way too many things to get done before the snow flakes come, and too bad catching a 21"+ isn't at the top of the list.

Later, Granny

[This message has been edited by Granny (edited 10-23-2003).]

LOL Granny, you somehow manage to put something about M80's into all the treads I get going - way too funny again LOL!

Thanks MJ5, I think I need to print out that book you just wrote. I was trying to picture the areas you're describing in my head and where on some of my favorite lakes here in the west metro. I'll have to scope out some new areas that I have in mind.

Here's another quick question. When does early ice turn into mid-season ice? Like is there a thickness you're looking for or calendar time?

EBass,

I appreciate the interest. I'm in the process of writing a book on crappies through the ice (location, patterns, periods, presentaiton, etc...bluegills might be added as well) so I'm in that frame of mind when I respond to questions like this. The book won't be done for a few years but its in the works. I know this is about bass but similar situations and patterns apply.

Midwinter can be different on different lakes and from any given year when it comes to ice conditions. Typically midwinter is when most of the weeds fully die off and ice thickens (sometimes increase in snow cover) and light penetration diminishes. As far as ice conditions are concerned I would classify midwinter as 8 or more inches. Snow cover can play a role too though. Air temps begin to decline as does daylight and more overcast days are occurring. Typically early ice only lasts a few weeks and then midwinter (or how you want to label it) begins. Fish patterns will gradually change although early ice patterns may still be used to catch fish. Like I said, the body of water can determine these patterns too.

Some years will have early ice and then a thaw, and then early ice again (I know that sounds weird but it happened just a few years back). Fishing was good during the first series of early ice and then fish spread out more during that second phase. Action was still fast in both occations though.

If I had to put a calender period for early ice I would say late November through late December (assuming there is ice in Novmeber). But some years will have early ice lasting into early January. Typically its about a 3 or maybe 4 week span. Can vary from year to year and lake to lake though.

Feel free to drop me an e-mail with any questions about your west metro lakes. Let me know the lake and maybe I can lead to a few spots.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 10-23-2003).]

I had never caught a bass through the ice until last year on Sunrise while fishing sunnies. There were a bunch swimming around, which suprised me (I thought they were really sluggish and just sat on the bottom). Anyways that day I caught 3 on small jig and waxie, along with the 3 we took on tip ups (released them all).

I always thought fish released in cold water had a better chance of survival? Is it to cold during ice season?

It's not even appealing to catch bass through the ice. I hate to even think of the frozen H2o it's not even comparable to open water.

My two cents on winter fishing, if it was a month long that would be perfect.

Open water fishing is better, but when in Rome..or shall I say the frozen tundra called Minnesota...

Ice fishing is fun to. It's like learing how to fish all over again. Plus, I have my portable, mr heater, two rods going, practically stare at my vex, and listen to the radio.

It's also a great way to get a bunch of people together and set up tips-ups for pike or whatever and cover a massive area.

Plus for people that don't have a boat this is the only time they can get on the water.

To me fishing is fishing no matter what time of year. I just want to get better at it.

For me Bass through the ice are generally quite fun as that I get them on light tackle while fishing for crappies, sunfish or Trout.

They put up a good fight on 2lb test. I've never gotten a real hawg, but I have seen a couple swimming around in shallow at late ice. When I go ice fishing, I'm just glad to have something tugging at the end of my line bigger than a mini perch or sunny.

Basspastor,

I'm with you, sure is fun fighting bass through the ice on light line. Often times that can be the key to catching a few more bass through the ice...light line and small jigs.

It's getting cold out there wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt

[email protected]

I've seen quite a few bass caught ice fishing. I lived in Hartford Ct. for 4 years, and bass and trout were the primary targets for the folks out there when ice fishing. Granted thier winters are much warmer than Mn., but I've seen some good catch's of bass through the ice. I myself fished for the trout, they had a decent trout fishery. smile.gif I also fished for "calico bass", a name they call crappies. Weird huh? In Wi. I've caught bass through the ice. One thing I noticed was that all the bass came from lakes and flowages that had similar characteristics. Shallower water, healthy weed growth, good oxygen content, and usualy spring fed or haveing a slow flow of water. Smaller lakes that are creek fed and spring fed seepage type lakes is where I've caught most of my bass. My theory's always been that this water being fed in is slightly warmer and containing more oxygen. confused.gif I dont target bass in the winter, but I do catch them while fishing other species of fish. They're fun to catch when fishing panfish. Since you're not "expecting" to catch bass you're thinking, "Wow, I got a 3 lb. bluegill! grin.gif....Only to find out it's a bass. frown.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Lets see some pics of these ice bass from you guys if you have them... Those make for interesting ice photo's (not the typical ice fishing photo that you normally see)... I've seen some of Matt's photo's from last season and they are very impressive...

Remember the season closes for bass in mid Feb. I think your best bet is early ice - coming real soon it looks like...

Anyone fish smallies through the ice? They are a much cool water fish and are still be pretty active during early winter.